22 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2016 3:09 AM by Roei Tzoref

Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)

TheHound84 Level 1

Hey, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question and it seems like (hopefully) it's a one click easy fix but here goes.

When I import Photoshop files into After Effects the bounding boxes around the orignal grouped layers are the size of the project itself. To clarify the pre-existing layer "groups" in Photoshop that were converted to "compositions" in After Effects upon importing, all have bounding boxes that extend out to the dimensions of the entire project. When I click into the composition the layers have bounding boxes that mold to the layer size. I need the group/composition bounding box to extend to only the dimensions of the subsequent layers not the entire project. When I was using After Effects CS6 it reduced the bouding box of my group/compositions to the minimalist possible extent automatically. Now that I've been forced over to After Effects CC (on account that I use creative cloud) the bounding boxes are no longer conforming to the groups in the same manner.

I of course can find away around this by merging the groups and what not but I don't want to have to do that and I'm hoping there a little freaking check box or something that I'm not aware of. I don't know if this matters but I am using Windows 7 64bit. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you import as a composition select Retain Layer Sizes instead of Composition

comp.jpg

• 2. Re: Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)
            TheHound84 Level 1

Yeah that's exactly what I do .

It's what I've always done in fact. As I said before this was never an issue in CS6 it's only occuring now in CC and I'm doing the same thing.

I import the Photoshop file, and choose composition - retain layer sizes, and the bounding boxes around the converted groups that are now compositions are still the size of the entire project.

Any other ideas :\ hope so

I want to avoid having to merged all of the groups together or finding some other mickey mouse way of fixing this. the bounding boxes should conform to the composition but they're not

• 3. Re: Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Grouped layers come in as a nested composition. Inside the nested comp (group) the layer sizes are retained but I just confirmed that the size of the group in CC is the size of the comp and the size of the group in CS6 is the size of the layer group.

I'll have to take a look at the new features to see if this is a bug or a feature. I'd file a bug report.

• 4. Re: Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)
                TheHound84 Level 1

Thanks for the info. If you are infact goign to take look at the new features to determine whether it's a bug or not any chance you could report back here with your findings? I'd be happy to fill out a bug report if it is in fact a bug. I hope it's a bug otherwise what could possibly be the benefit of chaning that.

Thanks for your help so far.

• 5. Re: Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)
                  TheHound84 Level 1

I'm still searching for a solution for this problem. Is there anyway to get the bounding boxes to conform to the deminsions of the layers in the composition? I'm also still not sure if this is a bug or a change in After Effects CC. I've started merging my groups in Photoshop and creating new character files based on merged layers but I think that's a pretty lame way around this. I suppose I could create Null objects for each pivotable piece and parent it all that way but again I'd like to avoid mickey mousing it.

• 6. Re: Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)
                    Jamesmcw

So I take it this never got resolved in anyway? I'm trying to import my PSD groups into AE too and the grouped layers coming in without proper cropping is a complete pain in my backside! Previous versions never had this problem!

• 7. Re: Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)
                      TheHound84 Level 1

Yeah this problem never got officially resolved. For some reason they changed this in CC version of After Effects but as you said it was never like that in previous versions (at least it wasn't in CS6).

There are a couple of 'work-around' options for this problem but as I'm no expert I couldn't say whether these 'options' are the best way to handle this problem or not, just the best that I can come up with in my relatively limited experience and there are pros and cons to each... It also depends on what type of project you're working on. Anyway:

1) Go into your composition/group in After Effects and use the "Crop Region of Interest" function. This will readjust the bounding box to that composition but you'll need to resituate your composition so that it's in the right place as cropping the region of interest stupidly seems to moves it.

2) Create Null Objects and parent one of them to each moving composition. Situate all Null Object layers above your composition layers so each one is clickable

3) Create a special "group" in the Photoshop file you're working in and -copy- all of the layers in that Photoshop file into the new group that you just created. Merge all of the layers together that are meant to be a single moving object in After Effects. This will leave your original layers intact and when you import the PSD file into After Effects you'll have the merged layers you need that will automatically have appropriate bounding boxes.

• 8. Re: Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)
                        Bjorn Syse

This problem would be good if Adobe fixed.

• 9. Re: Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)
                          s0mnifer Level 1

Please, if other people visit the same page, click on the top option "I have the same question".

I found the best workaround to be a dummy object in PSD groups (that defines the group size) and the Auto crop script for cropping the composition later in AE.

Combined with the Move Anchor Point script it becomes pretty automated process, but still it shouldn't be that hard.

• 10. Re: Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)
                            Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

you are correct. this was always the case and I don't believe it's a bug since it's such a big thing to overlook. since CC the bounding box of precomps in the Master Comp have been changed to the entire composition. I wrote "in the Master Comp" because it is just an appearance of cropped box because both in CS6 and CC if you click inside your Precomp it will be in the dimensions of your composition and not the bounding box you saw before (i.e it will not be a composition with the boundary of the total elements inside excluding any blank space).

to further illustrate the issue:

this is photoshop - I have one element inside a group (that is destined to become a precomp in Ae)

once imported as a "composition - retain layer sizes" in CS6 it looks like this:

(I have made red lines around the shape to further illustrate the bounding box)

CS6:

this is how it looks once imported as a composition - retain layer sizes in CC and above.

(I have made red lines around the shape illustrate the bounding box)

CC And Above:

and like I said this have always been this way on Mac or Pc and this does not change the fact that the the object inside the precomp will be in a composition in dimensions of the Master Composition (and not the bounding box you saw before) IN BOTH AE VERSIONS.

a look inside - both CS6 AND CC will look like this when looking inside the precomp

so to summerize - when you got more than one layer inside a precomp (or PS Folder), the precomp will be in the size of the composition it was created in. (i.e HD, SD, etc.) and not cropped to the size of the elements inside. if you want to crop a composition you can do this in the composition settings or manually define a cropping box using "CROP to Region of Interest" or use this useful script

• 11. Re: Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)
                              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Under the hood, here's what really happens when retaining layer size – the layers inside the pre-comp are layer sized AND the parent comp layer gets the Collapse switch turned on, which changes the layer handles to encompass only the layers in the pre-comp. So, it’s not technically cropped, and the pre-comp still has the size of the original PSD document (if you want that changed, I'd suggest you file a detailed feature request explaining how you would want it to be different and why).

One oddball problem is that the handles on import act oddly if you try to drag re-size. I'm sure they'll have a go at fixing that if you pop it into a bug report.

• 12. Re: Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)

Bjorn Syse wrote:

This problem would be good if Adobe fixed.

It is fixed in After Effects version 13.8, by the way. (CC 2015.3)

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)

Cool! it's been 3 years (ever since CC) that this useful feature has been avoided from us and now it's Back. thank you Adobe for teaching us to not take features for granted.

on a more serious note: this is exactly the kind of thing I was waiting to hear about from from Adobe's program team - telling us what has changed in those little features that are so important. it's been a month since the release and still not a detailed release of all the bug and little features that has been changed. I miss Todd!

I mean he was all over the place. now his replacement is on a pseudonym nickname - level 1, and rarely comments or posts about anything - not here, not in the AE list. maybe Todd was just doing way over what he was supposed too. this is not personal - just principal - we need support - scratch that! we need Information!

• 14. Re: Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)

Yooofi wrote:

maybe Todd was just doing way over what he was supposed too.

He did. If you see any AE team members in here, they are volunteering their time. Todd did it A LOT! His replacement, Victoria, listens a lot in the forums (I know because I had a chance to chat with her in person at NAB). With Todd's departure from Adobe, Tim has become a lot more active in these forums and he's started doing blog posts giving us more detail about the new version of AE. Like this post about the new GPU-accelerated effects.

• 15. Re: Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)

guess he got us used to this kind of thing and now he's gone where are all the new features? (the little things) are we supposed to explore it ourselves and tell each other? because that's what's happening. at least we have a wonderful sharing contributing community with people spending so much time and energy to help each other. so thankful for the Ae community which I believe is the best of any software to my knowledge.

• 16. Re: Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)

Maybe Adobe marketing folks were, like, "Don't talk too much about it; we're pretending this isn't a new release by calling it CC 2015.3, so just pretend there isn't much going on."

Seriously though, we never really had a full list of bug fixes. Even Todd's posts always said, "and lots of minor bug fixes." I think I remember Tim or Victoria saying that they were planning to do more in-depth posts about new features than we've had in the past. As the GPU-effect article I linked demonstrates, they're sharing a LOT of information about some of these new features.

• 18. Re: Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)

This post from Victoria is kind of like that. And, you'll notice, they've started adding links to the more in-depth blog posts from each bullet point.

• 19. Re: Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)

thanks for that. this longer than last time I saw it. o.k so they are adding to this link bit by bit...guess I will keep track on this.  do you think they add it because they don't know and only after we already talk about it - you see it there? wouldn't that be something.

• 20. Re: Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)

No. It's always been there as far as I recall. The only changes I've seen to that post is that they're adding links to the more in-depth blog posts as they get written. The rest of those details were there on launch day.

• 21. Re: Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)
                                                brs22634147

Not really in fact, the bounding box is correct but the composition itself is at the size of the whole document, so that make the anchor point not correct at all....

• 22. Re: Bounding Boxes (Importing Photoshop to After Effects)
                                                  Not really in fact, the bounding box is correct but the composition itself is at the size of the whole document, so that make the anchor point not correct at all....

yes, since the comp inside is at the size of the whole document, the anchor point will be at the center of it. you can always drag the anchor point and snap it by clicking Ctrl/Cmd and snapping it to the contents (since collapsed switch is on, it will detect the cropped bounding box of the composite of the elements inside). I have noticed a kind of bug though sometimes with the anchor point getting away. still investigating.