2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2007 9:20 AM by vb17

Debugging in FlexBuilder for Linux

vb17
      Hi all,

I just installed FlexBuilder for Linux. I am trying to debug a FlexBuilder project but can't figure out how to do it.

When I try to debug the application, FlexBuilder displays the progress bar with the following message:
      "Waiting for Flash Player to connect to debugger."
      I see this message for a while and after the progress bar reaches 100%, I get the following message:
      Failed to connect, session timed out.
      Ensure that:
      1. You compiled your Flash application with debugging on.
      2. You are running the debug version of the Flash Player.

How do I compile the Flash application with debugging on in FlexBuilder? I am pretty sure I am running the debug version of the Flash Player. Anyone aware of how to do this?

Thanks in advance!
        • 1. Re: Debugging in FlexBuilder for Linux
          Level 7
          vb17 wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > I just installed FlexBuilder for Linux. I am trying to debug a FlexBuilder
          > project but can't figure out how to do it.
          >
          > When I try to debug the application, FlexBuilder displays the progress bar
          > with the following message:
          > "Waiting for Flash Player to connect to debugger."
          > I see this message for a while and after the progress bar reaches 100%, I get
          > the following message:
          > Failed to connect, session timed out.
          > Ensure that:
          > 1. You compiled your Flash application with debugging on.
          > 2. You are running the debug version of the Flash Player.
          >
          > How do I compile the Flash application with debugging on in FlexBuilder? I am
          > pretty sure I am running the debug version of the Flash Player. Anyone aware of
          > how to do this?
          >
          > Thanks in advance!
          >
          >
          >
          Hi,

What Linux OS flavor are you running?
          What browser/version are you using?
          Mozilla Firefox browser is supported for FB Linux. (Latest one will be
          great!)
          You can configure your browser in eclipse here:
          Window->Preferences->General->Web Browser-> Choose External Browser (if
          you want to point it to a newly installed Firefox)... Add your external
          browser, check it...

Verify when you are launching the debugger it tries to pick this browser...

Also, Let me know if you have installed the debug version of flash
          player which came with the installer (Install debug version of flash
          player checkbox checked while installing?)...
          Verify the flash player version in your browser by browsing to this URL:
          http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15507

Also verify if it is a debug version...

• 2. Re: Debugging in FlexBuilder for Linux
            vb17 Level 1
            Thanks so much for your response. After checking my flash plugin version on the link you provided, I found out that I did not have the debug version installed. After installing the debug version, I am able to debug now!

Also, when I installed the plugin as a normal user, the plugin was installed in my $HOME/.mozilla/plugins directory and FlexBuilder did not detect the debugger. I had to install it as root which installed the plugin in the installation directory: /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox.

In case you still need the info: I am running Ubuntu 7.04 and the default browser is set correctly to Mozilla Firefox.

Thanks for your help!