9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2013 1:23 PM by A.T. Romano

Computer can't handle hi-rez multi-track video

genesmachine Level 1

now that i am using Sony hi-def camcorders and capturing in 1920x1080/ 16/9 on two video tracks and GoPro on a third video track and then .wav audio to sync all this together, i am having trouble having the computer keep up with all of this. I have an intel i5 CPU 750@2.67GHz, 16gbs of RAM, a Nvidia GTX 550 Ti video card, and the OS and PreEl program on a SSD and two tracks of video on a 7200 RPM hard drive and the other video and audio on another 7200RPM hard drive yet the computer can't keep up.

Is anyone using that much media on their projects and is your computer keeping up? if so what specs do you have to make all this work?

• 1. Re: Computer can't handle hi-rez multi-track video
          A.T. Romano Level 7

genesmachine

I see no mention of what version of Premiere Elements you are using. What is it and what is your computer operating system, including 32 or 64 bit? I am assuming 64 bit since you show 16 GB of installed RAM. Please confirm and/or supply that information which is important to the analysis of the issue that you present.

Is your video 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 30 or 25 or other progressive or interlaced frames per second? What is your project preset?

Is your video card driver up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card?

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Computer can't handle hi-rez multi-track video
            genesmachine Level 1

i think i include all info needed but of course not! :-)

Windows 7 64bit

1920 x 1080 @ 30 fps

Video card driver up to date

project preset matches the video input

it just occured to me, can i edit in low-rez somehow and then output the project in hi-rez?

• 3. Re: Computer can't handle hi-rez multi-track video
              A.T. Romano Level 7

genesmachine

Thanks for the additional information.

Just three more.....

a. What version of Premiere Elements are you using?

I am pressing this question since I want to know if you are dealing with Premiere Elements as a 32 or 64 bit application. Versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 10, will be 32 bit applications running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit system, with all the resource limitations of 32 bit system.

b. Is your video interlaced or progressive

1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 30/29.97 interlaced frames per second

or

1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 30/29.97 progressive frames per second

and

stereo or 5.1 channel audio

That information will make a difference in the project preset that should be in place for the project.

c. We are going to need to talk specific about size of this project/ duration and other properties of those files on each of the tracks.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Computer can't handle hi-rez multi-track video
                genesmachine Level 1

PreEl10 ( hate 11)

interlaced or progressive?? good question. how do i find that out?

which makes me wonder if one camera is doing one the the the other camera doing the other.

my videos are usually pretty long like 2 hours or so as i shoot full length concert videos.

• 5. Re: Computer can't handle hi-rez multi-track video
                  genesmachine Level 1

1920x1080i 30fps on both Sony Cameras

GpPro is at 720 and 60fps

• 6. Re: Computer can't handle hi-rez multi-track video
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

genesmachine

That all sounds very good.

From what you have written you have Premiere Elements 10 as a 64 bit application running in a 64 bit system, taking advantage of the 64 bit resources. That typically gets those larger projects done more often than not as compared to Premiere Elements running as a 32 bit application in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system with all the limitations of 32 bit.

Nonetheless, considerations for free hard drive space and the setup/maintenance of the Scratch Disks are important. Keep after piles up of preview files and conformed audio and video files.

Where do you have the Scratch Disks directed and how much free hard drive space is at that location?

Do you optimize your computer on a regular basis..defragment, use regular and registry cleaners and such?

When your workflow slows down, just how much do you have on the tracks in terms of file duration, effects, transitions, and titles?

What is your typical intended export type?

From what you wrote, you appear to have a mixed Timeline. What are you setting for the project preset for:

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30

or

NTSC

AVCJD

AVCHD LITE 720p60

Are you selecting the first and then scaling up the 720p60 accordingly in the Edit Mode monitor

or

Are you selecting the second and then scaling down the Full HD108i30 accordingly in the Edit Mode monitor

Whatever the case, does it make a difference to your workflow performance one compared to the other?

Just some thoughts for now.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Computer can't handle hi-rez multi-track video
                      genesmachine Level 1

lots of room on each 1TB HD

defrag them often

intend to share as bluray

i dont know the rest of what you are asking...and dont know how to find out all that stuff either  :-)

cannot copy and paste your questions so i can answer each of them...

what is Edit mode monitor?

• 8. Re: Computer can't handle hi-rez multi-track video
                        genesmachine Level 1

Sent: Monday, July 22, 2013 3:27 PM

To: genesmachine

Subject: Computer can't handle hi-rez multi-track video

Re: Computer can't handle hi-rez multi-track video

created by A.T. Romano <http://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <http://forums.adobe.com/message/5528278#5528278

• 9. Re: Computer can't handle hi-rez multi-track video
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

genesmachine

When I refer to the Edit Mode Monitor, specific to Premiere Elements 10, it would be the monitor that you use when you are editing your video

Edit-Mode-Monitor.jpg

As for the places to look for pile ups of preview files and well as for conformed video and audio files.

Adobe Folder. The default location for that is Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/10.0. The Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder in that 10.0 Folder contains the preview files that can be many and that can have large file sizes. Consequences of deleting them is rendering again when and if necessary. Also in that 10.0 Folder is the Media Cache Folder which contains conformed audio files (cfa and pek sets). Consequences of deleting them, they will be regenerated when and if needed.

The conformed video files can be best taken care of by going to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and pressing the Clean button in the Media Cache Database location there. The actual path to those .mcdb files is shown in that area if you ever want to go to the actual location.

Also, if you have photos in these projects, avoid photo pixel dimensions oversized for the projects. The classical recommendation is to keep the photo pixel dimensions so that they do not exceed something like 2200 x 1238 pixels (16:9). If you have no problems and your computer resources allow, you can try to stretch these classical comments as far as you can go without compromising the workflow performance. However how the resolution, it will be reduced to the resolution standard of the export.

Please do not hesitate to ask for further clarification on anything that I have written.

But, I would like to know how much content is on your Timeline when you run into these situation where the performance starts to deteriorate. I am thinking in terms of video, audio, soundtrack, narration durations and total Timeline duration.

Thanks.

ATR