Since we launched the site redesign back in June, we've heard a lot of feedback from active Kuler members. And, we took your feedback to heart. Today, we're happy to be able to share several changes we've been working. Some of these changes are no-brainers and we're making them available to everyone. Others need a bit more refinement--so, we're looking for input from you. In this post, I'll explain what's changed and how you view/use the new features. Please reply to this post to share your feedback.
We have created a special link to give you access to new features (new feature link)--without this link you won't be able to see the new features. This link will allow you to use the site, same as before, but will also enable the new features that we're looking for feedback on. So, here's an overview of what's new:
(1) Create themes from an image: You can create themes from an image stored on your device. Here's how: from the the Create page (color wheel), you should see a camera icon above and to the right of the color wheel. Click the icon and you will be asked to select an image from the file picker. Select your image and start picking colors.
(2) Resizing the color wheel: You can resize the color wheel to make it small or keep it large. And, the site will remember your preference. Here's how: hover over the color wheel on the create page and your cursor will change to a magnifying glass with either a "+" or a "-" symbol. If you click the wheel you can make it smaller or larger. Large is good for selecting the right hue and small for viewing color interactions on your theme.
(3) Smaller borders (and the ability to remove the white "active" border): We've reduced the size of the borders so they don't get in the way. We've also made it possible to remove the "active" color selection when editing on the color wheel. Here's how: while viewing the color wheel, click on the dark grey portion of the page above, below or to each side of the color wheel. You can now see your theme without any "active" border.
(4) Easier to find color space data (e.g. RGB, CMYK, etc.): several people had some trouble finding all the color spaces (e.g. RGB, CMYK, LAB, HSB). So, we added a hover effect that will automatically expand the color space data when you mouse over it. If you prefer to work in a specific space and don't want it to keep expanding, you can stop the expanding feature by clicking on the white triangle. That will contract the menu and will make the last space you edited the default.
(5) Save changes dialogue: many of you mentioned the new site would not give you a choice to save a new theme or overwrite an existing theme after editing. That's now fixed.
(6) Tab order: a few people mentioned tabbing through color spaces was tedious. You asked us to allow you to tab through each color in a single space (e.g. RGB) before moving on to a different color space (e.g. CMYK). We've made this change.
(7) Instant saving: Saving a theme was taking a couple seconds--which was too long. We've updated the save feature to be much quicker.
That's it for now. We're working on a bunch of other features and we plan to share those on the forum in the coming weeks. We look forward to reading your feedback!