4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2013 8:19 PM by Jim_Simon

RAM & PREVIEW

Hr-Raiko

Hi. Question about Premiere Pro CS6

I have laptop ( ASUS N56VZ-S4044V - http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-N56VZ-S4044V-Notebook.78305.0.html )

with 8GB RAM (2x4GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-12800 800MHz Dual-channel (1600MHz) (Model: HMT351S6CFR8C-PB))

and i work with 1080p video. Preview lags a lot and my question is, is it going better if i get new ram 16GB

(2x Kingston 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL11 SODIMM, KVR16S11/8) ?

There is no lag without effects, fades, color correction, plugins makes preview lag.

Or there is something else what may help me?

• 1. Re: RAM & PREVIEW
          Jim_Simon Level 8

A faster CPU and GPU will help smooth out effects-laden playback more than memory would.

• 2. Re: RAM & PREVIEW
            Hr-Raiko Level 1

It's a laptop, so its harder to customize.

New CPUs are too expensive and GPU is not replaceable.

In feature i build a normal PC but atm i just need some solution.

New RAM and SSD for OS and 7200rpm HDD for files (or conversely). Maybe it helps?

• 3. Re: RAM & PREVIEW
              olivercer

Your GPU is not officially supported for the "Mercury Playback GPU Engine". In other words you do not get GPU optimization.

You can bypass this limitation upgrading to Premiere CC or playing with a file, you can google that!

• 4. Re: RAM & PREVIEW
                Jim_Simon Level 8

It's a laptop, so its harder to customize.

Exactly.  That was my roundabout way of saying get a new Laptop, or even better, build your own desktop.

New RAM and SSD for OS and 7200rpm HDD for files (or conversely). Maybe it helps?

Unlikely.  The CPU and the GPU are the two things that most determine how well playback occurs with effects.