4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2013 4:41 PM by surfdesigns

Cutouts for Printing on Shirts

surfdesigns Level 1

How do I create cutouts that maintain their irregular shape, instead of placing them on a white background when I save them?  I'm trying to create images that aren't squares that can be printed on shirts.

• 1. Re: Cutouts for Printing on Shirts
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For a normal inkjet printer, you do realize the white background does not print, right?

But to answer your question, objects that have no background will get a white background, if you flatten the layers or save it in a format that does not support transparency like jpg for example.

As for spliting up an image so that it has object with no background. You have a couple of choices.

A) You can either use the selections tools and select the area you don't want (A selection can be inverted if selecting the object is easier) then hit the delete key, this will remove the background.

B) You can use the eraser tool and erase what you want.

C) You can use the selelection tools to select the object and move it to a new layer.

D) You can use the selelection tools to select the object and create a mask.

All of these options require that the background layer needs to be unlocked. (drag the padlock to the trash can) If this is not done, you will see a white background.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cutouts for Printing on Shirts
            RobertoBlake Level 2

I you're tryign to take objects off of a solid background that technique is usually refered to as "MASKING". It used to be call extraction when there was an extraction tool in Photoshop but that went away after CS3 (if I'm not mistaken).
            I recently recreated a Photoshop Masking Tutorial.  I'm using Photoshop CC, but you should be able to use all the tools in the tutorial as long as you are using atleast Photoshop CS3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBkaRoLjMIs

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Cutouts for Printing on Shirts
              surfdesigns Level 1

Thanks for the info.

• 4. Re: Cutouts for Printing on Shirts
                surfdesigns Level 1

Thanks for the info.