10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2013 11:33 AM by Rick Gerard

AE Text Requirements

Bushy162 Level 1

Currently working on a PowerPoint styled animation.

I've parented the source text of 5 text layers to 1 text layer so I can easily alter the text. It is essential that I have 5 identically texted layers.

My requirement isn't much: To assign colours to individual words without having to seperate those words into different layers.

• 1. Re: AE Text Requirements
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

And your problem is???

• 2. Re: AE Text Requirements
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

individual words without having to seperate those words into different layers.

That's what text animators are for. Set their mode to whole words and be done with it.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: AE Text Requirements
              Bushy162 Level 1

Is whole words an option in the Animate menu? All I've got is this:

Screen shot 2013-07-23 at 10.41.24.png

• 4. Re: AE Text Requirements
                Bushy162 Level 1

Rick my problem is AE's lack of meeting my requirements.

• 5. Re: AE Text Requirements
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Apply an animator, check the Advanced/ Mode section.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: AE Text Requirements

Rick my problem is AE's lack of meeting my requirements.

I still don't understand your question. What are your requirements. In your original post you said you "parented the source text of 5 text layers to 1 text layer so I can easily alter the text. It is essential that I have 5 identically texted layers." I thought that is what you wanted to do so here's the solution:

Parenting layers mean that they move together. If you want the same text in each layer you tie the Source text of the layers to each other using an expression and you set the color of each individual words. This expression allows you to easily change the text of five layers. You can also animate the source text so that it changes over time and it moves:

Screen Shot 2013-07-23 at 4.26.08 AM.png

But then you said you didn't want separate words into separate layers but have different colors for each word. That's even an easier problem to solve. Just highlight the text in a single word and set the color for that word:

Screen Shot 2013-07-23 at 4.38.57 AM.png

This works exactly the same way it works in Word, Power Point, Photoshop, Illustrator or any other app I've ever used that lets you set the color of text. The solution is so basic that I was now really confused.

Mylenium thought that you wanted to animate the fill color of words, but your reply to him tells me that you don't understand text animators. I never thought that was what you wanted to do, but if you want to set an animator to animate the a change in color of each word it is more problematic but possible if you have already set different fill colors for each word.  Setting the range for an animator is done using the Advanced properties under the Range Selector. This is basic text animator stuff. This comp changes the hue of every word every time the range selector moves to the next whole value because the index is set to word.

Screen Shot 2013-07-23 at 4.46.12 AM.png

I still say "And your problem is???" is because I don't have any idea what your are trying to accomplish.

Please explain further. I hope these explanations pointed you somewhat in the right direction.

Here's the project saved as CS6.

• 7. Re: AE Text Requirements
                      Bushy162 Level 1

Each layer having a different colour = false.

Each layer having a the same colour = correct.

Obviously I want control my text from the "Master Layer", as you've done.

All good so far. OK:

Now the tricky bit is getting the 5 layers to follow the colours of the "Master Layer".

TxtLayer1"The cat sat on the mat"

TxtLayer2"The cat sat on the mat"

TxtLayer3"The cat sat on the mat"

TxtLayer4"The cat sat on the mat"

TxtLayer5"The cat sat on the mat"

MasterLayer: "The cat sat on the mat"

• 8. Re: AE Text Requirements

Multiple animators set for each word in the line and an expression to link the source text:

multipleText.jpeg

Here's a CS6 project file.

See how easy that is when we know what you want.

• 9. Re: AE Text Requirements
                          Bushy162 Level 1

I hadn't realised you have to apply those same animators to all 5 layers rather than just the Master Layer.

Oh well.

Thanks for you help.

• 10. Re: AE Text Requirements

If you are doing this more than once I'd select all of the properties revealed in a slave layer when you press the U key twice and save them as an animation presset. I've got more than 200 ones to help me with my work. They are a real time saver.