17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2013 11:53 PM by padwick19

InDesign Table Style Defintions?

padwick19

Surely it must be a pre-requisite to be able to define the minimum row height in defining a table style.  Either in the table setup or the cell/row style definitions.  I can't find where you would do this anywhere.  Is this an ommision and will I have to go through all 48 pages of the publication I'm working on and manually alter the row height for each and every table row.  Can't be right, can it?

• 1. Re: InDesign Table Style Defintions?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are several limitations on what can be included in Table Style and Cell Style features. This is one of them. You also can't define the dimensions of a table, or designate which cells are header or footer cells (even though you can define their attributes).

Michael Murphy's book on InDesign Styles and his video on Lynda.com go great detail on their capabilities and limitations. Here's a link to his book:

Adobe InDesign CS4 Styles: How to Create Better, Faster Text and Layouts

• 2. Re: InDesign Table Style Defintions?
            peter minneapolis Level 4

padwick19 wrote:

Surely it must be a pre-requisite to be able to define the minimum row height in defining a table style.  Either in the table setup or the cell/row style definitions.  I can't find where you would do this anywhere.  Is this an ommision and will I have to go through all 48 pages of the publication I'm working on and manually alter the row height for each and every table row.  Can't be right, can it?

Unless I'm missing something, you're almost correct. You can apply the minium row height property to a selection of rows, or a selection of cells in a column, with Table > Cell Options > Rows or Columns. So, yes, there's a bit of a batch operation possible.

Minimum row height can't be specified in a table, cell, or row style. It's possibly a safety measure to avoid disccombobulating existing tables that aren't observable on the current spread, if a row or cell style is changed.

As always, to add the feature to a future release of InDesign, should you accept this mission, is to file a formal request here: Wishform.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 3. Re: InDesign Table Style Defintions?
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@padwick19  &  Peter Gold:
              Good luck with that, since the table feature did not change in years…

Uwe

• 4. Re: InDesign Table Style Defintions?

Laubender wrote:

@padwick19  &  Peter Gold:
                Good luck with that, since the table feature did not change in years…

Uwe

Look on the bright side: with the ability to introduce new features, enhancements, and bug fixes more frequently than in 18, 12, or six month intervals, it's possible that a time will come when there's not much work in the hopper, so the long-standing non-critical feature requests migiht get some attention from the development team.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 5. Re: InDesign Table Style Defintions?
                  padwick19 Level 1

Thanks for your response Peter, it all but confirmed what I feared.  I’ll be spending the hottest weekend (35C) of the year thus far going through circa 500 tables manually changing the row height.  Given you can effect table rows by selection I suppose I could script something that would automate it somewhat.  However, past experience has taught me that it may be better to bite the bullet and just start plodding.  Oh how I hate tables.

By the way I did like the use of the word "disccombobulating", haven't heard it in years and it did raise a smile .

I think I'll avoid the features wishlist as it just sets you up for disappointment, I'll just stick with what they throw my way and count myself lucky I suppose.

Once again thanks very much and if you are sitting there over the weekend spare a thought for the sad old sucker sitting here in Essex (UK) trauling through endless tables, even if it is just to laugh and make your weekend better.

Regards,

Pat Doyle

• 6. Re: InDesign Table Style Defintions?
                    padwick19 Level 1

Yeah! tell about it mate lol

• 7. Re: InDesign Table Style Defintions?
                      padwick19 Level 1

Thanks my friend,

I do have a copy of that book.  I just thought CC might have moved things forward and wanted to confirm it hadn't before I spent a fruitless two days doing it manually, but there you go.

I know tables aren't the most exciting thing in the world, and I can't blame the developers finding other far more interesting and engaging things to work on.  I don't have the luxury of a choice, catalogues I'm afraid come with tables it just seems to be manditory for product data.

Regards,

Pat Doyle

• 8. Re: InDesign Table Style Defintions?

@padwick19 – how exactly is your requirement for the minimum row height of every row in every table of your document?

Maybe I'm able to help you with a script snippet…

Uwe

• 9. Re: InDesign Table Style Defintions?

padwick19 wrote:

Thanks for your response Peter, it all but confirmed what I feared.  I’ll be spending the hottest weekend (35C) of the year thus far going through circa 500 tables manually changing the row height.  Given you can effect table rows by selection I suppose I could script something that would automate it somewhat.  However, past experience has taught me that it may be better to bite the bullet and just start plodding.  Oh how I hate tables.

By the way I did like the use of the word "disccombobulating", haven't heard it in years and it did raise a smile .

I think I'll avoid the features wishlist as it just sets you up for disappointment, I'll just stick with what they throw my way and count myself lucky I suppose.

Once again thanks very much and if you are sitting there over the weekend spare a thought for the sad old sucker sitting here in Essex (UK) trauling through endless tables, even if it is just to laugh and make your weekend better.

Regards,

Pat Doyle

Hi, Pat:

I'm flabbergasted by your ease at giving up any hope of your wishlist vote ever being effective. Whatever happened to Stiff Upper Lip, eh, what? Heck, last week or so, a Brit won a US golf title after eons of dashed hopes, and soon - any moment - all around the world, oceans of ink, forests of trees, and universes of electrons will all be spilt when, again, after ages of Commonwealth-wide yearning, a new Royal offspring is issued! What's your problem?! File the form and get it off your to-do list<G>! You never know when a wish may come true.

(I'm in Minnesota, where for being one of the coldest US contiguous states, currently it's one of the hottest among the many states whose populations are sweating away precious bodily fluids in a prolonged heat wave. It may be rumor,but I've heard that in some ex-pats here, gather in pubs and sing "Heat Rules the Waves."

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 10. Re: InDesign Table Style Defintions?
                            padwick19 Level 1

Hi Laubender,

It's a kind offer but I'll just go the manual route for now.  I don't have the time to start playing with scripts.  I've found in the past that you can very easily get side tracked with scripts.  I was just trying to confirm there wasn't an update in CC that I could have used and I was unaware of.

I only have to reduce from 4mm to a minimum height of 3mm, so it's not major. Just a bit boring.

I've already gone through 80 tables so almost a fifth the way through now.

Thanks for the offer all the same.  Have a nice weekend.

Regards,

Pat Doyle

• 11. Re: InDesign Table Style Defintions?

@Pat – no problem with that.
                              You could use the following snippet, if:

1. Every row in every table (no exceptions!) should be set to minimum height of 3 mm.

2. Your document is set up with unit Millimeter
                              3. The Auto Grow feature of every row in every table (again, no exception!) should be set to true

The snippet will act on the active document.

var d=app.documents[0];
                              var s=d.stories.everyItem();
                              var t=s.tables.everyItem();

t.rows.everyItem().autoGrow = true;
                              t.rows.everyItem().minimumHeight = 3;

Give it a try (and enjoy the weekend!).

You have some backups so you could revert to the old one…

Uwe

• 12. Re: InDesign Table Style Defintions?

Oh, one thing: nested tables are not supported (tables included in cells of other tables).

Uwe

• 13. Re: InDesign Table Style Defintions?
                                  padwick19 Level 1

Hi Peter,

My stiff upper lip is above my loose flabbing chin mate.  I have lots of things I could put on wish lists my friend, but I don't live under the illusion that anybody is either listening to me or even cares what I may think is a good idea.

After many years in design, i have learned one thing.  You can use the best software, have the greatest of ideas and still the client will doggedly pursue a policy of destroying the concept at all cost. So I can't really complain about any feature Adobe in their wisdom decide to include or omit from their software.  Safe in the knowlege that even if they do or did include something remarkable, my clients would neither recognise its benfit or potential.

I don't know about Minnesota, but Essex certainly isn't built to handle 35°C.  I'm starting to be converted to global warming being a fact and not just a well thought through plan to exctract more moneyy from us all in taxes.

Anyway, you have a nice weekend my friend, try to find a nice shady tree and sit under it.

Regards,

Pat Doyle

• 14. Re: InDesign Table Style Defintions?
                                    padwick19 Level 1

Hi Uwe,

That's very kind of you, I'll give it a try on a re-saved test document.

I'll let you know how it goes.  I suppose I really should get more involved with scripts, if for no other reason that it helps with the invisible features.

Anyway you have a great weekend!

Regards,

Pat Doyle

• 15. Re: InDesign Table Style Defintions?

I suppose I really should get more involved with scripts…

Definitily this will pay off if you are working with tables all the time. :-)

Have a nice weekend!

I'll be off with a couple of friends having a BBQ this evening…
                                      ( around 30° C at this moment )

Uwe

• 16. Re: InDesign Table Style Defintions?
                                        padwick19 Level 1

Uwe,

Have great BBQ and enjoy the weekend.

Thanks once again,

Pat

• 17. Re: InDesign Table Style Defintions?
                                          padwick19 Level 1

Hi Uwe,

Tried the script snippet, worked like a dream.  I've put it my Adobe Script folder for reuse if that's okay.  Just in case they decide to change it back.  I take your point on how scripting would be indispenable if working with tables and I'll have to get to grips with developing them for myself to plug the shortcomings in InDesign's tables.

I can now see scripting would be extremely useful as I've jumped onboard with The Foundry/Luxology Modo 701 and it's obvious that this too is going to be full of invisible features as well.  I suppose that's why they issue you with a scripting engine as does Adobe of course - obvious really!

It's funny, I extracted myself from web design as I wasn't finding it very satisfying trying to be creative whilst bogged down in lines and lines of code that endlessly changed due to my client's inability to make any decisions, things just dragged on endlessly. 

I'm starting to see a theme appearing here, as in lines of code being the only future, so I better just get used to it and brush up on scripting.  Either that or go brush up on my shelf stacking skills, which are extremely under developed.

Thanks once again for your kind help with my little problem.

Kind regards,

Pat