13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2013 3:14 PM by A.T. Romano

.mp4 issues

PPelkowski

I am having problems opening and viewing .mp4 files within Adobe Premiere Elements version 9. I can import the file and put it on to the timeline just fine. However once it's there it is oversized in the project window and when I try to advance it or play it, it just doesn't do much. It starts and stops on a different frame within a second. When I just double click on the file in the Media window it opens and looks ok until I hit play. Then it just 1/4 way through the clip, then to a 1/2 then 3/4 and stops. I am using the 64 bit Windows 7 version. I can't get any details as far as codecs off of the clip in it's properties tab. Could ths be project settings not matching up or a codec issue?

Pat

• 1. Re: .mp4 issues
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Pat

We do need more information on this.

Can you download and installed the free MediaInfo program to get a properties readout for this .mp4 file?.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Make sure that you go to View/Tree View so that you get the complete readout which will include details of Video and Audio properties.Let me know if you are OK posting those readouts after you obtain them.

Based on the properties of this .mp4, we can set the appropriate project preset in the new project dialog. The project preset should match the properties of your source media. That setting directs the program to set up the correct space in the Edit Mode Monitor from which you edit. That is why this type of information is so important.

What do your Windows 7 64 bit computer resources look like? You realize that Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is still 32 bit application on Windows 7 64 bit. When you get to versions 10 and 11, then 10 and 11 become 64 bit programs in the Windows 7 or 8 64 bit systems. This has resource implications.

The source media information and the project preset should take care of this issue. But let us see by the details that you present.

We are looking forward to your follow up.

Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: .mp4 issues
            PPelkowski Level 1

Thank you so much for getting back to me so soon! I downloaded Mediainfo and ran it on one of the files that I am having trouble with. I am assuming, hopefully not incorrectly, that since I obtained these files from the same source that they will all be ecoding the same way. I will past the info below. Sorry for the long paste but I didn't see any way to place an attachement on this reply. Thanks again. Alsom, would it be a good recomendation for me to upgrade to Elements 11 from my current ver. #9?

Pat

General

Complete name :C:\videos\WSU VB101 Dinner\VB 101 2013\Northern IA\VB vs UNI Highlights (1).mp4
            Format :MPEG-4
            Format profile :Base Media / Version 2
            Codec ID :mp42
            File size :50.5 MiB
            Duration :4mn 26s
            Overall bit rate mode :Variable
            Overall bit rate :1 592 Kbps
            Encoded date :UTC 2012-10-27 02:25:10
            Tagged date :UTC 2012-10-27 02:25:58
            Writing application :HandBrake 0.9.8 2012071800

Video

ID :1
            Format :AVC
            Format/Info :Advanced Video Codec
            Format profile :Main@L3.0
            Format settings, CABAC :Yes
            Format settings, ReFrames :4 frames
            Codec ID :avc1
            Codec ID/Info :Advanced Video Coding
            Bit rate mode :Variable
            Bit rate :1 426 Kbps
            Width :638 pixels
            Height :360 pixels
            Display aspect ratio :16:9
            Frame rate mode :Variable
            Frame rate :29.970 fps
            Minimum frame rate :29.960 fps
            Maximum frame rate :29.970 fps
            Color space :YUV
            Chroma subsampling :4:2:0
            Bit depth :8 bits
            Scan type :Progressive
            Bits/(Pixel*Frame) :0.207
            Stream size :45.2 MiB (90%)
            Writing library :x264 core 120
            Encoding settings :cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=2 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=300 / keyint_min=30 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=10 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=3 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
            Color primaries :BT.601 NTSC
            Transfer characteristics :BT.709
            Matrix coefficients :BT.601

Audio

ID :2
            Format :AAC
            Format/Info :Advanced Audio Codec
            Format profile :LC
            Codec ID :40
            Duration :4mn 22s
            Bit rate :163 Kbps
            Maximum bit rate :203 Kbps
            Channel(s) :2 channels
            Channel positions :Front: L R
            Sampling rate :44.1 KHz
            Compression mode :Lossy
            Delay relative to video :67ms
            Stream size :5.12 MiB (10%)
            Language :English
            • 3. Re: .mp4 issues
              A.T. Romano Level 7

PPelkowski

It is getting late where I am but I have something to work on.

You have a very atypical video there. Atypical for the project presets that Premiere Elements (any version) offers.

From that readout it looks like your have a file with the file extension mp4. The video compression appears to be AVCHD, and the audio compression appears to be AAC Stereo. But, this video as a frame size of 638 x 369 16:9 and a variable frame rate of around 29.97 progressive frames per second (but it does not look like it is varying all that much). What you have might be classed "AVCHD LITE" because of the frame size associated with the AVCHD compression. Be that as it may....

This is the information that I would like for next time.

Open a new Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project and set the project preset in the new project dialog to NTSC DV Widescreen.

When you are in the workspace, if you see any small black borders to the left or right of the space in the Editor mode monitor, scale them away by highlighting the clip, Properties Palette, Motion Panel expanded and Scale property there. Render that Timeline content with the Enter Key fo the computer main keyboard and let us know what you have video and audio-wise.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: .mp4 issues
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Below is for the iPhone... but no version of Premiere (Pro or Elements) works properly with variable frame rate video

Iphone won't edit easily because it uses a variable frame rate
                - A possible fix in message #22 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/934466

Since your video was produced by Handbrake, you might check for different Handbrake output options

• 5. Re: .mp4 issues
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith

I was concerned even to mention "variable frame rates" in the context of this specific user since typically the minimum and maximum frame rates show marked difference in devices whose outputs have this property. But compare here:

Frame rate: 29.970 fps

Minimum frame rate: 29.960

Maximum frame rate: 29.970

A lot going on in this case besides frame rate, so I would least expect the frame rate as reflected in the properties readout in this case to be the cause of the issues.

We will be watching for further developments from PPelkowski to rule in or out all possibilties.

ATR

• 6. Re: .mp4 issues
                    PPelkowski Level 1

Ok so I started a project and changed the project settings to  "NTSC DV Widescreen".  I placed the same clip in the timeline that I was using before. The size of the clip now fit in to the editor window but did have some small black edges on the sides as ATR said it might. So I highlighted the clip in the editor window and dragged the edges to fill the gaps. However, the clip still acts the same when played. Jumps to one or maybe two frames and stops. There is was no audio at all.

Pat

• 7. Re: .mp4 issues
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

PPelkowski

Thanks for looking at that project preset related troubleshooting step.

What is your intended export for this file. In spite of what the preview is looking like, have you tried to export to see if the Timeline problems are reflected in the export.

Let us take a try at changing the file extension of the video file in question.

Rename just the file extension of the file and then import it into Premiere Elements.

mp4 to .mpg

mp4 to .avi

mp4 to .mov

mp4 to .m2t

Also, when you followed up on my prior suggestion about the NTSC DV Widescreen project preset, after you imported the video and scaled it to fit the Edit Mode Monitor space, did you render the Timeline by pressing the Enter key of the computer main keyboard, and then judge the Timeline content playback?

When you say there is no audio, do you see or not see wave form in the audio track's display of the audio portion of the file?

Right now I am thinking conversion of the file to another format prior to importing it into Premiere Elements. But let us see what happens with the above thoughts.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: .mp4 issues
                        PPelkowski Level 1

I researched the HandBrake output options as John had suggested and they reccommended their video file converter. So I downloaded that and used the info that both ATR and John had given me. I changed the output from Varialble frame Rate to Constant Framerate. The only options it gave me in output settings was .mp4 or mkv (I have no idea what mkv is). I took the file it gave me and inserted it into the project settings that ATR gave me and walla it worked! Not sure if I just backed doored the problem or if it will give me problems down the road but it seems to have given me what I need so I can edit. Thoughts?

Pat

• 9. Re: .mp4 issues
                          PPelkowski Level 1

ATR, I had tried the renaming tactic as it had worked for me in the past but this time it did not. Also, I had rendered the video as well when I did our last steps. There is an audio file in the video 1 slot but the clip is extremely short on teh timeline. 1 maybe 2 seconds.

• 10. Re: .mp4 issues
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

PPelkowski

Definitely go with what worked for you to get that video to be compatible with Premiere Elements video editing. But let us know what happens on the exporting side of things in this project.

Could you post the MediaInfo properties readout for the file that worked for you in Premiere Elements, so that we could see a properties readout for the convert type that worked for you after the HandBrake output options adjusts. That would be very interesting and informative information.

Good job. Sounds like progress. Always good news.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: .mp4 issues
                              PPelkowski Level 1

Here is what the Media Info had for the properties of the file that worked:

General

Complete name :C:\videos\WSU VB101 Dinner\VB 101 2013\Northern IA\test uni.mp4
                              Format :MPEG-4
                              Format profile :Base Media / Version 2
                              Codec ID :mp42
                              File size :45.3 MiB
                              Overall bit rate mode :Variable
                              Overall bit rate :1 428 Kbps
                              Encoded date :UTC 2013-07-21 19:25:45
                              Tagged date :UTC 2013-07-21 19:26:11
                              Writing application :HandBrake 0.9.9 2013051800

Video

ID :1
                              Format :AVC
                              Format/Info :Advanced Video Codec
                              Format profile :Main@L4.0
                              Format settings, CABAC :Yes
                              Format settings, ReFrames :4 frames
                              Codec ID :avc1
                              Codec ID/Info :Advanced Video Coding
                              Bit rate :1 265 Kbps
                              Width :638 pixels
                              Height :360 pixels
                              Display aspect ratio :16:9
                              Frame rate mode :Constant
                              Frame rate :29.970 fps
                              Color space :YUV
                              Chroma subsampling :4:2:0
                              Bit depth :8 bits
                              Scan type :Progressive
                              Bits/(Pixel*Frame) :0.184
                              Stream size :40.1 MiB (89%)
                              Writing library :x264 core 130 r2273 b3065e6
                              Encoding settings :cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=2 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=9 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=300 / keyint_min=30 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=10 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=20000 / vbv_bufsize=25000 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
                              Tagged date :UTC 2013-07-21 19:26:11
                              Color primaries :BT.601 NTSC
                              Transfer characteristics :BT.709
                              Matrix coefficients :BT.601

Audio

ID :2
                              Format :AAC
                              Format/Info :Advanced Audio Codec
                              Format profile :LC
                              Codec ID :40
                              Duration :4mn 22s
                              Bit rate :160 Kbps
                              Maximum bit rate :238 Kbps
                              Channel(s) :2 channels
                              Channel positions :Front: L R
                              Sampling rate :44.1 KHz
                              Compression mode :Lossy
                              Delay relative to video :67ms
                              Stream size :5.01 MiB (11%)
                              Language :English
                              Tagged date :UTC 2013-07-21 19:26:10
                              • 12. Re: .mp4 issues
                                PPelkowski Level 1

I exported a test file to both a .avi and to an .mpg and both worked fine and looked good.  Thanks for all your help. I appeciate the advice.

Pat

• 13. Re: .mp4 issues
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

PPelkowski

Thanks for the very good news about Premiere Elements and using it with your particular video.

I compared the "it worked" with the "it did not work" video properties.

The differences seem to be confined to the video section. The "Frame Mode Mode" from variable to Constant is particularly inviting as the explanation between the two, but... I am not sure of the signifcance of Format profile from "Main@L3.0" versus "Main@4.0". There are some bitrate changes along the way, but...

When all is said and done, the change works for you and you can move forward with your project successfully.

Continued success. And, the follow up was much appreciated.

ATR