7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2014 4:51 AM by laurenas13

Minimised document window issue.

Gus_100

InDesign CC: How can I stop minimised document windows from automatically reopening when I open or close another window?

• 1. Re: Minimised document window issue.
          tonyharmer Level 3

Hi

Could you give just a little more info? Are you on a mac or windows?

• 2. Re: Minimised document window issue.
            Gus_100 Level 1

Hi,

I use a mac. Its an issue I've had in later versions Indesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. When switching between the applications I find myself forever minimising windows that automatically reopen, when I'd rather they would just stay minimised in the dock.

• 3. Re: Minimised document window issue.
              tonyharmer Level 3

Hi

Ok, are you minimising them to the dock (by clicking the amber "traffic light" at the top left of the window or using cmd-m? If so, that's the probaly macOS restoring them when you switch back to the app.

Why not try turning on the application frame (window > application frame) and having your documents in tabs instead - it is a much cleaner way to work if you have to keep loads of documents open. They are still occupying space in memory after all, even when they are minimised.

Having said that, the application frame isn't to everyone's taste but do give it a try!

• 4. Re: Minimised document window issue.
                Gus_100 Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. I minimise using the amber "traffic light". Im not a fan of tabs or the application frame as I work from multiple applications at once cutting and pasting different elements, I like to drag things between windows. I also like having the small thumnail of each open document in the dock, so I can easly open what I need.

The automatic opening of windows has only started to happen with Indesign since I upgraded to CC. I was hoping there was just a tick box or something like that hidden in the prefrences that I'd been missing.

• 5. Re: Minimised document window issue.
                  tonyharmer Level 3

Hi

I can see where you're coming from and work in a very similar way (minus the thumbnails bit). I use Bridge in compact mode when it gets to that level of complexity.

I have just tried to replicate your problem though in CC and CS6 but can't seem to do so - I also can't hink off the top of my head of any preference in ID that's going to help you there, sorry.

• 6. Re: Minimised document window issue.
                    Gus_100 Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for your help, I'm thinking it may be something to do with the mac OS as you suggested. I guess I'll explore that route, see if I have any joy.

• 7. Re: Minimised document window issue.
                      laurenas13

Hi Gus_100,

I've only just upgraded to CC and am having the same issue as you for the same reasons.

Did you ever find a solution?

Or has anyone else found a way to stop this happening?