7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 8:34 AM by John T Smith

Video production laptop specs

Umed Annaniaz

Hi folks,

I'm planning to purchase a laptop for video production. Specially for AE and premiere pro, and some gaming. I had asked a similar question before, but just after the new chips got released, so I waited.

(I'm not very experienced, so please forgive some simple questions)

Here is my configuration (numbered to make it easy to comment) and some questions:

1- Intel Core i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz, quad core, 6mb cache, turbo mode 3.4GHz, 47W)

2- NVIDIA Geforce GTX 770m

3- RAM 4x8 32GB DDR3-1600MHz (an IT guy told me that current systems can make use of up to 12gb of ram only. Is that true. Should I be going for 8+4gb ram?)

4- 256gb ssd Samsung 840 PRO

5- 1TB + 8GB SSD, 64mb cache (so this 1tb hdd is supposed to have ssd speed. I chose it for storing my 150+gb video projects and my movies. speaking of storage, is it advised to have a ssd for the OS and software, and a fast and larger hdd to store the videos/the project so that the software can access it quickly? It's not advised to have both the software and the project vids on the same hdd. Is this correct?)

6- What shall I do with the msata slots? Are they the same as the usual SSDs but just smaller?

7- Which screen shall I choose: some say go for "17.3 inch Full HD Non-Glare - 72% Gamut (AUO B173HW01 V4)" and some say "17.3 inch Full HD Glare - 90% Gamut (AUO B173HW01 V5)".

8- Wireless / Bluetooth: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 dual band AGN (2.4/5GHz), 300mbps + bluetooth 4.0 (wireless display)

9- Do you think by now win8 is developed enough? Or shall I go for win7?

The link is below in case I've left something out. It's a Dutch website but the names of the parts are the same:

http://www.bto.eu/html/configureer.asp?PartnerID=1&DisplayPartnerID=1&ProductID=619&lang=n l

Greetings,

Umed

• 1. Re: Video production laptop specs
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> an IT guy told me that current systems can make use of up to 12gb of ram only

Current operating systems, Premiere Pro, and After Effects can all make use of far more RAM than that. I don't know what this person was talking about.

• 2. Re: Video production laptop specs
            Kranex1 Level 1

Umed Annaniaz wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm planning to purchase a laptop for video production. Specially for AE and premiere pro, and some gaming. I had asked a similar question before, but just after the new chips got released, so I waited.

(I'm not very experienced, so please forgive some simple questions)

Here is my configuration (numbered to make it easy to comment) and some questions:

1- Intel Core i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz, quad core, 6mb cache, turbo mode 3.4GHz, 47W)

2- NVIDIA Geforce GTX 770m

This is a gaming GPU so keep that in mind. Its less accurate but a whole lot cheaper than its Quadro pro varient. Because its faster, many editors claim its better. But that's a choice you'll have to make.

3- RAM 4x8 32GB DDR3-1600MHz (an IT guy told me that current systems can make use of up to 12gb of ram only. Is that true. Should I be going for 8+4gb ram?)

If that's all it can hold then yes. Otherwise, your system should be able to hand the maximum amount so go for it.

4- 256gb ssd Samsung 840 PRO

Leave enough free space (unallocated) for overprivisioning (30-50%). Otherwise, you'll need a larger drive.

5- 1TB + 8GB SSD, 64mb cache (so this 1tb hdd is supposed to have ssd speed. I chose it for storing my 150+gb video projects and my movies. speaking of storage, is it advised to have a ssd for the OS and software, and a fast and larger hdd to store the videos/the project so that the software can access it quickly?

That is the general consensus.

It's not advised to have both the software and the project vids on the same hdd. Is this correct?)

It is. The more you can keep things on a separate dedicated drive the more efficient your system will be.

6- What shall I do with the msata slots? Are they the same as the usual SSDs but just smaller?

Why put an mSATA drive in it. The more drives the better.

7- Which screen shall I choose: some say go for "17.3 inch Full HD Non-Glare - 72% Gamut (AUO B173HW01 V4)" and some say "17.3 inch Full HD Glare - 90% Gamut (AUO B173HW01 V5)".

Only you can decide between glossy and matte. Otherwise, the higher the gamut/resolution/color space/bit depth the better.

8- Wireless / Bluetooth: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 dual band AGN (2.4/5GHz), 300mbps + bluetooth 4.0 (wireless display)

Again, a personal choice. You decide what you need.

9- Do you think by now win8 is developed enough? Or shall I go for win7?

W8 works well enough for me. Good luck.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Video production laptop specs
              Umed Annaniaz Level 1

I dont think he knew what he was talking about either.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Video production laptop specs
                Umed Annaniaz Level 1

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. It is very helpful.

• 5. Re: Video production laptop specs
                  Umed Annaniaz Level 1

Guys I'm afraid I just noticed an issue with my config. Gtx770 is not supported for gpu acceleration. Does anybody know if it will be supported in the future?

• 6. Re: Video production laptop specs
                    Kranex1 Level 1
                    5. Umed Annaniaz,

Jul 26, 2013 5:21 AM

Guys I'm afraid I just noticed an issue with my config. Gtx770 is not supported for gpu acceleration. Does anybody know if it will be supported in the future?

Fortunatley, any card with at least 1GB or RAM will work. If its not listed (most cards aren't) just place it in yourself using copy/paste via notepad or one of the other methods available on line.

• 7. Re: Video production laptop specs
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

with at least 1Gig of video ram, use the nVidia Hack http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557 - which is a simple entry in a "supported cards" file