3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2013 10:22 AM by Sharkz666

Setting InDesign CC as default program to open indd files

CarthagoDelendaEst Level 1

I have both CS6 and CC for inDesign.  I need to keep CS6 for a plug-in which is not available yet for CC.  indd files are opening with CS6 as default, even if CC is open.  I have tried the Open with feature, and browse to the CC program, but when I click on it, my computer doesn't recognize it as a possibility for opening CC.  I have uninstalled CS6 and CC became available as the default, but as soon as I put CS6 back on, no dice.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Setting InDesign CC as default program to open indd files
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

For Windows: Start>Control Panel>Programs>Default Programs>Associate a file type or protocol with specific program

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Setting InDesign CC as default program to open indd files
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Windows tends to use the last installed version as the default. It's theoretically possible to hack the registry to change it, but I've never had any luck using the file association method Salah describes.

You could try reinstalling CC again so it becomes the last one installed, or you can buy the Soxy plugin from Rorohiko.com, and all your ID files will oepn in the version they were saved in when you double-click.

• 3. Re: Setting InDesign CC as default program to open indd files
              Sharkz666

Following steps has worked for me (on Windows 7)

Here is my method...

1. Find out your InDesign CS6 executable program file (usually: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS6\InDesign.exe")

2. Rename the file (ex.: "InDesign.exe.old"). This version of InDesign will be temporary disable to run.

3. Right click on any .indd file and select "Open with..." in the menu.

4. Now you can see that  the default program InDesign CS6 is no more available in the top applications list.

5. Make sure that the "Always use..." option is checked and browse to InDesign CC executable program file (usually: "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC (64 bit)\InDesign.exe")

Now all your .indd files will open by default with InDesign CC.

6. Rename your InDesign CS6 executable program (previously named: "InDesign.exe.old") to "InDesign.exe" to make it back enable to run.

After this last step, InDesign CC still remain the default program to run .indd files but both versions of InDesign (CS6 and CC) would be now available under the "Open with..." menu. Than you will be able to select what version of InDesign you wish to use to open your .indd file and/or select your prefered version to be the default version.