9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2006 11:22 AM by Newsgroup_User

External video files

tdriley Level 1
      Does anyone know if there is a way to actually embed the video files (any format) actually inside my projector? I want to stop the user from just browsing the disc and copying off the file! I know flash video can be stored inside the exe file but this seems to cause serious sync probs.

Hope someone can help

T
        • 1. Re: External video files
          Level 7
          Hi

AS a workaround you could use mpg files with the ".dat" extension.
          Since the regular user probally doesn�t know what a ".dat" file is, maybe
          you can avoid such "curiosity".
          Regards
          Wilson

"tripplesub" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> escreveu na mensagem
          news:eb9gus$ak5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Does anyone know if there is a way to actually embed the video files (any
          > format) actually inside my projector? I want to stop the user from just
          > browsing the disc and copying off the file! I know flash video can be
          > stored
          > inside the exe file but this seems to cause serious sync probs.
          >
          > Hope someone can help
          >
          > T
          >

• 2. Re: External video files
            tdriley Level 1
            Thanks, but that's not going to be secure enough... It doesn't need to be military-standard or anything, but browsing the disc and looking for the largest DAT file would be too easy.. Unless there was some way to split the video up into smaller DAT files and then play back with no jump when it changed file.. Hmmmmm
            • 3. Re: External video files
              Level 7
              You could always encrypt the files, and decrypt them only briefly into a
              temp folder when they are needed, then delete the unencrypted version
              when they are not needed. All of these things can be done with BuddyAPI.

http://www.mods.com.au/budapi

Also, there is the BinaryIO xtra from updatestage that will let you
              change a few bytes in the file, making it unreadable until runtime when
              you change them back.

http://www.updatestage.com/previous/981101.html#item2
              • 4. Re: External video files
                tdriley Level 1
                Great, thanks. binaryIO sounds interesting, i'll look into using that.

T
                • 5. Re: External video files
                  Level 7
                  I've used the full version of vList for this. I suck the binary data
                  into a cast member and write it out to the temp folder when needed,
                  deleting it when done. Thus the file is only available when playing, or
                  during a projector session (depending on implementation).
                  An alternative might be to use QuickTime and one of the codecs that
                  supports media keys. You can leave the files available and they can only
                  be viewed if the user has the key. Check the docs for qtRegisterAccessKey()
                  • 6. Re: External video files
                    SlickZ
                    Would hiding the folder that contains the movie files work? In Toast, if you double click a file, an option comes up to where you can hide the file, or folder. Same can be done in Windows by right clicking the file and selecting properties. Would this cause problems with the projector reading from the folder?

Chris
                    • 7. Re: External video files
                      Level 7
                      On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 19:58:31 GMT, SlickZ posted in
                      macromedia.director.basics:

> Would hiding the folder that contains the movie files work? In Toast, if
                      > you double click a file, an option comes up to where you can hide the
                      > file, or folder. Same can be done in Windows by right clicking the file
                      > and selecting properties. Would this cause problems with the projector
                      > reading from the folder?

No.

However it won't hide the files from users who set their system to show
                      hidden files. A simple toggle switch in Internet Explorer - I don't know
                      about Macs.

I'm using the Sorenson 3 QT CODEC with media keys for this purpose. Check the
                      archives for hints if you go this route, tripplesub.

--
                      Mark A. Boyd
                      Keep-On-Learnin' :)
                      • 8. Re: External video files
                        tdriley Level 1
                        I think Sorenson Media Keys is my best bet... Do you know which/the best authoring tools for implementing them?

T
                        • 9. Re: External video files
                          Level 7
                          On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 08:19:46 GMT, tripplesub posted in
                          macromedia.director.basics:

> I think Sorenson Media Keys is my best bet... Do you know which/the best
                          > authoring tools for implementing them?

I use several different programs to create and edit videos, the best known
                          being Adobe Premiere.

To compress the videos with Sorenson, I use Sorenson Squeeze Compression
                          Suite.

http://www.sorensonmedia.com

--
                          Mark A. Boyd
                          Keep-On-Learnin' :)