6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2013 8:42 AM by Mahunkhal

Is there a way of placing images in the timeline without having them snap to frames??

Mahunkhal

I'm basically trying to make a short movie for a friend that involves stills that flick back and forth but i need them to sync to the music i have to go with it.  Clearly, the musics beat won't sit frame perfect so in order to get the effect i want, i assume there must be a function that would allow me to freely place images wherever i wish..... no??

Sadly, my logic kind of dictates that this won't be possible but if it's not, how the hell do people get images to change on beat with music etc??  Do they adjust the music to make it fit in with frames or what??

Any help is golden right now

• 1. Re: Is there a way of placing images in the timeline without having them snap to frames??
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can only move clips/stills etc. 1 frame.

Audio on the other hand can be moved 1/48000 of a second.

Go to the flyout menu of the timeline and set Show Audio Time Units.

• 2. Re: Is there a way of placing images in the timeline without having them snap to frames??
            Mahunkhal Level 1

Ok cool, i did that but it still only allows me to move the audio in certain increments and they aren't small enough to match up with the frames of the images?? 

What i need to do is basically have 2 images flick back and forth, one on each beat of the audio.  I know there is a rate stretch tool which i could utilise IF i could get the audio to at least start on a frame but i can't even get it to do that

It must be possible, i see synced audio to images all the time

• 3. Re: Is there a way of placing images in the timeline without having them snap to frames??
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Generally, 1.30 of a second is enough resolution to sync pictures to music. However, if you need a finer resolution that that, use a 60 frames per second sequence. At least that would double the accuracy.

I know that even 1/60th of a second doesn't seem like enough for audio sampled 48000 times per second, but it really is for almost everything you might want to do.

Remember that the visual representation of the waveform is not 100% spot on. Besides, you don't want the music and the picture perfectly synced because the eyes and the ears don't react at the same speed. People anticipate the beat, so account for that. Ever so slightly.

Play with a 60fps sequence and see if that helps. Then listen and watch, don't trust the visual timeline. Trust your eyes and ears as you watch the video.

• 4. Re: Is there a way of placing images in the timeline without having them snap to frames??
                Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Remember if you sit 10 foot away from the tv you are 1/4 frame out anyway

• 5. Re: Is there a way of placing images in the timeline without having them snap to frames??
                  jstrawn Adobe Employee

I didn't see anyone mention the Sequence> Snap toggle. With that on, it will snap to things you may not want it to, like the CTI, other clips, and markers. Of course, it will still be snapping to the fame rate for a given sequence, but Steven already made a fine suggestion for how to imporve accuracy there. He's also right that you don't need to be mathematically correct in your alignment, just intuitively.

If it helps, here's an old trick for beat-matching. Play the audio, and with your best drummer's skillz, hit M on the keyboard each time you hear (feel?) the beat you want to sync to. M is the default shortcut for 'Marker', so when you're done you should have a marker near each beat which you can tweak by hand as needed. It may take a few tries to get it right, but it's a lot of fun.

You can then turn the snap toggle 'on' (if it's not already) and drop your images in to align up with the corresponding markers. Make sure you have the still image duration set to the right length (probably err on the long side to avoid gaps) before you import your imahes or it will get confusing.

In your case, you're flipping back and forth between just two images, so after setting up the markers where you want, I might put one image in v1 and one on v2, span them out to cover the whole audio you're matching to, and then use the razor tool. Or, better yet, use, shift M & cmd/ctrl K to make edits that correspond exactly to your markers. It will razor all the way through, but you can easily just trim the other tracks back out from the head afterwards because nothing will have moved.  However you do it, the point is to razor out portions of v2 where v1 needs to show through and then delete them (don't ripple).

• 6. Re: Is there a way of placing images in the timeline without having them snap to frames??
                    Mahunkhal Level 1

Superb help from all i have to say, i shan't mark any as correct as you have all been really helpful.  I changed my framerate and also tried my drum solo out on the keyboard and i now have it bang on   

So thank you very much people.  As ever, the help i recieved was spot on