13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2013 9:40 PM by the_wine_snob RSS

Remove a video flaw, using Premiere Elements 9

tiltmonster369 Community Member

I have Premiere Elements 9. Can I remove a small spot or flaw in the video? If so, where can I learn?

• 1. Re: Remove a video flaw, using Premiere Elements 9
          JSS1138 Community Member

[Moved to Premiere Elements forum.]

• 2. Re: Remove a video flaw, using Premiere Elements 9
            A.T. Romano Community Member

tilmonster369

Please explain the nature of this small spot that you want to remove from you video? Do you have a screenshot that you could post demo further the extent of the flaw?

Does it occur through the video or in only one area?

It removal can be easily or complex depending on your specific situation.

The variety of techniques that might be applicable for Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 include:

Track Matte

Garbage Matte

Effects Mask

Motion Tracking

Actual Cutting Out Of Frames

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Remove a video flaw, using Premiere Elements 9

Capture2.PNGUnder the far right turtle is a piece of debre(small black dot), I want to remove. I have a feeling this is a more complicated job. It appears in various pans across the tank in the same general loaction, but moves quite a bit, during the 7 min video, and gets kicked around a bit making foot contact, even ending up against the front edges, and into the small dip under foot(that forms the base feet of tank). I have never attempted removing a spot from video; but have been threatening to learn how for some years. I have done some piecing together, and segmenting video, but very limited success with layers for images. Not a real heavy user, but trying to branch out here, see if it is posssible. See what is possible. I am just a casual user. If I can spend a couple hours and figure it out, or at least get any idea what is possible; I would be happy. Thank You! 

• 4. Re: Remove a video flaw, using Premiere Elements 9

I did not see any icon or post location, for Premier Elements forum, in the forums menu. Only delineation I saw, was for Premiere Elements Pro(Icon). Did I post in the wrong place, or does the software find the place? I am pretty sure I was open in Premier Pro, to ask this question. I am not a real heavy user, so may have missed something. 

• 5. Re: Remove a video flaw, using Premiere Elements 9
                  John T Smith CommunityMVP

>Premiere Elements Pro

No such thing... there is Premiere Pro and there is Premiere Elements

This is the Premiere Elements forum

• 6. Re: Remove a video flaw, using Premiere Elements 9

tiltmonster369

I think the motion tracking feature with blur used as the effect might do the job, but I want to work through this to make sure I am not overlooking a glitch in the plan. I am trying to put together a model from which to work. As far as I have found, there is no size fits all for this type of thing. As the matter gets complicated, a combination of techniques may be needed to get the task done.

In the long run, you may succeed quicker with first hand work on the actual footage.

See page 211 of the Premiere Elements 9 Help PDF

http://help.adobe.com/archive/en_US/premiereelements/9/premiereelements_9_help.pdf

If you do try the Motion Tracking, I would suggest the manual instead of the AutoAnalyzer route through it.

As for posting, just zero in on

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements

and you should be in contact with the Premiere Elements Forum at Adobe.

More later. Looking forward to your preliminary results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Remove a video flaw, using Premiere Elements 9

Feedback: OK, I read the posted reference, on motion tracking, and effects mask using blurr. The steps seemed pretty simple, but perhaps too simple, maybe I missed something. I loaded the clip into timeline, moved to a clear spot on the clip, to isolate the flaw........activated the motion tracking icon.....and fitted the box that appeared(around the target flaw). I did not however see any yellow frame "3.Select any one of the tracked objects (shown by a yellow frame)" There was a yellow frame around the entire screen, that seemed to go to blue when complete, but nothing around specific objects on the screen. I tried with clip art first, and then with blurr. Both seemed to affect the area, but did not track the debre motion(as marked with the box). It did not seem that the motion tracking was following, or that the edited area, changed poition. I could move the timeline back and forth, and see the blurr spot, but no apparent tracking across the video. I will try some more. Blurr, also did not remove the flaw completely where it did blurr, as it is a pretty opaque mark on the screen. Thank You! I also had a second video track show, on the timeline above the original; which appeared to be asociated with the motion tracking activation. 

• 8. Re: Remove a video flaw, using Premiere Elements 9

I have also tried this in analyzed mode, with no luck. I did find a way to get the yellow and blue boxes to activate, using buttons not mentioned at the top right of display area. Maunal selection of motion tracking area, seems to keep telling me no motion is detected. When I do finaly get it to take, and the box turns blue; the clip art or effect, do not track anywhere. Both just show up as a single frame, with no tracking. Seems I am missign something, because I tried the clip art on the larger images in the frame; and it did not track either. Seems I am trying to track the same image location(the debree) as I am placing the object or blur edit. Maybe that is the problem? That seems the only way to achieve the goal  however. I want a new image area, to track over the debree area in this case. At least htat is how I understand it.  

• 9. Re: Remove a video flaw, using Premiere Elements 9

tiltmonster369

I am hoping to spend more time on this tomorrow. The Motion Tracking and alternatives.

But I just wanted to let you know that I saw you latest details and will respond tomorrow.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Remove a video flaw, using Premiere Elements 9
                            the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

In the shot of the aquarium, is the camera on a tripod, so that the "spot" stays pretty much in the same spot, or does the camera move about?

If it's static, it would be easy to do the following:

1. Duplicate the Clip, placing that on a higher Video Track.
                            2. Use the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position, to offset that Duplicate Clip slightly, so that a "clean" area of the aquarium is now overlaying that spot.
                            3. Create a soft-edged Track Matte, placing that on a higher Video Track, such as Video 3, for that "clean" area only, and add Track Matte Keying, linking to that Track Matte. That will eliminate all other parts of the Duplicate Clip, so that one ONLY sees that "clean" area, where the spot appears.

If the camera moves about, then you will need to animate the Track Matte to follow the camera's movement, using the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position again.

If one had access to Adobe After Effects, then it would be easy to use AE's Clone Stamp to replace the area of the spot with a "clean" Clone, from nearby. If there is camera movement, then AE's Motion Tracking is much more powerful, than the one in PrE.

Along the same lines, if one has Photoshop, then its Clone Stamp in what is called Rotoscoping, with an Image Sequence/Film Strip, can do the same thing, but on a frame-by-frame basis.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Remove a video flaw, using Premiere Elements 9

Unfortunately it is free hand, with some panning from side to side, following the target. It is a small tank, with relatively slow pans, as they switch sides; but there is quite a bit of movement over all, as they fight over food. I would say about 3-4 pans from one side of the tank to other, and the rest is very minimal panning. The whole space, is only about a foot across maybe. Subjects a little bigger than a quarter. I assume Adobe "affter affects" is an add on, or part of another piece of software like Pro? I guess this leaves me with option 3? Frame by frame. Is that practical time wise? Are we talking hours or days to do it? I will get back for more detail, when I can deote full attention back to this project....on how to do the frame by frame. Thank You!    

• 12. Re: Remove a video flaw, using Premiere Elements 9

tiltmonster369

Sorry I have gotten detoured from your thread. I have made some significant gains with covering up the flaws in your image, but all I have is the screenshot to work from.

Is there much cross over between the objects that you want to cover up and those that you do not?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Remove a video flaw, using Premiere Elements 9
                                  the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

Given the filming technique, do you have access to Adobe After Effects? If so, that would be my suggestion.

Good luck,

Hunt