1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 22, 2013 7:43 AM by JEShort01

Conflicting views for disk configuration? Does it make a difference in real life?

pde42 Level 1

Regarding disk allocation when 3 disks are available (which is a pretty common case for laptops), I have seen 2 apparently conflicting schools of thought:

Everyone seems to agree on:

C: OS/Programs

D: Cache/Scratch

E: Media/Exports

But for projects, some people tend to include them together with cache and scratch while someother prefer the media/exports disk.

Can anyone please elaborate on the pros / cons of each alternative? Also if only 1 SSD, C: is the obvious allocation, but if 2 SSDs, where would it be more useful: D: or E:?

• 1. Re: Conflicting views for disk configuration? Does it make a difference in real life?
          JEShort01 Level 4

I for one so "don't agree" with what you are stating everyone seems to agree on!

The best (fastest performing) setup for laptops depends on:

- what drives you already have or possibly plan to buy

- what type of project and workflow you have

- how each drive is connected (SATA 2, SATA 3, eSATA, USB 3.0, firewire, etc.)

- it depends subtlety on which version of Premiere you are using

For example, for really fast:

512GB Samsung Pro SSD - OS/programs/windows swap

512GB Samsung Pro SSD - projects/media/scratch

512GB Samsung Pro SSD - media cache/media cache db/exports

High bang for the buck:

128GB Samsung Pro SSD - OS/programs/windows swap

2x750GB Seagate Maximus XT (hybrid drives) RAID 0 - all other files

High-performance (but not price-is-no-object) and where 3rd drive is USB 3.0 connected:

128GB Samsung Pro SSD - OS/programs/windows swap

512GB Samsung Pro SSD - projects/media/scratch (needs to be backed up)

750GB Seagate Maximus XT - media cache/media cache db/exports

Things have changed and SSDs make a whole lot of sense for video editing on laptops today.

My suggestions are broad based on running PPBM5 and PPBM6 literally hundreds of times and experimenting with different drive configurations. I also assure you that one size does not fit all. If you already have drives, configure them and experiment. PPBM6 is simply excellent for anyone doing laptop editing for AVCHD or more complex projects to see how your system is comparing with others. And in the end there is no test better than benchmarking with your media, your projects, and doing what things you do often.

Regards,

Jim