6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2013 2:11 PM by rob day

InDesign changing color of an imported PDF file

chuck300x11 Level 1

I am importing a customers pdf into InDesign 6. When I do the import the color is changing from the customers original PDF colors. The original color in the pdf is 0/95/100/29 and when imported to InDesign 6 it becomes 21/98/100/12. Is there a setting I need in InDesign 6 to keep the original PDF colors intact?

• 1. Re: InDesign changing color of an imported PDF file
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, I assume you mean "InDesign CS6," not InDesign 6?

Second, did you choose File > Place to place the PDF file?

Third, did you turn on Overprint Preview (View > Overprint Preview) to view the placed PDF file?

Fourth, how are you measuring the PDF color in both the PDF and in InDesign?

Are you using Adobe Bridge to synchronize the colors for the Creative Suite (if you're not, that might account for the difference)?

• 2. Re: InDesign changing color of an imported PDF file
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            The original color in the pdf is 0/95/100/29 and when imported to InDesign 6 it becomes 21/98/100/12.

The only way you would get number conversions with process CMYK colors (not spot) is if the PDF's profile(s) conflict with your InDesign document's assigned CMYK profile (Edit>Assign profiles, not Color Settings>Working CMYK). 

To prevent a value change, the PDF's profile(s) have to match your doc profile, or your Color Settings color management CMYK policy setting has to be set to either Off or Preserve Numbers (ignore linked profiles) when the document is created.

• 3. Re: InDesign changing color of an imported PDF file
              chuck300x11 Level 1

Yes I mean InDesign CS6

Yes I placed the file using the File>Place command

No I did not turn on the Overprint Preview

I mesaured the value with the eyedropper tool in InDesign and with the output preview command in Acrobat

According to Adobe Bridge, all my color are synchronized

I printed output of each file and they do look slightly different.

When I made a new pdf file out of the InDesign file, the colors matched the original PDF file the customer provided.

• 4. Re: InDesign changing color of an imported PDF file
                chuck300x11 Level 1

It seemed no matter how many ways I told InDesign to not make color changes to this file I imported, It still wanted to change the color.

• 5. Re: InDesign changing color of an imported PDF file

It seemed no matter how many ways I told InDesign to not make color changes to this file I imported, It still wanted to change the color.

Open Color Settings and set your CMYK Color Management policy to Preserve Numbers (Ignore linked Profiles) and then make a New document and place the PDF and you should see the PDF's process CMYK numbers unchanged.

You have to set the policy before you make the new document.

To change policies for existing documents, make sure the problem document is closed, open Color Settings and choose preserve numbers and check Ask When Opening like this:

Screen Shot 2013-07-19 at 5.05.07 PM.png

Then open the doc and set the warning dialog Placed Content setting to this:

ScreenCap001.png

• 6. Re: InDesign changing color of an imported PDF file

Is the color spot or process?