13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 2:41 AM by the_wine_snob

Rendering

brianblac

Hi,

Rendering in Elements 7 showed a colour change on the time line to green, In Elements 11. I click Render no change, I tap enter no change. could this be an automatic process in 11? RSVP, ASAP.

Cheers

Brian

• 1. Re: Rendering
          A.T. Romano Level 7

brianblac

The rendering of the Premiere Elements (any version) has always been associated with a color indicator system to indicate whether the program wants you to do the rendering to get the best possible preview of what you are seeing in the Edit Mode Monitor at playback of the Timeline content.

In version 11

no colored line and green line mean no rendering since you have the best possible preview....in fact, if you try to render that Timeline, all you will get is play back, not rendering, followed by playback.

orange line over the Timeline content is the program telling you that you do not have the best possible preview and that you need to render that Timeline content to get that best possible preview. (Note: in versions earlier than 11, Adobe used a red line instead of an orange one.)

But, keep in mind that once you get your green line and edit that content, the orange line will reappear with all the implications cited above.

The no colored line situation exists only when you first drag video to the Timeline and that video is in native format which agrees with the project preset. Once that video goes through the edit process, then only a orange - green indicator system applies to it.

Please review.

If you need clarification on anything that I have written and want more information of the Timeline Rendering, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Rendering
            brianblac Level 1

Thank you ATR but I am still left with the problem, the rendering process appears inactive. Now, why should that be?

Regards

Brian

• 3. Re: Rendering
              A.T. Romano Level 7

brianblac

In reflection, asking for your clarification after I just wrote the prior reply....

You wrote:

In Elements 11. I click Render no change, I tap enter no change. could this be an automatic process in 11?

Before you try to render that Timeline, what do you have over the Timeline content for your video

a. no colored line

b. orange line

c. green line

Pleae clarify what you mean by "...I tap enter no change..."

Do you mean that there is no change in the quality of what you are seeing even after rendering the Timeline?

or

Do you mean that you have no colored line or green line over the content and are not able to render the Timeline content?

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Rendering
                brianblac Level 1

Hi, yes indeed, I have clicked on screen RENDER but have no response. I have tapped ENTER on the keyboard but still there is no activity in the orange rendering line when I would have expected a green line to form as the rendering is in progress. What am I doing wrong? With the Elements 7 system which I have used for years I have never experienced this problem.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Brian

• 5. Re: Rendering
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

brianblac

I just saw your latest post after I had posted mine.

If you have no colored line over the Timeline content or a green line over the Timeline content, then we need to progress to more details of the project which include:

Properties of the source media (video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, aspect ratio, file extension, duration, etc)

Project preset that you or the program is setting in the new project dialog

Where do you have the scratch disks directed and how much free hard drive space is at that location, especially with regard to preview files (by default found Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/11.0)

ATR

• 6. Re: Rendering
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

brianblac

I suspect that our posts have gotten slightly out of sync.

Please excuse me for asking the following since you have used Premiere Elements 7, but I will ask just so that I do not take anything for granted.

What "orange" line are you looking at with regard to this rendering process

a. the one over the Timeline content

or

b. the one that runs horizontally across the middle of the video track content

Rendering.JPG

If we are OK on that detail, then on to the project itself as the troubleshooting target.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Rendering
                      brianblac Level 1

Hello again, I think I will have answered your questions but I will confirm that I do have an orange line OVER the Timeline. Free space in E-source 168  GB and in D-scratch 40 GB. There should be no problem with that.

Brian

• 8. Re: Rendering
                        brianblac Level 1

Hi ATR,

Since last we spoke I have been experimenting with Edit in QUICK and hay- presto! the rendering process comes into play. Now why didn't I think of that requirement? Can I take it this is the way render is applied?

Cheers

Brian

• 9. Re: Rendering
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Brian

Thanks for the follow ups.

How are we doing with other aspects of the troubleshooting, such as,

a. Does the problem persist if you start a new project with this particular file? Still pending is the information on the properties of this file.

b. With regard to Scratch Disks...where are they directed (especially VIdeo and Audio Previews)...are you saying D drive with 40 GB of free space remaining? That could be a problem.

Again if this is something that you are already aware of please excuse....if you have a SD project, when you render the Timeline content (photos or video), .avi files are generated and automatically stored to the hard drive location that you designate in preferences. If you have HD project, when you render the Timeline content (photos or video), .mpg files are generated and automatically stored to the hard drive location that you designate in preferences. These files pile up. These preview files can have very large file sizes.

ATR

• 10. Re: Rendering
                            brianblac Level 1

Hi again, Yes I am aware of the needs when filming in HD and in this instance have purposely shot this short movie in SD. However we have had a little cross chat, but hope you have understood my predicament!

Please explain why the project rendered in QUICK and not in EXPERT. These options were quite new to me. I like what I have understood of EL 11 and hope the learning curve will produce better quality video. With this bundle of tools I have great expectations.

Thanks for your continued help.

Regards

Brian

• 11. Re: Rendering
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Brian

Thanks for the continuing follow up.

Prior to your last post (number 10), I saw no mention of your Timeline rendering working at all in Premiere Elements 11. However, in post 10, you wrote

Please explain why the project rendered in QUICK and not in EXPERT

Did the Quick view rendering of the Timeline start working just now or did you just not mention that prior to post 10 for some reason? I consider that significant detail since it moves the troubleshooting focus from the Timeline/Filmstrip content for which I have asked information on.

I have not seen before this Quick vs Expert difference that you describe . Are you familiar with the "flushing the preferences" drill for trying to resolve Premiere Elements issues that defy resolution?

If your Premiere Elements 11 is on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit computer, you might want to delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. Make sure that you have Folder Options /Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the path.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

I do not believe that you have indicated what the computer operating system your Premiere Elements 11 is running on. So, I have been assuming Windows. If that is not the case, please let us know.

Then check out the Expert and Quick rendering of the Timeline/Filmstrip content when the Render button notification is suggesting the need for this type of rendering.

With your prior experience with Premiere Elements 7, there should be a smoother transition to 11 than this. Principles are the same though feature locations have changed. Render is render, 7 or 11.

In 7, you had Enter or Timeline Menu/Render Work Area

In 11, you  have Enter, Timeline Menu/Render Work Area, as well as this new Render button with its pop message.

In 7, the indicator system was no colored line for native format, red line, green line.

In 11, the indicator system is no colored line, red line, green line.

I will look into the matter further pending your next update.

ATR

• 12. Re: Rendering
                                brianblac Level 1

Hi ATR,

Sorry for the delay. I am pretty much tied up now for a couple of days but will consider your advice and get back to you with whatever results I have to share with you. Oh yes, I can advise that as soon as I switched to QUICK the rendering process became available. Re set with a new project as suggested but still in EXPERT no render was active.

Thanks for your considerable assistance. I will get my head around it eventually!!

Have a nice day!

Brian

• 13. Re: Rendering
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Brian,

Just to rule out this possibility, in Expert Mode, where is your WAB (Work Area Bar) set?

The WAB can limit Rendering, and also Export/Share in many formats. If set to just a small area of the Timeline, then everything outside of the WAB will not Render.

Good luck,

Hunt