7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 2:28 AM by the_wine_snob

Sharing Projects in APE11

admbaerjo

This has to be the first video editing software I've used that uses absolute paths when moving files around.  Exporting is a terrble function, especially if the raw data hasn't changed, only the project file.

Is there an option for relative paths?

Simple script only updates changed items from local disk to an external hard drive.  Frustrating that it requires editing the project files in a text editor to update the paths.

@echo off
      REM =========================================
      REM   Project Copy Script
      REM =========================================
      SET src="C:\Project Files"
      SET log="%cd%\usb_robocopy-log-file.log"
      SET dest="%CD%\Project Files"

robocopy %src% %dest% /E /Z /FFT /MIR /R:1 /LOG:%log% /TEE

• 1. Re: Sharing Projects in APE11
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is a user to user help forum, not Adobe support... as far as I know, no Adobe employee posts here

Also as far as I know, there is no "relative path" setting in the program

If you want Adobe to change how the program works, request at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Also, one idea on how to manage your projects - Bill Hunt on project setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/919388?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Sharing Projects in APE11
            admbaerjo Level 1

Thanks for the info.  I was looking to see if someone knew of a better method.

Unfortunately, archiving projects changes the file structure and the project file still points to the original absolute paths.  (makes it a mess actually)

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Sharing Projects in APE11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

admbaerjo

I am not sure what you mean by relative paths. Are you pointing to the fact that you cannot move the source media that went into a project after the project has been saved closed? If so, that has always been the case. To avoid hitting head on missing media messages in this type of scenario, you might want to explore the program's Project Archiver.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7d cb.html

If I have misinterpreted your intent, then please excuse and disregard.

Not sure of your rationale behind

Exporting is a terrble function, especially if the raw data hasn't changed, only the project file.

Why would you want to do what sounds like destructive rather than non destructive video editing...originals saved to have drive, copies of media in project for use in editing with export. Again, if I have misinterpreted your intent, then please excuse and disregard.

I second John T. Smith comments in that it would appear that you need Adobe direct support for your "relative paths" matter. Scripting for its operations and wish list alterations for its existing scripts is something for Adobe.

The following link might prove an excellent entry into Adobe Premiere Elements Help and the opportunity to discuss the matter with Adobe Chat or its referrals.

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements

Also, please refer the Adobe Feature Request/ Bug Form

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

(I think that John T. Smith has already posted that link for you)

ATR

• 4. Re: Sharing Projects in APE11
                admbaerjo Level 1

I guess the example would be: I want to edit on my laptop but render on an desktop with Xeon processors.  Using an external hard drive with the desktop, copied from the laptop using the script I have listed above.

I suppose I will have to just use the external hard drive.  The problem being that I will still have issues as when even using an external hard drive it is possible for the drive letter to change.

Archive (Export I called above) changes the paths of the files and totally recopies everything.  Very cumbersome.

Thanks for the info.

• 5. Re: Sharing Projects in APE11
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>using an external hard drive it is possible for the drive letter to change

I have never done it (search http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US for help) but there is a way (Control Panel ??? search at Microsoft) to LOCK the letter of an external drive... do that on both computers, and you should be able to move a drive with no problem

But... Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro are really not designed for sharing (my opinion, from reading a LOT of messages) since for whatever reason, they seem to be designed for a single person working on a project, and files that never change locations

• 6. Re: Sharing Projects in APE11
                    nealeh Level 5

John T Smith wrote:

but there is a way ... to LOCK the letter of an external drive

• At the Windows run menu ([Win]+[R]) enter "diskmgmt.msc".
                    • Right-click the appropriate drive
                    • Select "Change drive letter and paths"

1.jpg

You can also get at it by right-clicking 'Computer' on the Start Menu and selecting 'Manage'.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 7. Re: Sharing Projects in APE11
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I do just what you are outlining, by starting many Projects on my laptop, to be finished on my workstation. I use FW-800 (eSATA or USB 3.0 would be even faster) externals, to accomplish this task.

The first thing that I do is to set the drive letter of each external to a unique designation in the OS of each computer. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5500030#5500030

By setting the drive letter for each external, in the OS of every computer, where the Project will be used, the Path to the media files WILL be absolute, and no more "Where is file ____ ?"

Good luck,

Hunt