19 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2014 5:55 AM by Steven L. Gotz

Static Audio and Video Transition

jasonvp Level 3

Hey folks -

I suspect the answer to this is going to be: "Use AE" but here's hoping it's not the case (I don't have it. )  I'm trying to find, or figure out how to assemble and static video transition that includes sound.  I just haven't a clue how to do it.  I've hunted around a little and read some instructions; most of those include using things like AE.

About 3 seconds into this video, the creator (Mooney) inserts one of his transitions.  I like that, and would love to try and replicate it.  Is it doable without AE or am I SoL there?  Is there a way to do it all within PPro?

(Note: there's some vulgarity in the video, so it may be NSFW if you're not listening on headphones.  You don't need to watch the entire thing, just the first 5 seconds or so.)

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Static Audio and Video Transition
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

You can download and use a free clip.

• 2. Re: Static Audio and Video Transition
            jasonvp Level 3

joe bloe premiere wrote:

You can download and use a free clip.

As it turns out: downloading anything from YouTube is against their TOS, very specifically.  It doesn't stop people from doing it, but I'm not going to play.  That said, I do know there are downloadable clips out there.  Is there a way to turn them into a transition without AE?  Do you just wedge them into the timeline between the two other clips and say "to hell with the transition?"

• 3. Re: Static Audio and Video Transition

Free High Definition TV Static Stock Footage

Your sample is a quick cut to, and from static.

• 4. Re: Static Audio and Video Transition
                jasonvp Level 3

joe bloe premiere wrote:

Your sample is a quick cut to, and from static.

OK, so throw the idea of a transition out the window and just wedge the static into the timeline.  Got it.

Thanks for the idea!

• 5. Re: Static Audio and Video Transition
                  KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It's not that much trouble to make your own static "transition" within Pr. Some free sfx, a black video, one of the video noise effects, a litle ultra, a little opacity, and then save it to use whenever you want. Plus you can adjust the parameters any time. It also works with lightning.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Static Audio and Video Transition
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Its not a transition but a sort of static effect consisting of only 5 frames: 2 off them being black.

Just download the clip and see how its done.

• 7. Re: Static Audio and Video Transition
                      jasonvp Level 3

Jerry Klaimon wrote:

It's not that much trouble to make your own static "transition" within Pr. Some free sfx, a black video, one of the video noise effects, a litle ultra, a little opacity, and then save it to use whenever you want.

Thanks to Jerry and Joe for the guidance.  After your respective instructions "clicked" I was able to whip something up.  I found a video clip of 1080p static (with sound) and imported it.  Instead of cutting to and from it on the time line, I did the overlay thing by adjusting the opacity.  The screen gets static-y just before clip 1 ends, and clears up just after clip 2 starts.

[You should have heard me cackling like an evil genius when I figured it out...]

Now, Jerry, you said "save it to use whenever".  How should I do that?  Export it as a video file?  It already is one (the footage I imported).  Some other way?

• 8. Re: Static Audio and Video Transition

[You should have heard me cackling like an evil genius when I figured it out...]

Slick!

Now, Jerry, you said "save it to use whenever".  How should I do that?  Export it as a video file?  It already is one (the footage I imported).  Some other way?

I think Jerry was describing a different method

than what you have chosen to employ...

by using the available effects within Premiere to create

and save a customized transition.

(His method would not include sound)

Now that you have worked out a method, I would just save

the static clip itself and re-use it (with slightly different

tweaks if necessary) in other transitions.

• 9. Re: Static Audio and Video Transition
                          jasonvp Level 3

joe bloe premiere wrote:

Now that you have worked out a method, I would just save

the static clip itself and re-use it (with slightly different

tweaks if necessary) in other transitions.

OK, the challenge I found with that was clip length and sound.  The effect is literally .05 seconds in length.  Nearly nothing.  I can export that to, say, an MP4, but with the next import it comes in sans sound.

If that's the case, I'll just save a longer version of the effect (a second or 2) and then adjust its length when I do another edit.  Easy enough to do, just takes an extra step or 3.

• 10. Re: Static Audio and Video Transition

I was referring to saving the original clip itself, not a processed segment.

That way, you can use the method you describe above in the future,

and even use different pieces of static, or length, and with audio.

• 11. Re: Static Audio and Video Transition
                              jasonvp Level 3

Minute and a half of game play with 2 transitions in it.  I like what I've come up with so far...

• 12. Re: Static Audio and Video Transition
                                jasonvp Level 3

I wanted to revive this older thread because I think there are ways to improve the workflow, even if that means dipping into After Effects (which I don't currently own).  Bear with me here, please.

My current work flow is described in Post #7.  It works, but it's a bit clumsy.  Let's say I have 2 clips cut together on the time line.  If I grab the static clip (which is both video and audio) and drop it on the time line right at the cut, it overwrites the second clip.  So what I end up doing is placing it on video and audio track #2, and then shifting it around so that it overlaps the end of clip 1 and the beginning of clip 2.

I can't cut and paste it onto the time line like that because it'll automatically overwrite the other two clips.  I have to first separate the two clips, paste the "transition" down, move the audio and video to track 2, and then re-join the two original clips.

Clumsy.  I'm sure there's a better and faster way to do that, but I'll be damned if I know how.

It doesn't appear as though I can make a custom preset transition out of my Static.MP4 file, since it's both video and audio.  Is that correct, or am I mistaken?

Can I do it in Ae and then have something in Pr that I can just drop on the timeline appropriately?

Thanks!

• 13. Re: Static Audio and Video Transition
                                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

If you use keyframes to bring up the static and then bring it back down, using opacity for the video and volume for the audio, you can make it work, assuming you plan for it when you trim the other video clips?

Then perhaps you mostly just need to learn how to paste on the track that you want to paste on. If you are using Premiere Pro CC, then you can just toggle the Track Targeting to the appropriate track. In the following example. I pasted in the clip on track two after setting the V2 track targeting.

Capture.PNG

As to how to save it. simply put it on its own sequence. Create a new project, import just that sequence. Add any other assets you generally use in all, or almost all of your projects, like your logo, or some other clip that has certain effects applied that you use a lot. Or maybe a commonly used sound effect.

I keep a project like that handy. I then import that project into every one of my new projects so that I have those assets ready to go.

In your case, you could just use that sequence as a clip, or, if you prefer, you can open that sequence and copy the clip, in order to paste it where you want it.

Did that help?

• 14. Re: Static Audio and Video Transition
                                    jasonvp Level 3

Steven L. Gotz wrote:

If you use keyframes to bring up the static and then bring it back down, using opacity for the video and volume for the audio, you can make it work, assuming you plan for it when you trim the other video clips?

I have yet to look into keyframes.  I've quite literally just been positioning the static (video and audio) by hand after moving them to their respective Track 2.  You've given me something else to experiment with.

Then perhaps you mostly just need to learn how to paste on the track that you want to paste on. If you are using Premiere Pro CC, then you can just toggle the Track Targeting to the appropriate track. In the following example. I pasted in the clip on track two after setting the V2 track targeting.

That's exactly the thing that was confusing me, and was just a case of simple ignorance on my part.  Thank you for clarifying it.

As to how to save it. simply put it on its own sequence.

Saving it as a sequence is easy.  I was just curious as to whether there was a way to turn it into an easy-to-drop-on-the-timeline transition, like the ones that come pre-packaged with Premiere.  It seems like that's not quite possible in the way I want, unless I'm still misunderstanding something.

Thanks for this, though.  It's really helpful.

• 15. Re: Static Audio and Video Transition
                                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

By the way, I downloaded the original clip from your first post in order to deconstruct it.

It is a straight cut to this for one frame:

Capture.PNG

Then two frames of black.

One frame of this:

Capture.PNG

then one frame of this:

Capture.PNG

Then it finishes up with three frames of black and a straight cut to the next video clip.

Interesting transition!

• 16. Re: Static Audio and Video Transition
                                        jasonvp Level 3

Steven L. Gotz wrote:

By the way, I downloaded the original clip from your first post in order to deconstruct it.

Yeah, I could have done something similar.  The issue is: technically speaking, downloading from YouTube violates their TOS.

• 17. Re: Static Audio and Video Transition
                                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Technically it does violate the TOS. But when it is for educational purposes like this, I don't care. I had that discussion with them once. They don't like to discuss it for fear that it will lead to downloading content for consumption but they are not going to object too hard for fear that the ability to download becomes even more well known. As you probably know, downloads don't come with the advertising.

But the only way to deconstruct something is to look at it frame by frame and YouTube does not offer that service. If they did, I would respect their TOS.

• 18. Re: Static Audio and Video Transition
                                            jasonvp Level 3

For what it's worth: I took your suggestions back and changed my workflow a little.  I keep the 50% opacity static in the clipboard, and keep video and audio Track #2 enabled.  The static is .10 seconds long, so I move the play head back .05 seconds from the end of the first clip, paste the static clip down, and then attach the second clip to the end of the first.

This has sped the process up quite a bit, and I can't thank you enough for it.  Simple ignorance on my part. :-)

I still want to know if that whole process can be simplified by turning it into a custom transition though.  I'm guessing the answer is "No", but I'm still curious...

Thanks!

• 19. Re: Static Audio and Video Transition
                                              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

It probably isn't a complicated thing to do for people who know how to make transitions. But it is something one does outside of Premiere Pro using some Adobe rules for how plug-ins work. Not something I know how to do, nor is it something I am personally interested in learning. Maybe the person I was in the 1980's would be interested. But not now.

If you asked over in the SDK Forum, I think some of those folks could do it, or tell you how to begin.