10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2014 11:44 PM by MatejKriz

Custom Page Sizes

creativewhitt

Can I import my custom page sizes I've created in InDesign CS6 to InDesign CC?

• 1. Re: Custom Page Sizes
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm pretty sure that's not possible. They'll probably have to be recreated.

In the Custom Page Size dialog box, there are buttons to Add or Delete page sizes. If that information could be stored externally, there would Export and Import buttons and a file format to store the information. But those buttons are not there.

• 2. Re: Custom Page Sizes
            creativewhitt Level 1

That's what I was thinking, but before I started recreating I figured I'd ask. Thanks for your feedback!

• 3. Re: Custom Page Sizes
              roenoz Level 2

Yes you can, but you need to do it a little bit tricky. But that's not too hard.

If you are using Mac OSX just follow this simple steps.

Quit Adobe InDesign CC or Adobe InDesign CS6 if they are currently opened.

1. Go to folder

HD -> Users -> Username -> Library -> Preferences -> Adobe InDesign

Note: You need to unhide the "Library" folder since by default it is hidden.

2. You can see different folder named "Version XX"

Open the folder named Version 8.0 -> en_US -> 

Copy "InDesign Defaults"

Also copy the folder "Page Sizes" if you created a Custom Page Size that you did not save as Document Preset

3. Go to folder

Version 9.0 (Backup your Adobe CC InDesign Defaults. Ex. Renaming them into InDesign Default (Backup)

Paste the the file you copied from your Version 8 folder

"InDesign Defaults" and "Page Sizes"

4. Open up Adobe InDesign CC, the open up File -> New.

There you have all your document preset and document custom size.

If you are using Microsoft Windows 7 or 8

The location of Adobe InDesign Preference is

My Computer -> Local Disk -> [hidden folder] Program Data -> Adobe InDesign

• 4. Re: Custom Page Sizes

I would suspect to long-term success of replacing a newer version of InDesign preferences (which is what InDesign Defaults is) with the older version of ID preferences. People have run into a lot of problems trying to import keyboard shortcuts or workspaces from older versions. It may work in the short term, but cause more problems in the long term.

• 5. Re: Custom Page Sizes
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

What you can do is to load Master page from an older document. These master pages can have different page sizes too.

• 6. Re: Custom Page Sizes

Good suggestion, Willi!

• 7. Re: Custom Page Sizes
                      MatejKriz Level 1

In new versions of InDesign is new function SYNC of user setting, but CUSTOM page sizes are not included. Unbelievable... :/

• 8. Re: Custom Page Sizes
                        Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Page sizes are not a part of preferences, they are part of a specific document. You can load masters from other documents as you can do with styles or colors too. SO it is correct.

• 9. Re: Custom Page Sizes
                          MatejKriz Level 1

I mean this:

ScreenClip[4].png

then you use them wen you creating NEW FILES or NEW alternative layout.

ScreenClip[3].png

• 10. Re: Custom Page Sizes
                            MatejKriz Level 1

roenoz : thanx, copying "Page Sizes" (contains one file "New Page Sizes.xml") to new version works

Its really simple, but I still don't understand why I should care about thinks like this.. InDesign is a legend, expensive program, this is weird.

Put this feature in to Sync option should be for InDesign DEVELOPERS peace of cake.

I created a feature request  and start dist discussion: Whish list: Sync also "custom" page sizes. Pleeease.