1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 18, 2013 7:37 PM by Jeff Schewe

Help please with ACR and wide gamut monitor.

Lucypug08

I'm trying to use CS5/Adobe Camera Raw on my wide gamut monitor.  A NEC PA271w to be exact.  My question is, how am I supposed to create a reliable workflow between ACR and Photoshop when the RAW files are untagged, and as a result get defaulted to sRGB by my monitor profile?  When I open a NEF image in ACR on my NEC display, the colors are muted and washed out.  I know this is incorrect because when I slide ACR over to my second display, which isn't wide gamut, the colors return and look normal  Any help would be much appreciated. 

P.S. I've scowered these forums and seen lots of posts referencing variations of the same issues I'm having.  Sadly, I've yet to see one reply that even comprehends the issue properly.  Most of the responses trail off into explanations of aRGB, sRGB, Prophoto, etc.  Some blame a faulty monitor profile, some blame the user... After spending several days researching this I've come to the firm conclusion there are a lot of people working on RAW files with ACR or Lightroom incorrectly, and they're leaving a lot of quality on the table because of it.    What I think is happening is this:  Most people with a high end wide gamut monitor have it calibrated and are using the monitor profile created during the calibration.  Within that monitor profile are instructions on to how to display all kinds of color profiles, including sRGB.  But everyone knows the one thing a wide gamut monitor can't  do well is display sRGB.  So when ACR opens a RAW image that isn't tagged, the Windows default is to treat it as a sRGB file.  So then it gets fed through the Monitor Profile and comes out looking like crap on the screen.  Meanwhile, everything in Photoshop proper remains looking fine because it handles files differently.

What I see a lot of people doing is just assuming ACR must be correct and they start their workflow from there.  Which in most cases is a dull, flat image because the monitor profile did its best to 'duplicate' the sRGB color space by cutting out a lot of the color spectrum, but it never looks right.  That's no way to begin your workflow.

So really, I don't even see how there could be a solution, other than getting a new monitor that isn't wide gamut.  But I'm open for any advice.  (by the way, if you dont' need to work on RAW files, and just go straight to jpeg, you're fine._   -Chance

• 1. Re: Help please with ACR and wide gamut monitor.
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Lucypug08 wrote:

So really, I don't even see how there could be a solution, other than getting a new monitor that isn't wide gamut.  But I'm open for any advice.  (by the way, if you dont' need to work on RAW files, and just go straight to jpeg, you're fine._   -Chance

Nope...sorry, you're all screwed up. First off, what display and how is it profiled? What OS? Since you have dual displays, are you absolutely sure your video card supports different profiles for multiple displays? On Mac, no problem, on Windows that depends on your vid card.

Camera Raw (and Photoshop) get's it's ability to accurately display you image directly from your display profile. If something is not showing up accurately in ACR or PS, then it's not the application's fault. ACR/Photoshop/Lightroom should all display your images accurately (and the same BTW). If it doesn't then it's something on your system that is breaking down...

BTW, you really don't seem to understand how ACR/PS and color management work. You need to do some reading on that. ACR takes the raw image, demosiaces the image and applies certain default correction. It then takes the image color (internally ProPhoto RGB with a linear gamma) and transforms the image data by way of your display profile for accurate display in the ACR preview. It's the display profile that needs to be accurate...ACR will only provide a preview based on the display profile and if that's hosed the preview is hosed.

I work with wide gamut displays (NEC) and I have zero problems dealing with color management. My images look accurate on the display and in print. So, if YOU can't get an accurate preview display on your monitors, you need to look inwards, not outwards.