5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2013 11:34 PM by shooternz

Trimming only one of adjacent clips

OsakaWebbie Level 1

Okay, this will be an easy question for someone, I'm sure, but not knowing the terminology, searches are coming up empty.  I just jumped from CS3 to CS6 and am adjusting to a lot of changes - one is this: When I have two clips that are touching each other on a track and I want to trim one of them away from the other to leave a gap (where the lower track would show through), it would be simple in CS3 - with the regular select tool, I would just get near the edge of the clip I want to trim and drag the end of it away from the other one.  But in CS6, I have only found two choices: the red double-arrowed combo trim (which works on both clips, not just one) or the yellow ripple-trim (also not what I'm trying to do).  So far the only way I have figured out how to do what I want is to use the razor tool to slice the clip, then select the unwanted little piece and delete it.  I'm doing this over and over, but it's getting annoying - is there an easier way?

• 1. Re: Trimming only one of adjacent clips
          shooternz Level 6

Absolutely.

You need to find a little tutorial on 'Editing Modes'.

An editing mode is how the edit point is controlled by the mode selected.

The default Mode(when you click on the edit point) is  the double red bar (Trim)

Other modes represented by:  Red Left, Red Right, Yellow Left, Yellow Right

Recognising the edit modes is important and knowing what they do is vital to efficiency.

I have customised mine (keyboard short cuts) so cant give you a lesson  without getting you to customise as well....but a Video Tutorial will help  - eg. Adobe TV

BTW - you can still mouse drag edit points on clips... but you need to select the mode you want first. Try positioning your mouse ponter at different points near edit point in conjunction with the modifier key CTRL.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Trimming only one of adjacent clips
            OsakaWebbie Level 1

Aha!  Ctrl in conjuction with the the normal actions (what all the noob tutorials think you should be able to do without holding down any other keys) gave me the one-sided red arrow that was previously elusive.  Thanks!

I had already watched some video tutorials a few weeks ago, and changed some settings to work with what I thought would be my new workflow (at the time I thought I would be using the "Multicam" feature, so the cleanup work on the timeline would be mostly the double-red-arrow type, but later I discovered that Multicam doesn't keep all the audio tracks, so that won't really work for me).  I'm not a full-time editor, so I had since forgotten what I had done - I now remember.  For anyone who finds this thread later, it's the checkbox "Allow Selection tool to choose Roll and Ripple trims without modifier key" - the box is unchecked by default, but if you are having the trouble I was describing as the OP, perhaps you have checked the box for some reason in the past (it might be handy in some cases, but it's definitely different behavior from previous versions of PPro).

• 3. Re: Trimming only one of adjacent clips
              shooternz Level 6

Sorry ..I meant to mention

"Allow Selection tool to choose Roll and Ripple trims without modifier key"

but you found it any way.

FWIW: I have modified my  keyboard so that Shift-Z will toggle thru the Edit Modes once selected.   I select usually by using "T" (Trim Mode) and occasionaly the mouse.

Then my edit is usually done with "E" Trim to Playhead ...which will utilise any of the edit Modes as selected.

HAving the Trim Monitor open thru this is a bonus and I utilise that as well.  It has the frame counter so thats handy also.

• 4. Re: Trimming only one of adjacent clips
                OsakaWebbie Level 1

What a hoot!  I have been using Premiere for over ten years, since version 6.5, and studied various books, videos, etc., but this was the first time I remember even noticing the term "Trim Monitor".  I just now Googled it and watched a video tutorial on it, and the whole time the guy referred to it as the "old way of doing trims", as if I was supposed to have been trimming clips that way in the past but would hereafter be learning how to do them directly on the timeline.  For the types of projects I usually do I don't know if I would ever need that kind of precision, but it's nice to know about it.

PPro is a vast ocean of functionality that I will never even come close to exploring fully!

• 5. Re: Trimming only one of adjacent clips
                  shooternz Level 6

Thing  we say about Premiere..

"there is more than one way to skin the cat".