11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2013 8:37 PM by Lundberg02

OT: All Shaken Up

Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Just by way of sharing with the regular posters, it's been a wild day here.  We've had a few little quakes near me over the last couple of days, but we had a big one this morning, and a huge 6.5 this evening that lasted 30 seconds and had my house moving back and forth like an angry giant had a hold of it.  I was in the shower when this morning's quake hit, and I thought I was going to fall through the glass.  I always thought experiencing a decent earthquake would be an adventure before coming to live in NZ, but, by heck, the 6.5 was not funny at all!!!  My wife Chris is duty manager at the hospital tonight, and she was dreading going to work, because she has to organise things if it goes seriously pear shaped while she's in charge. 

OK guys.  Sorry for the off topic, but I kind of needed to get that off my chest, so to speak.

• 1. Re: OT: All Shaken Up
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Wow!  Glad you and your family are all right, Trevor.  I hope you haven't had serious or lasting damage done to your home, and I especially hope your wife doesn't see a lot of your countrymen at the hospital.

Be safe and be well in the aftermath.

-Noel

• 2. Re: OT: All Shaken Up
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Seems to be a lot going on those last 2 years... Well, glad you made it through unscathed.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: OT: All Shaken Up
              Level 5

Glad you and yours are OK.

Daily quakes are routine in my neck of the woods, and I know it begins to get very scary at around 5.5 in the Richter scale. 

Still remember vividly the 1989  6.9-Richter-scale rearthquake in the San Francisco Bay Area when I was driving toward the City and my heavy Mercury station wagon kept getting bounced up,  down and around by the road waves [!], as well as an 8.1 one while on a business trip in Mexico City in 1985.  Not fun.

• 4. Re: OT: All Shaken Up
                gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'll share this screenshot. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/ has an excellent up to date map of worldwide earthquakes with shake map details.

You can see you are not alone.

Edit: http://geonet.org.nz/quakes/ for your local area.

Gene

quakemap.jpg

• 5. Re: OT: All Shaken Up

Thanks guys.  Lots of aftershakes, but nothing close to yesterday at 5pm.  Sounds like Wellington was hit harder than us. 

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8946666/Quake-aftermath-Stay-out-of-Wellington

But you can see from the way the North and South Islands are positioned, Wellington is hardly any further away than Blenheim.  Chris said it was madness at the hospital last night, and they actually just woke her up because they couldn't find the emergancy radios they have in case the phones go down. Of course it was all writen up in the hand over notes, and on the situation whiteboard, but no one thinks to read or look at that! LOL

Quake Map.jpg

Biggest problem so far is that my favourite cat did a wall of death round the room after the big quake, and we haven't seen him since.  I love that cat. :-(

New Zealand's level of debt to China after the Christchurch quakes is such that if a similar event happened to Wellington, New Zealand would hence forth belong to China! 

• 6. Re: OT: All Shaken Up
                    gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm sure the cat will calm down and  wander back, Trevor. From the looks of things,you are not in a tsunami zone as far as I can tell. In fact I don't think NZ has seen many of those. Other than that, I hope there is no structural damage to the house.

I'll take an earthquake over a hurricane or even over those city-flattening tornadoes in the mid-west. At least the odds are better.

Gene

• 7. Re: OT: All Shaken Up
                      Lundberg02 Level 3

Look your house over carefully for mysterious water leaks.   It took me two months to realize a big quake broke a plastic fitting in the upstairs outside wall. Cost me 700 bucks before I  was through.

• 8. Re: OT: All Shaken Up

They recently made a re-evaluation of the tsunami risk on the eastern coasts of NZ, so it is definitely a consideration.  I wouldn't live near the coast, and that's for sure.

They build houses with earthquakes in mind here, and upgrade the specs as they get more experience from big quakes.  In Christchurch two years ago, it was the old stone and brick buildings that collapsed.  One big difference between here and the UK is that they don't use concrete tiles on the roofs, going instead, for light aluminium roofs which need much lighter trusses. 

Hmm we just had a little shake as I was typing.

On Sunday I could see the walls moving back and forth as the whole house moved.  I imagine they build lighter to minimise the effects of inertia and momentum from the shaking.  One reason Christchurch caused so much damage was that the shakes had a higher vertical element than is usual with earthquakes.

BTW  We have seen the cat once, but it eats quickly and goes back outside.  It’ll calm down in a day or two I’m sure.

• 9. Re: OT: All Shaken Up
                          Noel Carboni Level 8

Imagine the poor thing's thinking...  "Geez, I thought this place was solid and safe to be in".

No quakes here in Florida - ever.  Just slow settling and cracking.

-Noel

• 10. Re: OT: All Shaken Up
                            OldBob1957 Level 4

Noel Carboni wrote:

No quakes here in Florida - ever.  Just slow settling and cracking.

...And the occasional dumnkopf bitten while teasing the gators.

But, hey. At least your cities aren't filing for bankruptcy (I live near Detroit).

• 11. Re: OT: All Shaken Up
                              Lundberg02 Level 3

There has been no mention of any NZ quakes on the news here, but they did mention a 6.5 in China.