13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2013 3:38 AM by Yammer

Lens Profile Correction with jpg

John A. Groves

I have Camera raw 7.2.0.46 / Canon 5D MkII / Canon EF24mm f/1.4L II USM. I use Bridge, not LR.

The Lens Profile Correction works ok with raw-files, but not with jpg. When using jpg, it gives a list of Canon lenses. None of them is EF24mm.

Anyone know why this happening? Is there anyway to use lens correction also with jpgs?

• 1. Re: Lens Profile Correction with jpg
          Level 5

For one thing you are using an obsolete version of Adobe Camera Raw.

Go to the Help menu > Updates… and update ACR to version 8.1, available both for Photoshop 13.x (CS6) and for Photoshop 14.x (CC).  That should install additional lens profiles.  (No guarantees, though, as I don't have a sample Canon file to verify your lens is included.)

For all we know, your copy of Photoshop may need updating too (also through the Help menu > Updates…).

Also make sure you are not stripping any metadata off the in-camera generated JPEG files.

• 2. Re: Lens Profile Correction with jpg
            John A. Groves Level 1

Thx for the quick answer.

The metadata is ok. (This was the first thing I checked).

I think I wont upgrade to 8. I wont be using any of the new things. I guess I could go for the last version of ACR 7. What is that and where can I get it?

• 3. Re: Lens Profile Correction with jpg
              Level 5

The last version of ACR 7.x was 7.4, I think.

I can't double-check right now because the ACR plug-in in my copy of CS6 is already updated to 8.1.

You can update to 8.1 for free as well.  If you're in CS6 (Photoshop 13.x) , it just won't give you the new features, improvements and bug fixes it has when hosted by Photoshop CC (14.x), just new lens profiles and support for new camera models.

Any future updates for Photoshop CS, which continues to be sold in the perpetual license, non-subscription mode, will bear the ACR designation 8, starting with 8.1, then 8.2 and so forth. 

The entire 8.x series, when hosted by CS6 (Photoshop 13.x), won't give you the new features it has when hosted by Photoshop CC (14.x), just new lens profiles and support for newe camera models—as explained in the preceding paragraph.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why you shouldn't update to ACR 8.1 right now.  None.

All future updates to ACR for CS6 (Photoshop 13.x) which Adobe has promised will begin with 8.something from now on.  You don't want to stay behind, especially when it will not cost you anything at all.

• 4. Re: Lens Profile Correction with jpg
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Most lens profiles are for raw only, at least in the raw converter--Photoshop lets you see them all.  This is because some cameras do some corrections themselves, so if the raw profiles were used on jpgs, at least for some cameras, you’d have a double-correction.

If your camera is not one that does the geometric correction and vignetting correction before producing the jpg then you can hack a raw profile to work with jpgs by opening the .lcp file in a text editor and changing the “this is for raw files” flag from “True” to a “False” near the top and saving it with a new name. 

With LR, at least, Adobe made it smart enough to recognize only the Adobe-supplied profiles and ignore others, unless those profiles were put into the users location for lens profiles. 

On my Windows 7 computer, the lens profiles that Adobe supplies for the ACR plug-in are under:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\

And the user-supplied profiles are lumped into one folder:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Downloaded\

So if I was doing what you're wanting to do, I'd find the .lcp file in the first folder, edit the raw flag, and save it into the location of the second folder, with a new name that doesn't include RAW at the end.

ProgramData and AppData are hidden-system folders so you’ll either need to turn on the visibility of hidden and system folders, or just type in the folder name in Explorer’s address bar as you're clicking down to the folder.  I'd probably use notepad to edit lens profile files.

• 5. Re: Lens Profile Correction with jpg
                  Yammer Level 4

station_two wrote:

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why you shouldn't update to ACR 8.1 right now.  None.

Unless you use Bridge as your worflow hub, in which case anything after ACR 7.2 might give you problems, depending on your develop settings of choice. I'm using ACR 7.2 and holding fire for 8.2, as the Bridge forum has been told that the ACR team is working on fixes for a couple of issues.

• 6. Re: Lens Profile Correction with jpg
                    Level 5

Yammer, no problem at all here with ACR 8.1 hosted by Bridge CS6 or Photoshop 13.0.5.

Might yours be a Windows-only issue?

• 7. Re: Lens Profile Correction with jpg
                      Level 5

ssprengel wrote:

Most lens profiles are for raw only, at least in the raw converter--Photoshop lets you see them all.  This is because some cameras do some corrections themselves, so if the raw profiles were used on jpgs, at least for some cameras, you’d have a double-correction…

This is very pertinent response, sspengler.  Thanks.

• 8. Re: Lens Profile Correction with jpg
                        Yammer Level 4

station_two wrote:

Yammer, no problem at all here with ACR 8.1 hosted by Bridge CS6 or Photoshop 13.0.5.

Possibly. There are two issues. One affects ACR 6+, and relates to cropping with lens corrections. The other is under investigation and affects ACR 7.3+; that one's not been pinned down by users. At least one issue is cross-platform, but it took a while to work out there were two separate issues, so I couldn't say for sure.

Like I said, the issues depend on your develop settings, so it only affects some people, depending on how they use ACR.

There's a nice 14-page read all about it here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1115020

Message was edited by: Yammer Re-written because I made a hash of the first post.

• 9. Re: Lens Profile Correction with jpg
                          Andrew_Hart Level 2

station_two wrote:

Where did you get PsCS6 version 13.0.5 from? You see, I'm also experiencing the same difficulties as Yammer outlined in his post #8, so this may be important.

My Win7x64 PsCS6 "Updates" and "Help/About Photoshop" reveal respectively that I am fully up to date and that I'm using version 13.0.1. Actually, I'm using 13.0.1.2, but the discrepancy is simply caused by a bug in Photoshop's reporting capability and, whilst annoying, it is of no critical importance.

Are you on a Mac and/or is 13.0.5 only available for Mac?

• 10. Re: Lens Profile Correction with jpg
                            Andrew_Hart Level 2

Yammer wrote:

There's a nice 14-page read all about it here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1115020

Thanks, Keith, I wasn't aware of that discussion.

• 11. Re: Lens Profile Correction with jpg
                              Level 5

Andrew_Hart wrote:

…Where did you get PsCS6 version 13.0.5 from?…

The Adobe auto updater in Help > Updates…

13.0.5 is exclusively for the Mac.  13.0.4 and 13.0.3 may also have been Mac only.   13.0.5 is definitely the current version for the Mac.

Andrew_Hart wrote:

…Are you on a Mac and/or is 13.0.5 only available for Mac?

Er… even the part of my post that you quote implies so.

• 12. Re: Lens Profile Correction with jpg
                                Andrew_Hart Level 2

station_two wrote:

13.0.5 is exclusively for the Mac.  13.0.4 and 13.0.3 may also have been Mac only.   13.0.5 is definitely the current version for the Mac.

Thanks.

Yes, I suppose your post did imply Mac. I must pay more attention.

• 13. Re: Lens Profile Correction with jpg
                                  Yammer Level 4

Andrew_Hart wrote:

Yammer wrote:

Thanks, Keith, I wasn't aware of that discussion.

There's a recap of one of the issues in this forum too.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1237723