14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2013 10:47 AM by andy jxm

camera software compatibility with PE9?

andy jxm Level 1

Hi, because I don’t know the correct terminology I may be asking the wrong question.

I want to buy an HD camera/video-camera mainly for use on YouTube.

Budget around £350/£400, must have...  viewfinder, zoom while shooting, macro, low light capability and ideally batteries that last forever and of course it must work easily with my PE9 software.

One review I saw said (I think but I may have invented this)  that one camera’s data would need processing or converting before editing with Adobe Elements.

I think there was talk of different types of interlaced video?

So the question is will PE9 easily accept files from all cameras without any messing about?

And a second question is... what would you recommend to fill the specification?

Any help will be gratefully received

Kind Regards ... Andy

• 1. Re: camera software compatibility with PE9?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Andy,

First thing to do is to check out the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Import/Export Support Formats.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/supported-file-formats-premiere-elements.html

Also, head to the video specifications for the camera(s) that are in your price range that look like a match between your video needs/plans and everything else.

If your export goal is YouTube video, then also check out the YouTube video uploading requirements.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/57924?hl=en

especially the items in the left column of that page

"Supported YouTube Fle Formats"

and

"Upload Videos Longer Than 15 Minutes" (In spite of what you can do at YouTube web site upload there, you can upload no more than 15 minutes from YouTube from within Premiere Elements (11, latest version) via ....Online/YouTube.

Then we put that all of the above information together and see how we can make it fit into a plan that works for you.

Please review. If you have a specific camera in mind, we can follow that through this decision process as it relates to version 9.0/9.0.1.

There is no guarantee that any footage in any version of Premiere Elements will not "mess up" initially or from time to time. Enter troubleshooting.

ATR

• 2. Re: camera software compatibility with PE9?
            andy jxm Level 1

Hi thank you that’s got me started in the right direction.

I’ve made a couple of hundred videos for YouTube (mainly technical or Radio/electronics related stuff) using a Fuji finepix S7000  and a Kodak Zi8. The 15 minute limit has always been a bugbear but I guess it stops me getting too boring.

Thanks for your input, I wonder what it was about ‘interlaced video files’ I heard in a camera review?  Hopefully it’ll all start to come clear now.

Kind Regards ... Andy 

• 3. Re: camera software compatibility with PE9?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Andy

Thanks for the follow up. We will be watching for your progress.

The following online article is one of my favorites for getting hold of the interlaced and progressive video matter. Hope it helps.

http://www.neuron2.net/LVG/interlacing.html

ATR

• 4. Re: camera software compatibility with PE9?
                andy jxm Level 1

Hi there, the last time we communicated I was looking for help on choosing a camera and I know you offered additional help but in the end I chose to go with the Sony HDR-

CX320. I had a list of about 8 items including facility to use an external mic and zoom while shooting, macro etc, etc. I don’t need creative features like depth-of-field so the Sony gives me everything I wanted except the viewfinder option but I now realize that SLR cameras lose the use of the viewfinder when shooting video as the mirror is flipped up, obvious once I think about it but I didn’t think about it to start with.

It’s very hard to find a shop where they know all of the products in stock. Anyway I'm very happy with the Sony and I can use my old bridge camera to fill the gaps.

Thank you for the info on interlacing, very good.

Can you help me with a couple of questions on PE9?

Q1) If when I drag the first clip down to the time line and the system says ‘the Project settings don’t match the clip’ and it wants to change the project settings, if I say change the settings how can I then find out what the settings have been changed to??

Q2) If I have the timeline Audio strip expanded so that I can see the waveform, what is the significance between those sound track that have a solid black waveform as opposed to those that have a grey waveform ?? (I'm not referring here to the difference where clips are highlighted)

Kind Regards ... Andy

• 5. Re: camera software compatibility with PE9?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Andy

Thanks for the follow up and congratulations on your new camera.

Regarding

Q1) If when I drag the first clip down to the time line and the system says ‘the Project settings don’t match the clip’ and it wants to change the project settings, if I say change the settings how can I then find out what the settings have been changed to??

In your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1, go to Edit Menu/Project Settings and look at what it says for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Rate.

Also, what camera settings are you using for the footage from your Sony HDR-CX320? What is your audio, Stereo or 5.1 channel? Possibility exists that you are not setting the correct project preset or that Premiere Elements does not have a project preset to match the properties of your source media.

If you supply the above information, we can figure this out. I suspect that you are recording 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97 or 30 progressive frames per second with Dolby Digital 2 channel sound. If that is the case, then you should be setting for the NTSC DSLR 1080p DSLR 1080p30 or NTSC DSLR 1080p DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.27.

Q2) If I have the timeline Audio strip expanded so that I can see the waveform, what is the significance between those sound track that have a solid black waveform as opposed to those that have a grey waveform ?? (I'm not referring here to the difference where clips are highlighted)

Those tracks, video and audio, have different Track Display Styles. For audio you can toogle the speaker icon next to the Audio track, Narration track, and Soundtrack to either of two audio track display styles, one is just the straight line, the other is the waveform. They are just track display styles for the audio.

Please let us know if we targeted your questions.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: camera software compatibility with PE9?
                    andy jxm Level 1

Hi there thank you very much for the rapid reply. You got my first question right thank you but the second needs clarification and I’ve sneaked in another question now.

Ok on finding the project settings, I’d looked at the ‘Edit   mode’ screen before but didn’t think I was in the right place.

I think the reason for that is that it showed a smaller frame size than I was expecting, and that, I think, is because I recorded the clip in what the Sony HDR-320 calls High Quality (HQ) as opposed to Highest Quality (FX) mode.

When letting PE9 change the project settings to what PE9 it thinks is right PE9 shows (in the edit/settings) as HDV 1080i with a frame size of 1440 X 1080 I was expecting to see 1920 X 1080 I suppose that’s the difference between Sony’s HQ and FX settings?

New questions

Q1) When I upload the above edited video to YouTube I set the pre-set to ‘High Definition for YouTube –1920X1080’  should I be using the ‘High Definition for YouTube –1440X1080’ setting to match the editing mode?

Back on the sound issue, I asked why the sound for my video was sometimes show as solid black waveform as opposed to grey. It’s not the straight line that you suggested but please see the attached screen shot. The first clip is solid black then some grey and then the one that’s highlighted.

Q2) What’s the difference between the grey and solid black waveform tracks?

by the way all of the sound was recorded on the same camera. What I did was ‘got all the media’ and then I dragged the first clip into place on the time line, PE9 asked if I wanted to change the project settings, I said yes, then I block marked all the other clips and dragged them all down to the time line.

Thank you ever so much for your kind assistance

Kind Regards ... Andy.

• 7. Re: camera software compatibility with PE9?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

andy jxm

I checked out the Sony HDR-320 User Manual and, according to it, if you have the camera set at FX or FH you get 1920 x 1080. And, if you have the camera set at HQ or LP, you get 1440 x 1080 HD Anamorphic 16:9. Both of these will give you a display of 1920 x 1080. But, the 1440 x 1080 requires that 16:9 flag to stretch it to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding. If you are shooting 1440 x 1080 HD Anamorphic, the select a matching Premiere Elements 1440 x 1080 HD Anamorphic 16:9 project preset, but, when you go to export, use a 1920 x 1080 16:9. This way you do not have to depend on the player to recognize a 16:9 flag. No stretching with the 1920 x 1080 16:9. It is what it is.

New Questions and Replies

Q1) When I upload the above edited video to YouTube I set the pre-set to ‘High Definition for YouTube –1920X1080’  should I be using the ‘High Definition for YouTube –1440X1080’ setting to match the editing mode?

High Definition for YouTube - 1920 x 1080 should do the job. See my comment above.

Back on the sound issue, I asked why the sound for my video was sometimes show as solid black waveform as opposed to grey. It’s not the straight line that you suggested but please see the attached screen shot. The first clip is solid black then some grey and then the one that’s highlighted

.I did not see the screenshot. Could you try to send again, using jpg image and the Insert Image above the Reply area? If you are looking at a solid black line in the audio track display style for waveform, then I would ask "Do you have sound when you play back the Timeline content? If you separate the audio from video, double click the audio to bring up its Preview Window, what does the waveform look like in the Preview Window?

Q2) What’s the difference between the grey and solid black waveform tracks?

by the way all of the sound was recorded on the same camera. What I did was ‘got all the media’ and then I dragged the first clip into place on the time line, PE9 asked if I wanted to change the project settings, I said yes, then I block marked all the other clips and dragged them all down to the time line.

In the audio track display style with the one horizontal black line running across the audio clip, that is the volume "rubberband" which can be raised or lowered with the mouse cursor to change the audio volume. In the audio track display style with the waveform, the volume "rubberband" for volume adjust is the orange horizontal line running across the audio clip.

I will await the screenshot to get a better view of what you are viewing with regard to the grey and solid black waveform tracks.

As for dragging clips to the Timeline, it is the properties of the first video drag the Timeline track that the project looks at for a match between its project preset description and the properties of that specific video file.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: camera software compatibility with PE9?
                        andy jxm Level 1

Thank you for your help gain, much appreciated.

Back on the sound issue, I asked why the sound for my video was sometimes show as solid black waveform as opposed to grey. It’s not the straight line that you suggested but please see the attached screen shot. The first clip shows the sound waveform is solid black then the others are grey one clip is highlighted.

Q) What’s the difference between the grey and solid black waveform tracks?

Kind Regards ... Andy.

• 9. Re: camera software compatibility with PE9?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

It appears that the screen-cap did not attach.

You can use the little "camera" icon, on the toolbar of the Forum editing screen, to attach a JPEG, or PNG image, and embed it into your reply.

Adobe_Forum_Image.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: camera software compatibility with PE9?
                            andy jxm Level 1

I’ve tried it another way, as an attachment and as an insertion.  Can you see it now?

Original question ..................

Thank you for your help gain, much appreciated.

Back on the sound issue, I asked why the sound for my video was sometimes show as solid black waveform as opposed to grey. It’s not the straight line that you suggested but please see the attached screen shot. The first clip shows the sound waveform is solid black then the others are grey one clip is highlighted.

Q) What’s the difference between the grey and solid black waveform tracks?

Kind Regards ... Andy.

• 11. Re: camera software compatibility with PE9?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

Not sure what "other way" you are using, but not screen-cap is appearing. I would try that little camera icon, and only use a JPEG, or PNG Image.

Now, are you responding to the forum via e-mail, or an HTTP browser? The browser method is best, and provides the most options.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: camera software compatibility with PE9?
                                andy jxm Level 1

Hi Bill I'm responding to the email that was sent to me by A.TR.

I attached to image and I inserted it also

Kind Regards ... Andy.

• 13. Re: camera software compatibility with PE9?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Andy,

Thanks for trying to send the information. But no signs of the screenshot yet.

Can you get to a web browser to open to the Premiere Elements Forum and then post your reply and use the Insert Image (camera icon) to get your screenshot in the post?

ATR

• 14. Re: camera software compatibility with PE9?
                                    andy jxm Level 1

PE9 sound issue image.jpg

Hi guys, hope you can see it this time, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Original question

Q) what's the difference between the grey and solid black waveform tracks?

By the way all of the sound was recorded on the same camera.  What I did was 'got all the media' and then I dragged the first clip into place on the time line, PE9 asked if I wanted to change the project settings, I said yes, then I block marked all the other clips and dragged them all down to the time line.

Hope you can help.

Kind regards

Andy