10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2013 1:52 PM by nealeh

Portrait oriented photos are rotated in Instant Movies

Columnar

When I create an Instant Movie in Premiere Elements 11 for Mac, any stills that are included that are shot in portrait orientation get rotated 90 degrees to the left and are diplayed on their sides during the movie.  They display correctly in the organizer and when viewed in Preview, but the act of putting them in an Instant Movie flips them on their sides.  I've looked through all the settings and preferences that I can find to look for a way to prevent this from happening, but I haven't found it.  I can go into the timeline and then flip the photos back one at a time, but what a pain.

• 1. Re: Portrait oriented photos are rotated in Instant Movies
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Columnar

Is this a "it worked before but now" type problem or "it never worked before" type?

Next, what are the pixel dimensions of the photos that you are putting into this Instant Movie? How many of the are there landscape as well as portrait oriented?

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On..Nonetheless, I will also check it out with my Premiere Elements 11 to see if I get the same effect with portrait oriented photos in that Instant Movie feature. I do not recall if I ever used portrait oriented photos in Instant Movie.

• 2. Re: Portrait oriented photos are rotated in Instant Movies
            Columnar Level 1

When I used PE 7 for Windows I never had the problem (but stills were imported as a slide show from Photoshop elements and were edited thereand them brought to the Premeire Elements timeline).  Since changing to PE 11 mac I've seen this happening. Photos are 4000 X 3000 pixels.  It doesn't matter if there's 1 or 20, the portrait oriented ones are flipped flipped Screen Shot.jpg

• 3. Re: Portrait oriented photos are rotated in Instant Movies
              nealeh Level 5

While it may look 'right' in Organizer you'll need to rotate the actual image file itself (which from your camera will have been saved as a 4,000 x 3,000).

If they are JPEGs I've occasionally used the freeware JPEG lossless rotator, but you can rotate it in PSE. You can also rotate it in PRE with the Transform effect.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 4. Re: Portrait oriented photos are rotated in Instant Movies
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Columnar

• What do your computer resources look like? I know you are running Premiere Elements 11 Mac, but how much installed and available RAM and free hard drive space?

and

• What orientation are these images when viewed at their hard drive save location?

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, but basically Premiere Elements 11 Windows and Mac operate the same. There are differences.

For this test, I used Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit, dual core, 3.2 GHz, 8 GB installed RAM, about 6 GB RAM available, and about 1 TB free hard drive space.

I took 17 photos (sized 3000 x 4000  - 4000 x 3000 pixels) into a 1080i30 project and applied the Instant Movie Celebration. Ten of the 17 were portrait oriented 3000 pixels width and 4000 pixels height and 7 of the 17 were landscape oriented 4000 pixels width and 3000 pixels height. The photo orientation was not changed in the resulting Instant Movie. So, under those conditions I cannot invoke a basic flaw in Premiere Elements 11 Windows Instant Movie even when using pixels dimensions beyond the limits of the project settings.

Where does that leave us....to rule in or out....

1. Pixel Dimensions which are oversized for the project can cause problems even in Premiere Elements 11 depending on computer resources. As an experiment, could you resize one or twenty and see if that makes a difference in the portrait rotation even though I have no evidence for that being a factor in my Windows model today.

2. The Instant Movie and Premiere Elements media trace back to what is viewed at the hard drive save location for the photos. What does that look like?

3. I have no evidence that the 4:3 photos in a 16:9 project are at issue; neither 1 to 17 oversized for the project photos being the issue if all that is on that Timeline is combo of 3000 x 4000 and 4000 x 3000 photos. How did you make sure evaluation of the issue?

a. Did you take 20 of those 3000 x 4000 photos into a new project and apply the same Instant Movie to them and ended up with them all rotated? Or did you just remove 1 to 20 of them from the existing Timeline, leaving the landscape oriented ones and those .mov videos as is? Did you find any difference in this matter if your Timeline was without the video included?

Just some thoughts for now as I think about this some more.

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

Add On...What computer resources did you have for your Premiere Elements 7 where you seem to be saying that you used 4000 x 3000 - 3000 x 4000 photos under similar circumstances as now and had no problems. Assumed a Windows experience.

Add On...I did not see Nealeh post until after I had posted mine.

• 5. Re: Portrait oriented photos are rotated in Instant Movies
                  Columnar Level 1

I have a 2013 iMac with 16 gigs of RAM, (8 free at the moment) and 125 free gigs in the hdd. My ancient HP desktop running Windows 7 could make slideshows in P Elements 7 and them import the slideshow into Premiere E without changing the orientation of the stills, but that's probably irrelevant.  However many stills are brought into an Instant Movie, all of them are rotated. I've checked the original file location and all photos are shown in their correct orientation there.

I took a portrait oriented  photo and reduced it in size from 1.8 gb to 197 kb and added it to the timeline via Instant Movie.  Orientation was correct.  Then I tried the same thing with the original. Came out flipped on its side. So... resolution seems to be a factor.

Screen Shot 2.jpg

• 6. Re: Portrait oriented photos are rotated in Instant Movies
                    Columnar Level 1

Also, I can correct the orientation by right clicking on the item in the timeline and then selecting " Rotate 90 right" and that fixes it, but then if I try to apply pan and zoom to the same photo, it goes back to a landscape orientation.

• 7. Re: Portrait oriented photos are rotated in Instant Movies
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Columnar

At this point, we need to grab onto the following in your Premiere Elements 11 Mac environment.

I took a portrait oriented  photo and reduced it in size from 1.8 gb to 197 kb and added it to the timeline via Instant Movie.  Orientation was correct.  Then I tried the same thing with the original. Came out flipped on its side. So... resolution seems to be a factor.

Please, pixel dimension, not file size.

That Pan and Zoom Tool feature references back to whatever the hard drive save location photo orientation is.

But here is where I just want to make sure we are in sync on....when you are doing these troubleshooting runs, are you just popping images (original and resized) into the same Premiere Elements 11 Mac project and its Timeline or are you working on some tests in a separate project with just the test photos being looked at in an Instant Movie setting?

Unless there is some fundamental Windows - Mac difference interacting here, I have my doubts about photo resolution being the major factor here. Consider, my Premiere Elements 11 Windows computer with far less resources than your computer, and I saw no problem with only 17 test photos in that one project. Your results make me suspect that the rest of your Timeline content is contributing to what you are seeing. Yet, you will have to let me know about this, doesn't Mac have a FAT32 file system for the drive vs the Windows NTFS? With your Premiere Elements 11 Mac it should be running as a 64 bit application that can take advantage of the 64 bit resources, but could a non NTFS file system drive cause the problems that you are observing trying to use so many of your 3000 x 4000 photos?

The easy explanation would be that the hard drive save location is showing the unwanted orientation, but that does not seem to be the case from what you wrote.

Some thoughts for your consideration.

I am still trying to figure out how you were so successful with so many 4000 x 3000 - 3000 x 4000 photos in this type of a project in the days of Premiere Elements 7 Windows (with the program being a 32 bit application with all the limitation of 32 bit system).

More later. Need to do some more homework on this.

ATR

• 8. Re: Portrait oriented photos are rotated in Instant Movies
                        Columnar Level 1

The reduced size photo was brought down to 600 by 800 pixels. 

The projects that I worked on in the past were oriented succesfully on the HP, but subject to frequent crashes and lockups due to the fewer resources on that machine. 

Yes, I'm using the same project to experiment on.  I used the figure of 20 photos just as an example.  The project that I'm working on now has dozens of stills in addition to video.

Yes Mac uses FAT32 instead of NTFS, but the power of the new Mac should be more than enough to handle the load, regardless of the format, I should think. 

I have both Photoshop and Premiere Elements 11. The organizer program had a strange installation.  It asked where to look for the photos to catalog, and gave several options.  I chose to use the iPhoto catalog as the source and I noticed that while it was doing that, the free space on my HDD kept shrinking.  It created a second set of photos inside an Adobe folder inside the Pictures folder.  Looking at the originals and the 2nd set in the Adobe folder, they are both oriented correctly.  The Mac has been great and the only issues I've had have been Adobe related.  After I finish this project I might just uninstall PE 11 and designate a different source on the reinstall and see if that makes any difference.  I'm tired of using up double the space for each picture anyway.

• 9. Re: Portrait oriented photos are rotated in Instant Movies
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Columnar

Thanks for the follow up.

We will be watching for further developments in this matter which seems to involve negative influence of very high resolution photos taken into the Premiere Elements 11 Mac project. Other factors may be at work also, but right now we seem to have a handle on the photo sizing side of things.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Portrait oriented photos are rotated in Instant Movies
                            nealeh Level 5

Columnar wrote:

I took a portrait oriented  photo and reduced it in size from 1.8 gb to 197 kb

In doing that the file would be properly rotated when you saved it out as a new file. Like ATR I'd be surprised if resolution is the issue. You could test this by doing whatever you did to resize the picture (but without the actual resizing step) and saving the file out with a new name. If you drag that to the timeline is the orientation now correct?

Columnar wrote:

Also, I can correct the orientation by right clicking on the item in the timeline and then selecting " Rotate 90 right" and that fixes it, but then if I try to apply pan and zoom to the same photo, it goes back to a landscape orientation.

It goes back to landscape orientation in the P&Z edit window but it should be in the right orientation in the P&Z filmstrip along the bottom and in output preview.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.