10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2013 4:53 PM by Jammer Jammer

The command "Invert" is not currently available

Jammer Jammer Level 1

Although a long time PS veteran, (currently CS5), for some reason I just never really got into the actions. Well a few days ago I learned a technique for making pencil drawings from photos and I surprised that I actually liked the results. Since a client wanted me to do this to many images, I thought it would be foolish not to create an action for it so I did so but every time I try to run the action, about half way through, I get the following message.....The command "Invert" is not currently available.

I've already done some searching about this problem and have already done the following suggestions:

1. Check color mode of image

2. Make sure "add mask by default is checked in the adjustment layers settings

3. Make sure "add default masks on fill layer is checked in the layers panel options

These are all fine. Any other ideas for this "Actions" newbie?

THANKS!

• 1. Re: The command "Invert" is not currently available
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

When you get that message the action will be in a stopped state.  Look at the Image  window and the layers palette is some layer targeted that can be inverted? Is the layer content targeted or is the layer mask or is the vector mask the target is there an active selection. It there something that can be inverted?  A message like that is very common when an action is not recorded well.  All the message means that is in the document current state there is nothing that can be inverted.  So invert is not possible. You may have notice Photoshop at times grays out options.  Photoshop does that when the current document state does not meet the required condition for the option.

Example

Download

• 2. Re: The command "Invert" is not currently available
            Jammer Jammer Level 1

JJMack,

Thank you VERY much for heading me in the right direction and for all of those useful links.  I will try to further analyze the situation with your questions in mind.

THANKS!

• 3. Re: The command "Invert" is not currently available
              Jammer Jammer Level 1

OK, I just looked at where the actions stops, like you asked and it "appears" as though the active layer "should" be able to be inverted but maybe you can further analyze what's going on with the following info:

Following are the steps that I took while recording the action, steps by the way that actually DID do everything and DID create the image that I was after.  The last "invert", second to last instruction, is where it get's stuck.

Below the instructions is a screen shot of my layers at the time that it gets stuck.

THANKS!

Duplicate background layer and name it B&W

Desat = Ctrl/Shift/U

Duplicate the B&W layer and name it sketch

Invert = Ctrl/I

Change blend mode to color dodge

Layer/Smart Objects/Convert to Smart Object

Filter/Blur/Motion blur......Angle 34/Distance 200

Go back to other B&W layer, duplicate it and name it detail

Move detail layer to top of stack

Filter/Stylize/Glowing Edges....Edge width 1-Edge brightness 16-Smoothness 15

Invert = Ctrl/I

Set blend mode to multiply

Link to larger image:

http://tinypic.com/r/168h2ck/5

1-Where Action Stops.jpg

• 4. Re: The command "Invert" is not currently available

As I wrote you screen capture shows invert is not possible. There is nothing to invert the current target is a smart object layer. A smart object layer pixels can not be changed only acted on with adjustment layers, smart filters, blending modes, layer styles, etc .  The pixels themselves can only be change by double clicking on the layers smart icon in the layers palette to open the embedded smart object in the approbate application so you can modify the object.

It looks like you did not get back to the Black and White layer and duplicate it and name it details for details is a smart object layer not a normal layer like black and white layer.

• 5. Re: The command "Invert" is not currently available
                  Jammer Jammer Level 1

OK JJMack, I'm going to start from scratch and try to re-record this action with your thoughts in mind.  I'l check back at some point later today or tonight to let you know how things went.

THANK YOU !

• 6. Re: The command "Invert" is not currently available

You do not need to start from scratch. The Action Palette is an action editor as well as an action recorder. You can edit your current action and fix it. Read my tips in my crafting action package. There is information in there on how you go about playing action step by step and how you can fix errors during this process.

• 7. Re: The command "Invert" is not currently available
                      Jammer Jammer Level 1

OK my friend.  It's looks like I have a little studying to do.  Thank you VERY much!

• 8. Re: The command "Invert" is not currently available
                        Jammer Jammer Level 1

"It looks like you did not get back to the Black and White layer and duplicate it and name it details for details is a smart object layer not a normal layer like black and white layer."

This ended up being the key.

So I actually DID go back and start from scratch, since it's not all that long of a technique.  We all learn in different ways I guess.  As I made each step, I watched to see what was happening in the action that was being recorded.  I'm not exactly sure why but something dawned on me to experiment with and as it turned out, it was the right experiement!

Here was the problem, when I was doing the step, "Go back to other B&W layer, duplicate it and name it detail", I duplicated the layer the exact same way that I have a million times before and that was to right click on the layer, which AUTOMATICALLY selects the layer and gives me the option to duplicate it and then I  duplicated it and moved it. 

WELL, as far as actually accomplishing that particular task, it works perfectly fine, as it should,  BUT that's NOT how the action WANTED me to accomplish that particular task.  It WANTED me to SELECT the B&W layer FIRST by actually clicking on it and THEN right click on it and duplicate it.  When an ONLY when I took the extra step to select the layer first BEFORE right clicking and duplicating the layer was the action recorded in a way that worked when using it later.

I am SO glad that I figured this out with your help.  I guess I'll have to study up on all of your links.  I guess the action wants you to perform certain steps in a partciular way or it gets tempermental.

Thank you VERY much for sharing your time and expertise on this matter and setting me down the right path to figure this out.  Very kind of you!  Thanks for your patience.

Randy

• 9. Re: The command "Invert" is not currently available

I really think you should read the text files in my crafting actions package.  If you can record an action and select layers in a relative manner you better off the selecting them by name.  Photoshop allows duplicate layer name and does not always generate the same names when you add layers in an action and let Photoshop name then. It depends on the current document what Photoshop will name a new layer.  If you were to run your action twice on a document you would generate layers with duplicate names. Which layer would be selected by name it there were duplicate named layers. If you follow some of my tips you will be able to create actions the can be run run more the once on a document.  You may fine there are actions you want to create that you will want to run more the once on a document.

• 10. Re: The command "Invert" is not currently available
                            Jammer Jammer Level 1

I will most definitely be reading up!

Thanks again.