14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2013 9:32 PM by JJMack

Image Resizing...

sivikram Level 1

Software & Version: Adobe Photoshop CC

Question: I have a bunch of images which need to be resized - all to 300x195 px at 300 dpi in .jpeg format

• All the images are of different sizes in their original form.
      • While resizing, there should be no distortion. The scaling needs to be in proportion.
      • While saving the resized, all the images should be saved using the same naming convention.

Here's how I am doing it...

1. New Blank document - 300x195px, 300dpi & RGB mode.

2. Drag all the images into the blank document, and middle-align each layer.

3. Resize each layer individually while holding Shift+Alt to do it proportionately.

4. Save each layer seperately as a .jpeg using the naming convention required.

What I want to know is pretty straightforward - Is there a simpler way of do this?

Any kind of help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Vikram

• 1. Re: Image Resizing...
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Might File > Automate > Fit Image be helpful to you?

Or File > Scripts > Image Processor?

While saving the resized, all the images should be saved using the same naming convention.

What do you mean?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Image Resizing...
            sivikram Level 1

Fit Image - No.

Image Processor - Satifies only some of my requirements.

Whta I meant by naming convention was -  Suppose I save three different images, then the file names would be, for example

<abc>_<1>.jpg

<abc>_<2>.jpg

<abc>_<3>.jpg

an so on..

The process I described earlier, in which pretty much everything is manual; What I am looking for is an option / a set of options where the process ia a bit more automated, therefore saving my time.

Thank You.

• 3. Re: Image Resizing...
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

I think you may want to look into Scripting.

• 4. Re: Image Resizing...
                sivikram Level 1

Scripting. My arch nemesis. I have no idea whatsoever.

• 5. Re: Image Resizing...
                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

If you want to work efficiently with large volumes of images in Photoshop I think Scripting is hard to avoid.

Edit: Well, at least with some automatable tasks it offes considerable benefits in my opinion.

• 6. Re: Image Resizing...
                    sivikram Level 1

Guess you are right. But thanks to you, I have found a solution for the file saving part in Image Processor.

• 7. Re: Image Resizing...
                      JJMack Most Valuable Participant

sivikram wrote:

Fit Image - No.

Image Processor - Satifies only some of my requirements.

Whta I meant by naming convention was -  Suppose I save three different images, then the file names would be, for example

<abc>_<1>.jpg

<abc>_<2>.jpg

<abc>_<3>.jpg

an so on..

The process I described earlier, in which pretty much everything is manual; What I am looking for is an option / a set of options where the process ia a bit more automated, therefore saving my time.

Thank You.

I think you may have missed some of the fine points...

Fit Image is a Photoshop Plug-in.  This means you can record its use in action.  When you  record the step that uses Fit image. The Fit Image Plug-in record the setting you used in that step into the actions step.  When the action is played no dialog will be displayed by the Fit Image Plug-in instead the document will be fitted to the setting recorded in the actions step.  This step can be followed with a Image size step where the step does not resample the document  just changes the documents resolution to 300DPI. That step can be followed by a save as jpeg step. So  any Photoshop supported image file format image  can be resized to fit within a pixel size area be set to 300dpi and saved as a jpeg image. This type of action is easy to batch using Photoshop automate batch feature.   Batch can override save as step has other options as well.  Including file naming option, output path options etc.  For me your: Fit Image - no statement does not ring true....

• 8. Re: Image Resizing...
                        sivikram Level 1

Thanks for the reply. You have raised some valid points there. But still I do not agree, Fit Image does not satisfy my image resizing criterion. What it does is fit the image into a given length & width area and it distorts the image, which leaves me with ugly & funny results.

FYI, the images I'm talking about are architectural renders from VRay. And distorted homes do not look so good. For me, it does not matter if I am losing a bit of the sky or the landscape while resizing, its only that the image should not be distorted.

• 9. Re: Image Resizing...

sivikram wrote:

Thanks for the reply. You have raised some valid points there. But still I do not agree, Fit Image does not satisfy my image resizing criterion. What it does is fit the image into a given length & width area and it distorts the image, which leaves me with ugly & funny results.

Fit Images does not distort the image Fix Image preserves the images aspect ratio so the resize does not distort.  It is like Image Size with constrain checked  where you set one side and Photoshop figures out the other.  Fit Image figures which side to use for the resize given the two values you pass it. The width or height for the current images aspect ratio to fit within the aspect ratio size you passed.

If Fit Image distorted images,  Image Processor and Image Processor Pro would not use Fit Image.  Who wants distorted image?

Any time you resample an image you will loose some image quality.  If you resize an image way down in pixel size you will be throwing away lots of the details you have for your image that is the nature of interpolation.

• 10. Re: Image Resizing...
                            sivikram Level 1

JJMack wrote:

If you resize an image way down in pixel size you will be throwing away lots of the details you have for your image that is the nature of interpolation.

True. But I am not facing this particular problem of losing details as resizing is being done only once and after that the quality of the image I am left with is acceptable.

JJMack wrote:

Any time you resample an image you will loose some image quality.

Do not agree. If the layer(s) are converted to smart objects then they loose their quality only once, which again, as I said above, is not my problem.

In short, I know what the process is, but it is a tedious one (my first post). I want it to be less time-taking as I do this job regularly.

P.S: Thank you for the time you are spending for having this wonderful conversation.

• 11. Re: Image Resizing...

sivikram wrote:

JJMack wrote:

Any time you resample an image you will loose some image quality.

Do not agree. If the layer(s) are converted to smart objects then they loose their quality only once, which again, as I said above, is not my problem.

It does not matter if you agree on not.  Yes when you create a smart Object layer pixels are rendered for the embedded  object.  When you transform the layer these pixels are interpolate like a raster layer.  If you reduce the pixel count you loose the same image quality your interpolating pixels.  Even if the embedded object contains vector graphic its rendered pixel are interpolated.  The only way to re-size using vector graphic is opening the embedded object and working with vector tools  to re-size the object. When you commit the changes Photoshop will update the embedded smart object and generate and new rendering for it.

I still think you can do what you want to do with a well crafted action that you batch

• 12. Re: Image Resizing...
                                sivikram Level 1

Agreed ( Even though it does not matter ).

Trying & playing with different options now. Hopefully I will get there sooner or later.

• 13. Re: Image Resizing...

Agree there alway more the one way to do most things in Photoshop...