6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2013 5:20 AM by Small Town Gal

Interactive sub headings back and forth

Small Town Gal Level 1

Dear All,

I'm working on an ePub in InDesign CC and have chapter headings with sub headings under them.  I would like people to be able to tap a sub-heading and jump ahead to that page with an interactive hyperlink, and I have successfully incorporated that interaction.  Now I want my reader to be able to jump back to the sub-headings list so that they can choose another sub heading and jump ahead to that page, but I can't seem to do that.  How can I accomplish a back and forth interaction from sub-heading list to heading and then back to sub-heading list?  I've tried cross reference, but I don't think that's what I need to accomplish this task.  Thanks.

Small Town Gal

• 1. Re: Interactive sub headings back and forth
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hyperlinks go only in one direction. I don't think you can build that in an EPUB in any way obvious to me.

If you're in a relatively "smart" EPUB reader like iBooks, it creates a reference at the bottom of the page to take you back, but it's not built into EPUB itself.

The reader of an EPUB should always be able, however, to use the Navigational TOC to go back to a heading if you've included it in the TOC style. Every EPUB reader I know of displays a Navigational TOC is some way (some less obvious than others).

• 2. Re: Interactive sub headings back and forth
            Small Town Gal Level 1

Dear Steve,

Thanks much.  If it can't be done I won't worry about it!    I will probably put this out in iBook form, too, but for right now I'm trying to get it all together in an ePub with InDesign.

Small Town Gal

• 3. Re: Interactive sub headings back and forth
              TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It can be done, but it requires 2 hyperlinks: one to take you there, and

one to take you back again. You've done the ones to take you there, so

now you need to do the ones to take you back again. A bit of work

(although its very scriptable).

Ariel

• 4. Re: Interactive sub headings back and forth
                Small Town Gal Level 1

Dear Ariel,

I tried to do the return by creating another hyperlink and changing the souce and direction links, but couldn't get that to work. I'll give it another shot, but I'm inclined to agree with Steve that it isn't possible...are you sure about your idea?

Small Town gal

YOU ARE CORRECT!  I was able to reverse the hyperlinks by inserting new hyperlinks.  The box started with http:/url so I thought that it was just for urls outside of the ePub book, but now I realize that I can change that heading to text anchor and that worked.  Thanks much for the second opinion!

Small Town Gal

• 5. Re: Interactive sub headings back and forth
                  TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Small Town gal,

I was pretty sure, but I just tested it. Yes -- it works normally. Try

making a simple 2-page document, with 2 text frames. In the first, write

"New York." In the second, write "Moscow". Select each in turn, and

create a hyperlink destination from them. (I'm sure you're very familiar

with this, just writing out the procedure to see where something went

wrong). Next, select each in turn and turn it into a hyperlink,

selecting for destination the other one. Now export a PDF with

hyperlinks ticked, and you'll get 2 pages, each with a phrase that links

to the other.

Ariel

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Interactive sub headings back and forth
                    Small Town Gal Level 1

Dear Ariel,

InDesign CC seems more than a little quirky in this procedure, but I was finally able to get it to work.  I have created my own website with Dreamweaver and have used hyperlinks in PDFs, so I am familiar with how to use them, but for some reason they sometimes don't show up in the hyperlinks panel in InDesgn CC after they are created, or the "reset" button doesn't clear up any errors.   Deleting and re-creating seemed to be the only solution for one particular link, because it kept locating the wrong link rather than the one that I wanted.  I finally got it cleared out and now everything works as I planned.

Also, I am working with an ePub, not a PDF.  I find the PDFs easier to work with, although I realize that both PDF and ePub can be exported from the same document,  but I'm slogging my way through.  From past experience, it seemed to me that a two-way hyperlink should work, but it took me a bit of trying to find the correct combinations to accomplish it!  Thanks again.

Small Town Gal