6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2013 11:15 AM by JJMack

Smart Objects - File size issues

FentonDesigns

Hey All,

The Question: Not sure if this question has been answered elsewhere. But when using a nested smart object (meaning a smart object within a smart object) Photoshop CS5 doesn't display the correct file size (at bottom left) or seem to account for the nested smart object file size.  Is there a "setting" I’m missing to accurately display what the true file size is?

The Problem: Using multiple nested smart objects that I have reduced the size of my image to be 260x200 for web export. Photoshop CS5 won't let me save a file that appears to be only 3mbs claiming it's over 2 gig's. See image below.

Really not sure what to do about this, the company I work for makes lots of changes so using smart objects is necessary for my work flow. But also seems to be slowing me down trying to figure out issues like this and is problematic when it comes to saving all the work I have been doing.

Thanks for the help

corrupted_files_03.jpg

• 1. Re: Smart Objects - File size issues
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

You can save files above 2GB in size as psb (Large Document Format).

• 2. Re: Smart Objects - File size issues
            FentonDesigns Level 1

Thanks that does help with one of my issues!

• 3. Re: Smart Objects - File size issues
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

But when using a nested smart object (meaning a smart object within a smart object) Photoshop CS5 doesn't display the correct file size (at bottom left) or seem to account for the nested smart object file size.

From the Reference:

Document Sizes Displays information on the amount of data in the image. The number on the left represents the printing size

of the image—approximately the size of the saved, flattened file in Adobe Photoshop format. The number on the right

indicates the file’s approximate size including layers and channels.

I have not tested your observation, but it seems possible that the approximation for the layered file might only factor in the instances and not the full Smart Objects.

In any case it is only an approximation, so getting hung up on it may not do much good.

• 4. Re: Smart Objects - File size issues
                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

FentonDesigns wrote:

when using a nested smart object (meaning a smart object within a smart object) Photoshop CS5 doesn't display the correct file size (at bottom left) or seem to account for the nested smart object file size.  Is there a "setting" I’m missing to accurately display what the true file size is?

One thing you might have missed is that Photoshop is not a file editor its a document editor.   The sizes Photoshop is displaying are related to how much ram it using for the documents data. How efficient ram is being used etc. File sizes vary all over the place sizes depend on the number of pixels in an image format support layers no layers compression?, transparency.   There is no way Photoshop could even guess at any file sizes.

An other is all smart object layer are not created the same and their sizes my be far different the you may think.  

Smart object layers have a basic format. There is an embedded object, there is a composite pixel rendering for embedded object that is used for the layer pixels and there is a transform associated for the layer rendered pixels.

Anything Photoshop supports can be an embedded object.  These objects are copies of the original object.  For example a copy of a RAW file where ACR settings are stored in the file copy metadata. An embedded object might be a copy of a PSD file that has thousands of layers. in any case Photoshop renders pixels for the embedded objects composite view and uses these rendered pixels as the smart object layers pixels.  These pixels can not be changed within the document.

However the embed object can be opened and worked on and changed. If the change is committed Photoshop will update the embedded object and render the updated object composit view and replace the layers pixels. 

Smart Object Layer Pixels can only be acted on in the document not changed with paint etc. For example the Transform associated with the smart object layer sizes and positions the layer rendering over the canvas. The layer actual size may be larger then, smaller then the canvas size and have a different aspect ratio then the canvas. Example if you place in an image that is larger then the document canvas size one of Adobe Photoshop's Preferences is set by default have Place resize large images to fit within current the documents canvas size. The transform associated with that placed layer would cause the rendering of the layers pixels to fit with in the canvas. 

Though an embedded  object may contain thousands of layers the actual object may be much smaller then you think for PSD files are compressed object may be compressed.  Also while the embedded object  may contain vector layers when a smart object layer is transformed the layer is transformed using interpolation like a raster layer for all that is being transformed is the pixels Photoshop rendered for the embedded smart object. The only way to work on the embedded smart object layers it to open the smart object and work on the object itself.j

• 5. Re: Smart Objects - File size issues
                  FentonDesigns Level 1

Thanks for taking to the time to respond with such clarity. It really helped, I've been using photoshop for years as a Concept Artist where a lot of these subjects didn't matter at the tme. Some of which you have wrote was never properly explained to me and makes a lot of sense looking back, so thankyou!

• 6. Re: Smart Objects - File size issues
                    JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Then how about marking my append as helpful....or better correct....