6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2013 7:14 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 11 Does Not Launch

stevevr

Hello -

I've recently installed Premier Elements 11 on Windows 7 (64 bit). I'm having a very similar problem to what the user in http://forums.adobe.com/message/5499536 has been going through. When going to Video Editor->New Project the app simply fails to launch. The thread referenced is painful to read with way too many possibilities for errors along the way. Is there a way to start things up in debug mode or in some other way so the program can tell us what's wrong? The guessing game is tough and knowing that things are fragile when there are changes to the system means this is an exercise that many will have to endure.

Steve

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Does Not Launch
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Let us go through this for your specific situation.

Windows 7 64 bit. How much RAM do you have installed and how much free hard drive space? Overall what is the processor description, dual core,  ?GHz

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed? And, do you check permission, either running program from a User Account labelled for Administrative Priviledges or by right clicking the destop icon and selecting Run As Administrator?

Have you been able to open any Premiere Elements 11 project on that Windows 7 64 bit computer to date?

Rather than have you go through deactivate, uninstall, reinstall at this time, let us see what happens if you delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file or the whole folder in which it exists.

Make sure that you are working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives selected.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Folder that you delete. And, if that does not do it, then delete the 11.0 Folder in which it is included.

Another candidate for creating problems with the program is the antivirus program. See if disabling that in Action Center, has any impact on your Premiere Elements 11 performance on Windows 7 64 bit. Temporarily remove the check mark next to virus protection.

ActionCenter.JPG

It might be easier to go through the thread that you mentioned and work through the possibilities than it would be to do otherwise.

Another prime candidate is the video card driver and whether or not it is update to date according to the information at the web site of the video card manufacturer.

All quick enough to do in a systematic troubleshooting plan.

Under Window Menu in the project, there is an Event category.

And, there is an Adobe troubleshooting scheme using Logs to troubleshoot installation issues.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/troubleshoot-install-using-logs-elements.html

See how you do on the above. Then, if you have not done it already, I would suggest that deactivate the program (in the project Help Menu/Deactivate), close the program, and then go the Control Panel route to uninstall the program. Then reinstall the program. All this with the antivirus and firewalls disabled for this time period.

How did you do resizing that photos? Did your friend help you with that or is the meeting with the friend still to come. I ask since perhaps the friend could get a first hand look of the situation and perhaps from that perspective target the issue. If not, it is a process of going through the typical troubleshooting schemes  systematically to rule out or in what we can.

Please take it one step at a time and let us see if we can work through this.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Does Not Launch
            stevevr Level 1

Hello ATR -

Thank you for the quick reply.

RAM: 16G

Processor: i7-2600K CPU @ 3.4GHz

Disk: 10G free on C: (an SSD if that matters)

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6670 with the very latest driver

Quicktime: 7.7.4 (the latest)

I've never been able to open it. Just bought the upgrade a few days ago.

I turned off the Symantec AV & Firewall and also deleted the directory you mentioned above - this was under Roaming in AppData. Still no luck.

I've updated the video drivers to the very latest from AMD

I've uninstalled and reinstalled with AV turned off. Still no luck

Steve

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Does Not Launch
              stevevr Level 1

No need to take this further. I've decided to return the product.

Thanks,

Steve

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Does Not Launch
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

I do not work for Adobe, nor am I affiliated with in anyway. So, the following is a from one Premiere Elements user to another.

If you want to return the product, good to do that within 30 days of purchase. There is an Adobe money back guarantee as I understand it.

But how about contacting Adobe Technical Service for some free Technical Service advice. It might have some undocumented fixes for your situation. Or, for that matter, some route we have overlooked.

There should be an Adobe Chat representative who may be able to find the key to this issue or direct you to an Adobe department who can do remote troubleshooting.

I have Premiere Elements (many versions) on Windows computers. My only non launching issues have been related to antivirus influences. But I know there are many many other possibilities. Your computer resources sources look impressive.

Thanks for the opportunity to try to help.

ATR

Add On...

Please excuse the mention of photo resizing and a friend's help...that was intended for another Steve who is posting today. I thought that you were he posting about a new problem in a separate thread.

Please let us know if you want to look into this suggestion before the return/money back of version 11. If history repeats itself there should be a new version come September. But no one but Adobe knows for sure.

But whatever your choice of video editor, please do the free 30 day tryout before purchase to assure that the program is compatible with your system and your video editing needs.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Does Not Launch
                  stevevr Level 1

Hello ATR -

Thanks for you help. I really do appreciate it. I realize you don't work for Adobe which makes your help all that much more appreciated. I mentioned the return only because I didn't want you to put any more time into it.

Thanks,

Steve

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Does Not Launch
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Hope all turns out well for you with this matter whatever you decide.

But if ever you need a backseat driver for the troubleshooting, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR