13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2015 10:29 PM by MarkWeiss RSS

CS6 and XAVC

WillemF55

I see from other posts that XAVC codec is supported by Premiere Pro CC. Does this mean that my version of CS6, bought last month, will not see XAVC and never will?

• 1. Re: CS6 and XAVC
          SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

Premiere Pro CS6 will not natively support XAVC, this was added in CC. I believe some third party plugins like Rovi Total Code may offer this for CS6.

• 2. Re: CS6 and XAVC
            WillemF55 Community Member

I am on a MAC system and Rovicode works only on the PC version. The real question I guess is, will I have to abandon CS6 and get PP CC to be able to edit my own camera's footage?

• 3. Re: CS6 and XAVC
              JSS1138 Community Member

It would appear so.

• 4. Re: CS6 and XAVC
                WillemF55 Community Member

Hell guys, that is not good enough. I buy the latest version expecting at least an update or two. Your product is obsolete out of the box! Feeling a bit bitter and might just abandon your product for Vegas.

• 5. Re: CS6 and XAVC
                  cc_merchant Community Member

You can no longer buy a perpetual license, but you can rent a license (much more expensive) that supports XAVC. Good choice to look at alternatives like Vegas, Edius or Avid. Less costly on the long run and much less buggy, with the exception of Vegas.

• 6. Re: CS6 and XAVC
                    Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Willem,

WillemF55 wrote:

Hell guys, that is not good enough....
                    Your product is obsolete out of the box!

The XAVC codec was released on Oct. 30, 2012 by Sony. Premiere Pro CS6 came out in May of 2012, so it's highly unlikely a codec released after the release of Premiere Pro CS6 would be functional in that application.

Thanks for understanding.

Kevin

• 7. Re: CS6 and XAVC
                      Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

cc_merchant wrote:

Good choice to look at alternatives like Vegas, Edius or Avid...

Hi cc_merchant,

Willem is on a Mac, so alternatives like Vegas or Edius are unavailable to him unless he purchased a PC. Avid might work for him, but users are limited to HD frame sizes, as 4K in this format is not presently supported in Media Composer.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 8. Re: CS6 and XAVC
                        Jonathan Cracroft Photo Community Member

Kevin, are there any plans to release an update to CS6 for XAVC file support? Or, is Adobe abandoning future updates to previous Premiere Pro versions all together?

• 9. Re: CS6 and XAVC
                          max0517 Community Member

Don't know when Adobe would support this xavc codec. Hope it won't be too long. So I don't have to use third-party app to help me transcode them before loading into premiere .

• 10. Re: CS6 and XAVC
                            MarkWeiss Community Member

Back in 2007, I'd just upgraded to CS3. The following year, XDCam hit the market. There was no support for XDCam in CS3. Then five months later, Adobe sent out an update, and lo and behold, CS3 supports XDCam.

Hopefully Adobe will add XAVC to CS6. There is NO WAY I would move to a subscription system to get this feature. I don't even think CC would run on our workstations because they aren't connected to the internet. We use portable hard drives to move files back and forth between workstations--no network. No viruses.

• 11. Re: CS6 and XAVC
                              Vetias Community Member

Premiere Pro CS6 will not natively support XAVC, but Adobe Premiere Pro CC, the latest version of Adobe Premiere Pro, has added support for this new camera format. So you can upgrade your Premiere from CS6 to CC.

To import XAVC to Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 and its previous versions, you can download Rovi Totalcode, a Plug-in for Adobe Premiere Pro CS5/CS5.5/CS6 which has perfect support for Sony’s 4K XAVC format. However, this third-party plug-in will cost you a lot of money. In addition, it only works on Windows but not Mac.

If you're stick with Premiere Pro CS6 on Mac, try to convert the XAVC to MPEG-2 codec, the most compatible format for using in Premiere Pro.

I've had the pleasure of using this mac video converter these past several months. The output videos seamlessly fit in my Premiere Pro CS6. You should give a try.

• 12. Re: CS6 and XAVC
                                julian 86

Hi all,

I have had the same problem as Willem. As someone also mentioned about CS3 and added XD-cam support later I think it is bad judgement from Adobe to decide to abbandon support for PP CS6 so soon. When I bought CS6 it was less then a year when CC suddenly made its appereance. As a customer I would have expected to have at least some more updates, but we just get the cold shoulder basicly giving us the finger for not having a CC subscription.

Luckely the alternatives are making a comeback now, (avid, da vinci, hell even fxpx) I was happy with Adobe untill I noticed how Adobe gives the cold shoulder to customers who have no subscription. Now I am even more confused with the CC thing. When I was editing somewhere else there was a Adobe CC2014 application. What the hell? I thought the the idea of CC was that it would be a version that kept being the same but would evolve with updates. Now you have CS, CC and CC2014. Whats next? CC2015? I need a bigger SSD...

Hi Willem,

WillemF55 wrote:

Hell guys, that is not good enough....
                                Your product is obsolete out of the box!

The XAVC codec was released on Oct. 30, 2012 by Sony. Premiere Pro CS6 came out in May of 2012, so it's highly unlikely a codec released after the release of Premiere Pro CS6 would be functional in that application.

Thanks for understanding.

Kevin

• 13. Re: CS6 and XAVC
                                  MarkWeiss Community Member

There is NO WAY I will move to a rental software that resides 'in the cloud'.

I'll look into the Rovi solution.. if it's under $100.