14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2013 7:48 AM by cscooper2013

Feature Request:  Toggle focus between Source Monitor and Timeline - All agree, say Aye!

cscooper2013 Level 2

Premiere Pro CC now has "Toggle between Source Monitor and Program", but toggling between Source and Timeline would be of MUCH greater import to me.  I've submitted a feature request.

Currently I have set two keyboard shortcuts set up; one (F11) to focus on Source Monitor and another (F12) to move focus to Timeline.  It takes a couple extra neurons for my brain to ask "which window currently has focus" and then ask, "which keyboard shortcut, F11 or F12, do I need to press.  Then press it.  I've had my system set up this way for at least a year or more, but it's still a bit of a brain teaser, and therefor a workflow hang-up.  A single toggle would be IDEAL for quickly roughing out assembly edits!

If you agree, could you mirror this sentiment and submit a feature request, here:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

(Yes, Jim, there are other more pressing features.  But just because you don't need this feature, doesn't mean others won't).

• 1. Re: Feature Request:  Toggle focus between Source Monitor and Timeline - All agree, say Aye!
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I actually agree with this one.  Toggling between Source and Timeline makes more sense than between Source and Program.  I mean, you don't really do a whole lot in the Program Monitor, it's mainly there to show you what's in the Sequence, which is where you do all the work.

• 2. Re: Feature Request:  Toggle focus between Source Monitor and Timeline - All agree, say Aye!
            shooternz Level 6

You guys are in luck.

Preference:

'Set focus on Timeline when using Insert or Overlay Edits'

• 5. Re: Feature Request:  Toggle focus between Source Monitor and Timeline - All agree, say Aye!
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Not quite the same.

• 6. Re: Feature Request:  Toggle focus between Source Monitor and Timeline - All agree, say Aye!
                shooternz Level 6

Far too logical probably... and of course it would never work in this instance...

A single toggle would be IDEAL for quickly roughing out assembly edits!

I like it and its a great new option (keyword - "option")

• 7. Re: Feature Request:  Toggle focus between Source Monitor and Timeline - All agree, say Aye!
                  cscooper2013 Level 2

Shooternz, yeah.  I'm aware of that feature.  I have it turned off.  I can't even imagine when that would ever be useful to my workflow.  I do not want to be taken to the timeline every time I do an insert.  My rapid-fire assembly edit goes like this:

Double click a clip to load it into Source Monitor.

L (to play forward), I (set in point), O (set out point), "," to insert to timeline.  Again, L, I, O, ",", again and again and again.  Frequently, though definitely not on every insert, I drop down to the timeline (F12 [custom])where I use up and down keys to get to someplace else in the show to be ready for the next insert.  When my CTI is set, I jump back to the Source Monitor (F11 [custom]) to get the next in and out points.  There's no possible way Premiere can read my mind and know when I do and don't want to set focus on the timeline, and certainly not after every insert.

That said, different keyboard shortcuts, rather than a single toggle key, for the Source and Timeline confuses the brain just enough that it breaks up the flow.  The only time I use my mouse during an assembly edit is to navigate the bins in my project and load the next clip into the Source Monitor (and that's only because PPr has no option to use standard Windows Explorer keyboard shortcuts for navigating folders—which it should—here comes another feature request).

Premiere Pro CC has made this workflow even that much better with the ability to set shortcuts for targetting tracks.  I put interview bits on Track 1; visual/story progression clips on track 2.  I used to have to switch targetting with the mouse.  With CC I now have set 1 and 2 on my number pad (different from 1 and 2 at the top of the keyboard) set to target A/V tracks 1 and A/V tracks 2.  Totally great!  The last piece of the perfection puzzle would be a single settable toggle key for Source/Timeline.

And, of course, it would be an option.  All keyboard shortcuts are optional. 

• 8. Re: Feature Request:  Toggle focus between Source Monitor and Timeline - All agree, say Aye!
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

The only time I use my mouse

You know you can load up several clips at once, and use keyboard shortcuts to move between them in the Source Monitor.  Combine that with this feature request and you'll be flyin'.

• 9. Re: Feature Request:  Toggle focus between Source Monitor and Timeline - All agree, say Aye!
                      Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi cscooper,

cscooper2013 wrote:

I do not want to be taken to the timeline every time I do an insert.

Where do you want focus every time you do an insert then?

cscooper2013 wrote:

I can't even imagine when that would ever be useful to my workflow.  I do not want to be taken to the timeline every time I do an insert. 

I'm trying to understand why that would be bad in your workflow. If you have that Preference set up it seems to match your workflow well. Or there could be something I'm not picking up on.

cscooper2013 wrote:

Frequently, though definitely not on every insert, I drop down to the timeline (F12 [custom])where I use up and down keys to get to someplace else in the show to be ready for the next insert.

The Up and Down Arrow keys work in the Program monitor as well. You don't have to have the Timeline focused for those commands.

cscooper2013 wrote:

hen my CTI is set, I jump back to the Source Monitor (F11 [custom]) to get the next in and out points. 

Toggling back to the Source Monitor would also accomplish this.

cscooper2013 wrote:

That said, different keyboard shortcuts, rather than a single toggle key, for the Source and Timeline confuses the brain just enough that it breaks up the flow.

I like the option of both. I wrote a blog post about moving to different panels. I guess some of you saw my blog post:

http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2011/08/05/keyboard-shortcuts-selecting-and-toggling-p anels/

cscooper2013 wrote:

The only time I use my mouse during an assembly edit is to navigate the bins in my project and load the next clip into the Source Monitor (and that's only because PPr has no option to use standard Windows Explorer keyboard shortcuts for navigating folders—which it should—here comes another feature request).

Feature request form: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish
                      Note Jim's advice of loading all your clips into the Source Monitor at once, then using shortcuts to navigate from clip to clip.

cscooper2013 wrote:

The last piece of the perfection puzzle would be a single settable toggle key for Source/Timeline.

Again, why would you need this when the up/down arrow keys work when the Program monitor is enabled? The only reason I can see you wanting this is if you did a lot of repatching. In that case, I would just press Shift+3 when I wanted to change patching, but I'd be right back to Source/Record toggling after that.

I'm just trying to understand what is not working for you in the current state.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 10. Re: Feature Request:  Toggle focus between Source Monitor and Timeline - All agree, say Aye!
                        cscooper2013 Level 2
                        Where do you want focus every time you do an insert then?

Kevin, I'm not sure where I lost you or how I can say it any more clearly.  Let me try, though.

When I hit the "," key to do an Insert edit, I want focus to remain on my Source Monitor (as it does and always has), so I can get to marking the next clip right away.  And sometimes I'll move focus to the Timeline (not Program).  I don't know how others do their editing in the Program Monitor.  Focusing so much of my editing activity on the Timeline, perhaps I've been doing it wrong all these years. 

When roughing out a sequence, I load up a clip and start cruising (if my first clip is visual (not a talking head), I target tracks V2 and A2):  Play, In, Out, Insert.  Play, In, Out, Insert.  Play, In, Out, Insert.  Play, In, Out, Insert.  Play, In, Out, Insert.  Play, In, Out, Insert.  And just like that, I have populated my timeline with 6 clips.  I see that the next portion of the video contains a good bite I can use as narrative, so I target my V1 and A1 tracks (very grateful this is finally a keyboard shortcut).  I perform the next in, out, insert operation and move onto the next piece, but, what's this?  The next bit is actually a better take, so I "toggle" to my Program Monitor.  I use UP and DOWN arrows to navigate the timeline, use the new "d" command to select the "bad" take and hit delete on the keyboard... wait... delete... delete... oh, right, my focus is on the Program Monitor, where Delete doesn't do anything.  OK, I use my custom key (F12) to move focus to the timeline.  I hit delete.  The bad take is gone.  I move focus back to my Source monitor (F11), mark the good take and Insert.  A few minutes into this process my timeline is getting long.  I've come across a clip that really relates to a segment much earlier in the Sequence.  I toggle to the Program monitor and use the UP and DOWN arrows to navigate to the spot where the next clip should live, I hold the UP arrow as if it were a rewind button.  But since I can't see more than a few minutes of my Sequence, I'd better zoom out, so I hit the "-" (minus) key.  Nothing happens on the Timeline, but my Program monitor changes it's zoom level (not really something I ever mess with intentionally).  Oh, right.  My focus is on the useless Program Monitor—not on my Timeline. 

Again, why would you need this when the up/down arrow keys work when the Program monitor is enabled?

If I'm working with the Source Monitor and the Timeline, why wouldn't I want a key to toggle focus between Source and Timeline?  At this stage of the game, that is during the assembly stage, toggling to the Program Monitor is only slightly more useful than toggling to the Effect Controls panel(???). I guess my point is, if the Program Monitor does *almost* everything that the Timeline does, but the Timeline does more, then why isn't the more useful Timeline panel given a toggle key while the least useful panel (in my estimation) has a toggle key I'll never need.  The only time I can think of that I set focus to the Program Monitor is when I need to export a still frame (and even then, I'm not sure why Ctrl + Shift + E can't work without first giving Program focus).

I'm trying to understand why [Set focus on Timeline when using Insert or Overlay Edits] would be bad in your workflow.

Because it is entirely oposite my workflow.

If you have that Preference set up it seems to match your workflow well. Or there could be something I'm not picking up on.

Absolutely.    You and I obviously don't have the same workflow, since I can't imagine on what planet I would ever want to jump down to the Timeline after every single Insert command.  I guess maybe it's helpful when you're further along in the editing process and you just want to Insert a single shot somewhere in your otherwise fleshed-out program.  But I try to avoid changing preferences for each stage of the edit.  I can see how it's a useful option, perhaps for some, but I don't foresee ever using it.

loading all your clips into the Source Monitor at once, then using shortcuts to navigate from clip to clip

I'm not sure what shortcuts will navigate from clip to clip other than hitting the "focus on Source Monitor" shortcut several times (F11 in my case).  In fact, that reminds me of another case for a toggle key.  All too often, I hit the wrong key to "toggle".  For example, I'm already in the Source Monitor, but I hit F11 (focus on Source), when I should have hit F12 (focus on Timeline)(or vice versa).  My Source clip goes away and up comes a clip that's been previously loaded into Source Monitor.  After banging my head and gently cursing, I can either hit F11 several more times to get back to the clip I was working on before the focus interuptiont, or I can use my mouse to drop down all of the currently open clips, CLOSE ALL and then re-open the single clip I care about at the moment.  I usually do the latter.  With a toggle between Source and Timeline, this would not happen.  I could scroll through my clips (in Source) or scroll through my open Sequences (in Timeline) with the "focus" shortcut when that's necessary.  Or I can use the "toggle" shortcut when that is my intention.

I guess some of you saw my blog post

I haven't read it, yet.  But I will.  Does it address toggling between Source and Timeline with a single key?

There is always more that can be learned.  Perhaps my entire workflow could use an overhaul.  But it works well for me and it was pretty fast in CS6.   With a few new keyboard commands introduced in CC, it's even faster—almost perfect. 

In my view a customizeable keyboard shortcut to Toggle Source/Timeline would complete the feature set for creating quick assembly edits.

• 11. Re: Feature Request:  Toggle focus between Source Monitor and Timeline - All agree, say Aye!
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

if the Program Monitor does *almost* everything that the Timeline does, but the Timeline does more, then why isn't the more useful Timeline panel given a toggle key

It does seem pretty common sense.  We don't really do much of anything in the Program Monitor.  We do a whole lot in the Source Monitor and the Sequence.

• 12. Re: Feature Request:  Toggle focus between Source Monitor and Timeline - All agree, say Aye!
                            shooternz Level 6

For the toogle action that does make more sense I agree.

FWIW

I have F2, F3, F4 set to  Source , Program , Timeline respectively.

Labelled clearly.

Works fine when I am in need of such,

• 13. Re: Feature Request:  Toggle focus between Source Monitor and Timeline - All agree, say Aye!
                              JaysonM-Y Level 3

I still use the mouse way too much(slouches in chair and drags clip to timeline), but I was wondering about this feature earlier this year.

• 14. Re: Feature Request:  Toggle focus between Source Monitor and Timeline - All agree, say Aye!
                                cscooper2013 Level 2

JaysonM-Y wrote:

I still use the mouse way too much(slouches in chair and drags clip to timeline)...

LOL.  Precisely why I need this toggle feature.  There's no place for my mouse pad when editing from my La-Z-Boy recliner!