17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2013 3:22 PM by briannaw@pfcn.org

Runtime error affecting only Encore CS5

pwrshift Level 1

My CS5 Creative Suite 5 Production Studio has run fine up to yesterday, on my 64 bit PC with Windows 7 Professional.

Only Encore CS5 is affected...and only when I try to start a new Encore project.  The crash does not happen if I open an existing Encore project...which opens and works as usual. 

New Encore projects won't open and get the following alert, crashing Encore:  'This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.  Please contact the application support team for more information.

I can't finish my projects and need fast help.

• 1. Re: Runtime error affecting only Encore CS5
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That MAY be due to a recent Windows update, so search for help at Microsoft

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

• 2. Re: Runtime error affecting only Encore CS5
            pwrshift Level 1

Thanks for your suggestion.  I resored the computer to July 17, 2013 as I saw it had a Windows Critical Update on July 19, but unfortunately that didn't correct the problem I'm having with Encore not being able to open a 'new' project.

• 3. Re: Runtime error affecting only Encore CS5
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Next is Reset Corrupted Preferences = Press/HOLD Ctrl+Alt+Shift while starting program

• 4. Re: Runtime error affecting only Encore CS5
                pwrshift Level 1

John ... I just tried it and Encore opened.  Everything looks normal again, but haven't time to try it out.  Thanks so much.

Can you give me an idea why that would work in this case?  Is it useful with other Adobe products too...even for just occasional clean ups?  ie.  I'm having problems printing PDF files all of a sudden on all my printers.

• 5. Re: Runtime error affecting only Encore CS5
                  pwrshift Level 1

Spoke too soon.  Tried to open a new Encore CS5 project this morning.  Same Runtime Error. 

Strangely...I can open older Encore projects fine, rename them, delete the files and start a new project that way, at least so far.

Was your fix 'Press/HOLD Ctrl+Alt+Shift while starting program' something I would have to do every time I started a new project...or is there still another fix that might help me out here?

• 6. Re: Runtime error affecting only Encore CS5
                    Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't recall this error or problem.

Try resetting the preferences again. Create a project; add a menu. Save. Close. Does that project open?

How are you opening an existing project? Are you selecting a .ncor file and opening that? Do you open Encore, then select the existing project from the drop down list? Or does Encore not open that far?

How are you opening Encore without opening a project? From a shortcut on the desktop? From Start -> Programs?

• 7. Re: Runtime error affecting only Encore CS5
                      pwrshift Level 1

Hi Stan ... I can't open any new project or save it.  With the 'Basic & Advanced window open I enter the name and location of the new project.  Click OK and then it opens momentarily and a RunTime Error window opens and closes Encore.  It says Windows is looking for a solution, but none is found.  As a result I can't change preferences.

Up until I held the CTRL SHIFT ALT key upon opening, Encore would let me open past projects..just not new ones.  Now I can't open any of them...new or past.

But I can open the test project that I open with holding the 3 keys down while opening.

On older projects I'm now getting a new alert "Could not create Blu-ray ntsc sd mped-2.epr.  The path is not valid.'  Tried 5 past projects and none opened.

Very frustrating.  All my other Adobe programs open...PhotoShop, Premiere, etc.  Just Encore is affected.

On another note...over the last few months I get 4 DLL alerts that it can't find them...I just close them and everything runs well...as did Encore up to a few days ago.  May not be related.

Thanks for your help.

• 8. Re: Runtime error affecting only Encore CS5

I see an uninstall/reinstall in your future.... I have no idea, of course, but this is just not normal behavior.

Make sure you have no disks in your drive. (Blank disks used to create a problem; don't know now.)

Open Encore using the reset preferences. In the New Project window, pick exit.

Open Encore from the Start menu, but be sure and right click and pick "run as administrator."

Create  a new DVD project.

Add a menu. Save. Exit.

Open Encore from the Start menu, but be sure and right click and pick "run as administrator." Open that project.

Does this work?

• 9. Re: Runtime error affecting only Encore CS5
                          pwrshift Level 1

I can open the newly created project done with your suggestions above, but still can't open any past projects without the 'Runtime Error' closing the program again.  I'm at a loss as to what to do now.  Opening Encore in the past was always so simple and I'd like to return to that somehow.  Microsoft may have been the problem too as I found I had it set to auto updates ... but have since changed that to 'advise me before downloading so I can decide'.

If I have to uninstall/reinstall Encore CS5 ... do I have to do it for ALL the programs in the Creative Suite 5 Production Premium package, or can I just do Encore...mainly because all the other programs are running fine. 

Finally....if that still doesn't work, is there a non-Adobe product that does the same as Encore CS5?

Thanks for your help.

• 10. Re: Runtime error affecting only Encore CS5

If I have to uninstall/reinstall Encore CS5 ... do I have to do it for ALL the programs in the Creative Suite 5 Production Premium package, or can I just do Encore...mainly because all the other programs are running fine.

You may have an option for a repair install. I am not sure which versions, if not all, had that.

I believe you can uninstall Encore only. Problem is, I don't think you can install it without installing Premiere.

Sorry; just not sure what I would do in your shoes.

• 11. Re: Runtime error affecting only Encore CS5
                              Marklejim-20HVkp

This isn't so much and answer as another question.

I am geting this Runtime error too on Encore CS5.1.

Problem event "Appcrash"

I reinstalled Encore (only)

I reinstalled Qucktime

I tried running as administrator

I tried compatibility fixed (XP SP2)

None of this worked.

Nor did Cntl/Alt/Shft.

Just won't open Encore.

Anybody any ideas? Did you manage to solve it?

Jim

• 12. Re: Runtime error affecting only Encore CS5
                                pwrshift Level 1

Nothing worked but the ctrl-alt-shift on opening a new file...but I did find that I could open older Encore files, rename them, delete the stuff and start new.  Not the way it is supposed to work but, so far it's OK.  I'm just about to start a new project...will let you know if that worked.

I can't believe we are the only ones to have this problem.

• 13. Re: Runtime error affecting only Encore CS5
                                  pwrshift Level 1

Started a new project using the ctrl-alt-shift on opening and Encore seemed to perform for me as usual in authoring the video.  However, after it was done I tried to preview it with Encore and got a 'transcoding' error ... then tried to burn the DVD and got 'Error setting up transcoder'. 

So this fix didn't work for me.

Strange that all my other Adobe programs in the Production Suite work fine...Premiere CS5, Photoshop, etc.  Just Encore has been affected.

I might try to reinstall the Encore portion but not quite sure how to proceed with it.  Any thoughts?

• 14. Re: Runtime error affecting only Encore CS5
                                    briannaw@pfcn.org

pwrshift, did you ever get it to work for you?  I am having the exact same issue and Adobe no longer supports Encore so I couldn't get help via chat.  Ugh.

• 15. Re: Runtime error affecting only Encore CS5
                                      briannaw@pfcn.org Level 1

I uninstalled and reinstalled Encore, and that worked.  Hopefully it will stay fixed!

• 16. Re: Runtime error affecting only Encore CS5
                                        pwrshift Level 1

Just got back from a vacation and saw your post.  I never got Encore to work for me, and was considering uninstalling and reinstalling...but was worried that I'd have to uninstall the whole set (Premiere, Photoshop, Encore, etc.) in order to do this.

How do you just uninstall Encore and not the others?  I'll give it a try, but because all the other programs are working fine it must be Encore picked up a bug.

• 17. Re: Runtime error affecting only Encore CS5
                                          briannaw@pfcn.org Level 1

Contol Panel, Programs and Features.  Double Click Adobe Creative Suite, and the Adobe install/uninstall window comes up.  You can choose which programs to uninstall from there.  I'm sure I only chose Encore, but it uninstalled both Encore and Photoshop anyway.  I just reinstalled them both and everything is working fine.  Good luck!