23 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2013 3:44 PM by station_two

PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB

trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm using PS CS6 (13.0.1) 64 bit with Windows 7.  I noticed recently that new files created in PS are inflated by almost 1.4 MB. For Example:

I Go to File> New> Width 100 pixels, Height 100 pixels, RGB, 8 bit, Color Profile sRGB

It tells me the 'Image Size' is 29.3 KB. Click OK and save the file as a JPEG or TIFF and the files size is slightly over 1.4 MB. I checked the file for  metadata in Bridge, but don't see anything that could account for the additional 1.4 MB. I opened a JPEG image with XnView and saved the file with 'Keep IPTC Data' unchecked and the file size dropped to 12 KB. On examining the metadata in Bridge or EXIF Tool GUI there are no IPTC data entries in the original PS file.

What's interesting is if I Import the same 1.4 MB+ file into Lightroom 4.4 and Export it full-size the file size also drops to 16 KB. This indicates to me that there is 1.4 MB of data being added to  'New Files' created inside PS that is not seen or used by Lightroom 4.4.

I realize I can use 'Save For Web' to reduce the file size by removing metadata, but I'd like to identify what is causing the the additional 1.4 MB. 

I'm inserting a 1.4 MB+ 100x100 pixel JPEG file here, but not sure if the orignal metadata or file-size will be retained:

Test 100x100 8 Quality Baseline Optimized.jpg

• 1. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB

If you click on the above 100x100 pixel image, right-click and 'Save Image As,' the file is 1.4 MB. The metadata in the above uploaded image file is intact.

Any and all assistance is appreciated.

• 2. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB
            Level 5

Very bizarre!

That ridiculously tiny 100 x 100 pizel square is indeed 1.4 MB. 

How did you generate it and save it?   Did you just append the .jpg extension to its name?

A true head scratcher. 

Here's some of the metadata:

<?xpacket begin="" id="W5M0MpCehiHzreSzNTczkc9d"?>

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="Adobe XMP Core 5.3-c011 66.145661, 2012/02/06-14:56:27        ">

<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">

<rdf:Description rdf:about=""

xmlns:xmp="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/">

<xmp:CreatorTool>Adobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)</xmp:CreatorTool>

<xmp:CreateDate>2013-07-20T10:41:04-04:00</xmp:CreateDate>

<xmp:MetadataDate>2013-07-20T11:39:18-04:00</xmp:MetadataDate>

<xmp:ModifyDate>2013-07-20T11:39:18-04:00</xmp:ModifyDate>

</rdf:Description>

xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">

<dc:format>image/jpeg</dc:format>

xmlns:xmpMM="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/mm/"

xmlns:stEvt="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/sType/ResourceEvent#">

<xmpMM:InstanceID>xmp.iid:FD8938B34EF1E21181FBC1206EDAFD21</xmpMM:InstanceID>

<xmpMM:DocumentID>xmp.did:1C53988843F1E21181FBC1206EDAFD21</xmpMM:DocumentID>

<xmpMM:OriginalDocumentID>xmp.did:1C53988843F1E21181FBC1206EDAFD21</xmpMM:OriginalDocumen tID>

<xmpMM:History>

<rdf:Seq>

<rdf:li rdf:parseType="Resource">

<stEvt:action>created</stEvt:action>

<stEvt:instanceID>xmp.iid:1C53988843F1E21181FBC1206EDAFD21</stEvt:instanceID>

<stEvt:when>2013-07-20T10:41:04-04:00</stEvt:when>

<stEvt:softwareAgent>Adobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)</stEvt:softwareAgent>

</rdf:li>

<stEvt:action>saved</stEvt:action>

<stEvt:instanceID>xmp.iid:1D53988843F1E21181FBC1206EDAFD21</stEvt:instanceID>

<stEvt:when>2013-07-20T10:43:34-04:00</stEvt:when>

<stEvt:changed>/</stEvt:changed>

<stEvt:action>saved</stEvt:action>

<stEvt:instanceID>xmp.iid:FD8938B34EF1E21181FBC1206EDAFD21</stEvt:instanceID>

<stEvt:when>2013-07-20T11:39:18-04:00</stEvt:when>

<stEvt:changed>/</stEvt:changed>

</rdf:Seq>

</xmpMM:History>

xmlns:photoshop="http://ns.adobe.com/photoshop/1.0/">

<photoshop:LegacyIPTCDigest>CDCFFA7DA8C7BE09057076AEAF05C34E</photoshop:LegacyIPTCDigest>

<photoshop:ColorMode>3</photoshop:ColorMode>

<photoshop:ICCProfile>sRGB IEC61966-2.1</photoshop:ICCProfile>

<photoshop:History>2013-07-20T08:48:44-07:00&#x9;File Test+100x100+8+Quality+Baseline+Optimized.jpg opened&#xA;</photoshop:History>

xmlns:tiff="http://ns.adobe.com/tiff/1.0/">

<tiff:ImageWidth>100</tiff:ImageWidth>

<tiff:ImageLength>100</tiff:ImageLength>

<tiff:BitsPerSample>

<rdf:Seq>

<rdf:li>8</rdf:li>

</rdf:Seq>

</tiff:BitsPerSample>

<tiff:PhotometricInterpretation>2</tiff:PhotometricInterpretation>

<tiff:Orientation>1</tiff:Orientation>

<tiff:SamplesPerPixel>3</tiff:SamplesPerPixel>

<tiff:XResolution>720000/10000</tiff:XResolution>

<tiff:YResolution>720000/10000</tiff:YResolution>

<tiff:ResolutionUnit>2</tiff:ResolutionUnit>

xmlns:exif="http://ns.adobe.com/exif/1.0/">

<exif:ExifVersion>0221</exif:ExifVersion>

<exif:ColorSpace>1</exif:ColorSpace>

<exif:PixelXDimension>100</exif:PixelXDimension>

<exif:PixelYDimension>100</exif:PixelYDimension>

</rdf:RDF>

</x:xmpmeta>

<?xpacket end="w"?>

• 3. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB
              Level 5

Being a Mac user, I wouldn't want to speculate on a Windows file, but…

"tiff" ???

"xmp" ???

 

• 4. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB
                Noel Carboni Level 8

There has been another recent report of this here on the forum as well in a thread created not more than a week ago.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5508402

From everything I can see, something in the XMP metadata stored in the file is being augmented by Photoshop every time the image is edited.  Almost as though a "file history" is being maintained.

The proposed workaround in the other thread was to use File - Save For Web to save the JPEG without metadata.  Apparently File - Save As always includes it.

The concept that Photoshop now maintains some kind of ever growing list of "lineage" data - describing things that have been done to the document before being saved in its current state - then always saves it in the JPEG file just seems wrong to me.  It ought to be something that can be made optional at the very least.

I don't know the motivation that may have led to this behavior, nor even whether it is by design or a mistake.  It would be nice if Chris Cox would stop by and shed a little more light on what's changed here...

-Noel

• 5. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB
                  Level 5

Well, on the Mac whether to include the history—and how—is indeed optional:

Screen Shot 2013-07-20 at 9.10.45 AM.png

• 6. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB

A "new" file was generated from inside PS just as I outlined above using:

Go to File> New> Width 100 pixels, Height 100 pixels, RGB, 8 bit, Color Profile sRGB

Notice that these tiny JPEG screenshots created in PS are also >1.4 MB!

Test Image - New File Dialouge.jpg

Test Image - Save Dialouge.jpg

• 7. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB

station_two wrote:

Well, on the Mac whether to include the history—and how—is indeed optional:

My PS CS6 General Preferences have 'History Log' unchecked so that isn't the cause, but that would inflate the file size.

• 8. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

I know about that setting, Ramon, but it's not the kind of history I found in the file from the other thread. 

However on closer examination this one doesn't seem to have the same kind of metadata, and in fact the raw metadata doesn't seem anything like large enough to account for this kind of bloat.

Not sure what to say, trshaner...  It's not doing that here - this is a file I created, filled with the same gray from your file, and saved at quality level 10.  It's a whopping 9 kbytes.

Noels_JPEG.jpg

Do you have any 3rd party plug-ins installed that could be affecting what's saved in a document?

Malware came to mind, but I don't know specifically of malware that causes Photoshop to save extra stuff in a JPEG, and my AV scanner didn't find any threats in your JPEG when I scanned it.

-Noel

• 9. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB
                          Level 5

I agree, Noel.  This is most bizarre.   Malware came to mind too.

• 10. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB

Noel Carboni wrote:

Do you have any 3rd party plug-ins installed that could be affecting what's saved in a document?

Malware came to mind, but I don't know specifically of malware that causes Photoshop to save extra stuff in a JPEG, and my AV scanner didn't find any threats in your JPEG when I scanned it.

-Noel

The only PS plugin I use is Image Trends Fisheye-Hemi. I'm also running Norton Internet Security, which checks every email and every file I download before installing.

• 11. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB
                              Noel Carboni Level 8

Something to try, on a very wild hunch...  Try saving what should be a tiny file with [ ] Save In Background unchecked in the File Handling preferences.

-Noel

• 12. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB

Noel Carboni wrote:

However on closer examination this one doesn't seem to have the same kind of metadata, and in fact the raw metadata doesn't seem anything like large enough to account for this kind of bloat.

The bloat is in the IPTC section of the metadata. If I open this 100x100 pixel PS JPEG image with XnView and save the file with 'Keep IPTC Data' unchecked (i.e. IPTC data removed) the file size drops to 12 KB. It has to be something in the IPTC, but both Bridge and EXIFtool GUI show no IPTC data in the file.

• 13. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB
                                  Noel Carboni Level 8

A clue:  I spotted some text in the file that I don't find in mine...

Copyright 2009, Dry Creek Photo/www.drycreekphoto.com

and

Options = {

ICCProfileVersion = "2.4"

OptimizationType = "Parametric"

Copyright = "Copyright 2009, Dry Creek Photo"

CompensateFluorescence = "1"

.HasBrightener = "1"

DryCreekPhotoAnnealing = "Complete - Combinatorial"

DryCreekPhotoStability = "FFT-Constant"

DryCreekPhotoWavelet = "Daubechies"

DryCreekPhotoFit = "Median"

DryCreekPhotoLUT = "Linear 2"

DryCreekPhotoSolver = "PARDISO"

}

Could it be that there's a huge amount of color profile info saved in the file having to do with the last print you made (or possibly your default printer)?

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB

I use Dry Creek's Costco printer profiles for PS and LR soft proofing, but I don't have a printer attached to this system. My Windows 7 default printer is an old B&W HP Laserjet 5L. Is there a different default printer setting inside LR?

• 15. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB
                                      Noel Carboni Level 8

I'll be honest, I don't know why or under what conditions proofing profile information would or should show up inside a JPEG file.

Are the profile files large (e.g., megabyte sized)?

-Noel

• 16. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB

Yes, they all are 1.925 MB in size, so pretty close to 1.4 MB. It appears you've found the problem, but what's causing this printer profile to show up in the metadata of a new unprocessed and unprinted JPEG file?

• 17. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB

OK, I had some time to investigate this some more. I created the same 100x100 pixel 'New File' in PS 32 bit version and the files size is 12 KB. On a hunch I renamed the PS 64 bit Preferences file 'Adobe Photoshop X64 CS6 Prefs.psp,' to force PS to create a new preferences file. It seems to have fixed the problem and now creates a 12 KB file size! It appears All 'New Files' created in PS 64 bit were being appended with the Costco Printer profile, which I could see by opening the JPEG file with Windows Notepad. The text file size was 1.4 MB, which explains the bloat. Why it happended I have no idea, but it's fixed now.

Noel, thank you for identifying the problem and enabling me to resolve the issue.

Cheers,

Todd

• 18. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB
                                            Noel Carboni Level 8

You're welcome, and thanks in return for reporting that it was solved by a preferences reset.  That's such a general restorative measure that it's almost always suggested as an "if all else fails" activity.  I'm sorry I didn't think to recommend it, and I'm glad you thought to try it.

-Noel

• 19. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB
                                              Level 5

Noel Carboni wrote:

…solved by a preferences reset.  That's such a general restorative measure that it's almost always suggested as an "if all else fails" activity…

I think of trashing preferences as the first thing to try.  Always. 

Some folks are inexplicably reluctant to trash Photoshop preferences.  If you record yourself while setting all the preferences values the way you like, you can then run that action and have your preferences restored with a single click any time you need to.

Besides, I fell that it does a user good to be reminded of what all the preferences are and what they're about.

• 20. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB
                                                ann_graf

So... resetting preferences fixed the file size issue? I have the same issue. All of my files are now 3x the size they were in CS5.

• 21. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB
                                                  Level 5

Since your post appears as addressed to yours truly, I hasten to stress that I never had that particular issue. 

My post was a comment on Noel's remark referring to the trashing/resetting of preferences as an "if all else fails" activity.  In my experience since I first got a Mac three decades ago, the trashing/resetting of preferences is the first step to take when confronted by anything that "suddenly" starts acting weird, which is a sign of a suddenly corrupted preference file.

If you need a quick and dirty way to restore your preferences, here's a way you can do it using a keyboard shortcut on launch:

Windows - CTRL-SHIFT-ALT immediately after you double-click the PS icon.

Macintosh - CMD-SHIFT-OPTION immediately after you double-click the PS icon.

If you get the Photoshop splash screen, it means you weren't fast enough in pressing the 3-key combination.

• 22. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB

ann_graf wrote:

So... resetting preferences fixed the file size issue? I have the same issue. All of my files are now 3x the size they were in CS5.

My issue was due to PS appending a printer profile to all new files created in PS, which inflated files by 1.4 MB. So small files (less than 1.4 MB) were increased considerably and large files (much greated than 1.4 MB) only slightly. Resetting the perferences file resolved my issue.

• 23. Re: PS CS6 files are now inflated by 1.4 MB
                                                      Level 5

Corrupted preferences can create all kinds of unfathomable misbehavior.