2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2013 4:29 PM by craigdubuc

Getting page breaks and formatting to retain when exporting for EPUB

craigdubuc

I have been working on making an Ebook of poetry using the trial version of ID and I can't get the page and content seperation to retain. The formatting of the poems will not retain either. No stanzas, seperation by titles to a new page, etc. It comes out just one long string of lines. How do I get page seperation and formatting to stick?

• 1. Re: Getting page breaks and formatting to retain when exporting for EPUB
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Creating an EPUB file is a lot different than creating a print or PDF file. It's highly recommended that you do some study on how to prepare files for EPUB. Two good sources are:

(1) EPUBs by Elizabeth Castro:

http://www.elizabethcastro.com/epub/

(2) Videos by Anne-Marie Concepcion on Lynda.com for InDesign CS5 and CS6

www.lynda.com

Short answers to your questions:

(1) To creating the spacing you want you need to religiously paragraph styling that sets space before and space after. You CANNOT rely on white space or special characters (e.g., break characters) which work in a print document.

(2) To break a page (which means create a new XHTML file) can be done in these ways: (a) specifying which paragraph style(s) will force a break. This is done in Paragraph Styles menu > Edit All Export Tags > Split EPUB, and also setting Split Document in EPUB Export Options > Advanced. (b) Putting files into a book file. (Each chapter will start a new XHTML file.) (c) Setting Break Before or Break After in Object > Object Export Options when you have an image or rasterized object.

• 2. Re: Getting page breaks and formatting to retain when exporting for EPUB
            craigdubuc Level 1

Thanks Steve, EPUB or print, it seems rather incomplete for a design program not to recognize a page break. I'm trying to think of how to space before and after every different length of poem and space between each line and stanza. That hardly seems feasible when the spacing is recognized during placement and import. I did try several options in the export dialogues.