11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2013 11:59 AM by MW Design

Paragraph rule help

janepell

Hello,

I'm a very regular user of paragraph rules but one thing continues to vex me.

I have a style in a publication that has a shorter "rule below" than the actual width of the text window.

So I apply a right indent. No problem.

However, I want to use the same style for other blocks of text that are a different

width. But because of the way right indent works, my underline rule can't stay fixed width since it varies

depending on the text window width.

Is there a way to make this short underline rule a fixed-width no matter what width the text window is?

The only way I see it working is to have 3 or 4 styles (when the column is x width, xx width or xxx width).

I'd like to avoid that.

Below is an example of a pull quote. But I might also have a pull quote double this width. Then the rule becomes

longer.

Thanks,

Jane

Screen shot 2013-07-19 at 12.42.14 PM.png

• 1. Re: Paragraph rule help
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm afraid ID just doesn't have that much sophistication with the rules. Sorry.

• 2. Re: Paragraph rule help
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You could file a feature request, though, to allow percentage units, perhaps. Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 3. Re: Paragraph rule help
              janepell Level 1

Good idea Peter.

I'm not sure how many people would need it but it also seems like something that should be easy to do.

Thanks for chiming in.

Jane

• 4. Re: Paragraph rule help
                MW Design Level 4

Jane, this is one way I would try to do what you would like (I think).

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/InDesignForum/PullQuoteRules.indd

Link will be live until I hear from you.

As is, there is a rule above and below. They are seperate paragraphs, rule is set to text length, text is paper color. While not an automatic thing, once the paragraph style is in place, you can do a find / change for the empty paragraph and replace with a text string of your choice. Could be scripted I suppose.

For the find/change, I did the below. The string length is comprised of the letter M, a paragraph return at the end of the string.

capture-000439.png

Mike

(this is where I would normally mention something about how back in the day, Ventura...)

• 5. Re: Paragraph rule help
                  peter minneapolis Level 4

janepell wrote:

Hello,

I'm a very regular user of paragraph rules but one thing continues to vex me.

I have a style in a publication that has a shorter "rule below" than the actual width of the text window.

So I apply a right indent. No problem.

However, I want to use the same style for other blocks of text that are a different

width. But because of the way right indent works, my underline rule can't stay fixed width since it varies

depending on the text window width.

Is there a way to make this short underline rule a fixed-width no matter what width the text window is?

The only way I see it working is to have 3 or 4 styles (when the column is x width, xx width or xxx width).

I'd like to avoid that.

Below is an example of a pull quote. But I might also have a pull quote double this width. Then the rule becomes

longer.

Thanks,

Jane

Screen shot 2013-07-19 at 12.42.14 PM.png

Hi, Jane:

Here are two approaches that might work for you:

fake rules below.jpg

* The magenta paragraph uses a nested character style that has the underline property set to a distance below the text it's applied to. The nested style property is set to begin after an End Nested Style Here marker that you insert at the beginning of the last line of the paragraph, and ends at the End Nested Style Here marker that you set at the location where you want the fake rule below to end. The underline that creates the fake rule below takes the color of the paragraph text, because it's paragraph text.

* The cyan paragraph uses a line object that's inserted in the last line of the paragraph, as an inline object positioned below the line. The fake rule below doesn't take the paragraph text color, because it's not paragraph text.

The paragraph style that's used for the fake rules has a space below paragraph property that forces the following paragraph to start below the fake rule.

You'll need to set the width of the fake rule below, regardless of which method you use. For the nested style method, insert End Nested Style Here markers from Type > Insert Special Character > Other. For the inline anchored object method, use the Selection Tool to drag the line to the width you want. You can create an object style for the line's stroke thickness and color, but not for the width.

You need only one paragraph style for each method. For the nested style method, you'll need to define the character style that you use for the nested style, and define the space below to suit the fake underline. For the anchored object method, you need to define the space below. If you find you need both methods, if the space below is the same for both, you only need to define the nested style paragraph style, because the nested fake character style will not be used unless you manually insert End Nested Style markers.

It will take some experimentation to find the right settings for the stroke weights of the underline and anchored line object, and for their offset distances. For inline line object widths you use often, you can create them and store them in a library or as snippets, or in a separate file, and copy or insert them as needed.

If you're not familiar with the techniques and features used her, Google searches will be helpful. Search for terms like "InDesign nested styles," "InDesign insert special characters," "InDesign object styles," and "InDesign library snippets," without quotes for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 6. Re: Paragraph rule help
                    janepell Level 1

Hi MW Design,

I wasn't able to get to the link in time. But thank you for helping. I might have a couple good options now.

Jane

• 7. Re: Paragraph rule help
                      janepell Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks, I like the idea of an inserted object. I hadn't thought of that.

That might be the best option.

Jane

• 8. Re: Paragraph rule help
                        MW Design Level 4

After not hearing back I killed the link. I'll reinstate it for a couple days in a little while...as soon as I get back to a computer.

• 9. Re: Paragraph rule help
                          MW Design Level 4

Link is live again.

• 10. Re: Paragraph rule help
                            janepell Level 1

Thak you MW.

I'm impressed. It's a little confusing for me though. How did you made the rule short?

I'm guessing it's the number of characters you put into the find/change field?

I'm going to have to pick apart your style and see if I can recreate it myself.

Thanks,

Jane

• 11. Re: Paragraph rule help
                              MW Design Level 4

The rule is set to text width, the paragraph is centered. Adding more characters long ten the line, fewer makes it shorter.

If you use this method, you can simple happy the style to the leading and or following paragraph that contains the quote. Make one paragraph that contains the length of rule and do the find/replace to add the characters to all the remaining paragraphs. Gotta be a little careful else you can add the characters to existing ones and thus make it too long.

If there are only a few quotes, you can simply copy and paste the characters.

Mike