16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2013 7:24 PM by A.T. Romano

Audio progressively lags video even when not edited

Flower_Explosions+

I had Adobe Premiere Elements 11 installed on a now unused SSD and it worked very well.  Since then, I installed the same software on a new, larger SSD and I am now having problems with sound lagging behind the video.  This issue worsens as the video being reviewed on the screen moves further toward its end.  After an hour of video, there is a several second lag of sound versus the video.  The video at this stage has no editing performed on it.  It is the original file, which plays perfectly  with Windows 7, 64 Bit Media Player.  This issue renders this installation of Elements 11 useless.  The video appears very well, like the original.  The sound itself is also normal.  My original installation on the old SSD did not have this issue.

How do I fix this?

Bernie

• 1. Re: Audio progressively lags video even when not edited
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bernie

Lets us go after the core of the issue with details.

Is this issue restricted to one video file of one video audio format or does it apply to any video audio format that you place on the Premiere Elements 11 Timeline?

For now let us target a specific video with the issue. What are the video and audio properties of this video and from what camera did it come? Here we are looking for video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, aspect ratio, file extension, duration. Could you supply a properties readout for the file in question:

MediaInfo

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

gspot (seeking codec status)

http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/quick_start.html

In this context, what are you or the program setting as the Premiere Elements 11 project preset?

I realize that your focus is on the SSD drives, but I think we need to look at other areas as well. The typical drill questions...video and audio card drivers up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer; how much total and free hard drive space does that SSD drive have, previous versus current.  How much installed and total RAM does your computer have? Is the computer optimized? Where are your Scratch Files directed and how much free space is there at that location? Are you working with supplemental drives + this new SSD drive?

Please review the above, report the results, and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Audio progressively lags video even when not edited
            Flower_Explosions+ Level 1

Thank you ATR.

It is too late into the night to continue this conversation.  I will

report back tomorrow with the file's technical information.  It is a

M2TS video recording, not from a camera.  And, the same recording

formats worked very well before I re-installed the software into this

new SSD.

Bernie

• 3. Re: Audio progressively lags video even when not edited
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bernie

We will be watching for your follow up. It is after midnight where I am so I will be calling it a day soon also.

Looking forward to those properties readouts.

But, any chance anything else was changed when you replaced the SSD?

We will weigh all factors and hope to get to the core of the matter.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Audio progressively lags video even when not edited

Hi ATR, here is information:

1-  I upgraded my motherboard from a 3Gbps to a 6Gbps e-sata machine

(Asus).  The old one was Gigabyte.  The new motherboard has a nice built

in audio system, while in the Gigabyte motherboard I used an Asus Audio

card.  The idea was to update the entire computer and OS while keeping

my data HDDs.  Other than the issue at hand, this configuration is now

problem free.

2-  Along with the new 120GB SSD, I also installed Windows 7 64 bit

SP1.  The old SSD had Windows 7 bit hodge podge updates, and began

giving me an unbelievable amount of trouble, _but the lip sync was

always dead on in Premiere Elements 11_.

3-  The video file in question is a TV show, where I wanted to cut out

the commercials, but the lipsync was off by about 3 seconds when the

video was close to 1 hour done.

4-  Here are the properties:

As I said, this video plays correctly with Windows Media Player, but has

the lipsync issue when playing on Premiere Elements without any editing

having been done, I.e. in it's original format.  The lipsync issue is

exactly the same after cutting out the commercials as when I played it

in Premiere before editing.

(Interestingly, I also burned a DVD from a video file using Freemake

Video Converter, and the DVD had the same issue, where the original file

also played correctly on Windows Media Player.  When I used another

software to burn the video to DVD no issues.)

That's about all that I can think of providing.  I hope this gets the

process going,

Bernie

• 5. Re: Audio progressively lags video even when not edited
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bernie

Thanks for the additional information.

Did you overlook posting the screenshot of the properties after your wrote

4-  Here are the properties:

when you were responding to my question on properties and request for readout for your video audio from

MediaInfo (Tree View)

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

gspot (seeking codec status)

http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/quick_start.html

Also, when you were burning to DVD-VIDEO on DVD with Freemake Video Converter and ran into a DVD with this audio issue, where you burning to DVD-VIDEO Standard or Widescreen on the DVD disc? And, what were the properties of the video involved at that time?

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Audio progressively lags video even when not edited

I placed it into the message.  Here it is in attachments.  Regarding the

Freemake video burn, the file was widescreen and it played back

correctly in widescreen except for the lipsync issue.

I have to research the video info.

Bernie

• 7. Re: Audio progressively lags video even when not edited

Here is the Freemake video properties file (CaptureVHS).  It was a VHS

tape recording, where the 4:3 format stretched to 16:9.

The burning properties are (CaptureVHSBurn)

Bernie

• 8. Re: Audio progressively lags video even when not edited

Hi ATR,

I am calling it a night.

Enjoy your's,

Bernie

• 9. Re: Audio progressively lags video even when not edited
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bernie

It is probably getting late where you are also. So, I will mention where I do need clarification to proceed and then we can continue tomorrow.

From what you have written I get the impression that your focus is those SSD drives and Premiere Elements 11. Could be. But, I need to rule in or out the more likely scenario for me that the issue goes to the video file itself with regard to video and audio compression issues in processing the file from its origins to the Premiere Elements Timeline.

For some reason, the properties readouts for the file are not getting posted. We can go into suggestions for doing that. But right now here is what I need clarification on.

1. Earlier on you said that your original file had a .m2ts file extension and later suggested that it is a recording of a TV program. That .m2ts is just a file extension (wrapper format) that wraps the video and audio compression which I believe are at issue here. I am trying to find out what the video and audio compression (along with other file properties, such as frame size, frame rate, aspect ratio) are for this .m2ts file which seems to be at the start of all.

2. What did your TV recorder record it to: a DVD disc, a memory card, VHS tape, other?

3. From the recorder, how did the .m2ts get to the computer and then into Premiere Elements 11?

What set me off course a bit was your latest report regarding the Freemaker Video Converter. How did this factor into the issue that you present? Are you reporting that as an aside and the results for that side study or are you indicating the the .m2ts went into that Freemaker Video Converter, was converted to something, and that something is what you are trying to deal with in Premiere Elements 11 Window XP? Right now I am interpreting it as a side test you did.

This is the part that caught my attention

Here is the Freemake video properties file (CaptureVHS).  It was a VHS

tape recording, where the 4:3 format stretched to 16:9.

Please clarify. Is it possible that you are saying that your file originated as a recording to a VHS Taping of the TV program? If that is the case, how does the .m2ts enter the equation? Going from a 4:3 video format to a 16:9 video format might be a key factor in this audio out of sync issue.

Please review so we can get this out of the way and move on to other factors if the above does not apply.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Audio progressively lags video even when not edited

ATR,

The only reason why the SSD drive was a point was to assure that I am

not having a licensing issue with Adobe.  That, because my original

installation was on a now unused SSD.  That's the only reason for

mentioning this.  Also, the original installation on the old SSD had no

issues with any of my video files, no matter what their origin.  My

prtoble is ONLY with this current installation of Premiere.

The properties were in the attachments of the e-mail.

All of my recordings are in M2TS format before and now.  The files have

not changed from the prior installation to this one.

My Cable box was the original recording media.  I then played the show

back and recored it directly to one of my hard drives.

That file from the hard drive played correctly in Media Player with no

sync issues.  When I dragged the file into Premiere and played it back

there, the sync issue showed up.

The only reason that I also mentioned the sync issue with a file burned

to DVD, is because it relates somehow.  I just don't know how.....  I

used another DVD burning program after that and there was no sync issue.

My sense tells me that my new installation of Premiere is somehow

flawed, and I need to know what to do about it.

The attachment is the property file of the M2TS recording that I dragged

into Premiere.

I thank you for you attention and help!

Bernie

• 11. Re: Audio progressively lags video even when not edited
                              nealeh Level 5

Flower_Explosions+ wrote:

The properties were in the attachments of the e-mail.

Email attachments are not showing. You will need to login to the forum via a web browsers to add your attachments to a post, using the Insert Image icon.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 12. Re: Audio progressively lags video even when not edited
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Good morning Bernie.

I decided to work on your thread this morning rather than late last night so that I would provide a fresh start.

1. Repeatedly I have asked for a screenshot of your file's properties. And repeatedly you have said that the screenshot has been posted. Yet no screenshot has been appearing here. Please check out the following detailed route for compiling with the request to confirm that is what you are doing.

a. Open your web browser, Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer.

b. Open to the Premiere Elements Forum at Adobe and enter your thread.

c. Hit the Reply button to the message to which you want to reply.

d. Look at the space above the Reply message area for the Insert Image button and click on that:

Bernie-1.jpg

e. Next you will see the following Image Insert dialog:

Bernie-2.jpg

f. After you select your jpg showing the properties, you will see the file name listed to the right

of the word Browse. If you do, then make sure you have the mouse cursor at the spot for insertion into the post,

and then click Insert Image.

Bernie-3.jpg

Now for my rationale for pressing the matter of seeing the properties readout for your file that is importing into Premiere Elements with audio out of sync.

1. The origin that you describe for this video point to ruling out at the onset what you have (other than just .m2ts file extension). One of the remedies might be to convert the file to another format in the path from origin to Premiere Elements Timeline. But we need to know the details of what we are starting with, especially as it relates to what you wrote

My Cable box was the original recording media.  I then played the show

back and recorded it directly to one of my hard drives.

The settings for that "....recorded it directly to one of my hard drives." would be important information.

2. Reports of audio out of sync are not uncommon on Timelines with a video file of long duration. If all remedies fail, there can be the following fall back:

a. right click the video, from pop up menu select Unlink Video and Audio.

b. go back to the Timeline and nudge the audio into sync via by holding down the Alt or Alt+Shift and the right or left arrow keys.

If you hold down the Alt key and tap the right or left arrow key once, you get a one frame nudge.

If you hold down the Alt key plus the Shift key (together) and tap the right or left arrow key once, you get a 5 frame nudge.

3. A lot has been mentioned in this thread, so pardon if I am repeating this. Look at playback of the rendered Timeline (no colored line or green line over the entire content of the Timeline). Do you get the out of sync audio at this time when you play back the rendered Timeline content?

4. Also, project settings are important to all this. So, properties readouts are important so that we are not overlooking anything in the decision for the project preset which can affect the results.

5. All that you have written including your computer changes and DVD testing are important. But they are parts of that we need to factor into or out of the troubleshooting and issue resolution. Be assured that I am not ignoring what you wrote

Also, the original installation on the old SSD had no

issues with any of my video files, no matter what their origin.  My

prtoble is ONLY with this current installation of Premiere.

Please review the above and then we can decide what next.

ATR

• 13. Re: Audio progressively lags video even when not edited

OK ATR,

Once again, thank you for your reply.

So, I went on the Adobe form and found my current thread and the related

e-mails.  I hit reply, and all that happens is that the message stream

moves up.

Also, I am not finding any of the symbols that you have put into this

message.

By the way, I am responding by e-mail here.  All asked for information

were attached to my e-mails, they were all .png extensions, not .jpeg.

Since the forum discussion is not working as you mentioned, I am

attaching the recording information as a jpeg this time.  This is the

recording off the cable box directly to my HDD.  Maybe you can receive

jpeg and not png files.

As long as I am responding here, I just wanted to say again that the

sync problem only appeared with this new install of Premiere.  I never

had the problem in the old / original install of Premiere.

Based on the thread information, I take it that you are not affiliated

with Adobe, but are a private person, who decided to want to help me on

this.  Is that correct?

Would it be possible to carry this conversation on via e-mail, instead

on the forum?  That way you will certainly receive my attachments.

Bernie

• 14. Re: Audio progressively lags video even when not edited

Hi ATR,

As a result of all your urgings, I decided to try a few experiments, and

I have some early results.

I will try again tomorrow night, and I will let you know how it went. 

It is too late to continue tonight.  So, lets suspend communications

until I have some results to share.

Bernie

• 15. Re: Audio progressively lags video even when not edited

Hi ATR.

Firstly I want to thank you for the time that you spent in communicating

with me on this issue.  I really appreciate the help!

So, on to the current condition:

After this last message of your's I decided to play around some with my

accumulation of recorded videos.  Every one, except for the one that

caused me to ask for help worked just fine in Premiere Elements 11.

I found that the one video that didn't was also a corrupted recording. 

I did not discover that until I tried re-recording it and playing it

back again in Premiere.

Bottom line, no Premiere Elements 11 issues.  It was a recording issue.

Thanks a lot ATR!

Bernie

• 16. Re: Audio progressively lags video even when not edited
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Bernie

Thank you for the great news. We are so very pleased with your results. Great job.

Your follow up is much appreciated. All the best for all great project moving forward.

ATR