13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2017 4:00 PM by BrendaTharp

Photoshop CC Brush Size indicator not correct

O2V SA Level 1

When you select a certain size brush say 150 pixels and you paint it only paints a size of about 120 pixels. What adjustments are there so you paint exactly the same size as the bruch indicator. I am running Photoshop CC on  Mac OSX 10.6.8

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC Brush Size indicator not correct
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Have you tried the options in Preferences > cursors? 

• 2. Re: Photoshop CC Brush Size indicator not correct
            Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

It might be a case of the brush be soft (the brush hardness is not 100%)

You might also try setting the Painting Cursor to Normal Brush Tip in the Photoshop>Preferences>Cursors

Another cause can be having your system cursor size set to something other than Normal.

1. Open System Preferences by clicking on the Apple icon in the top right of the screen and selecting System Preferences.
            2. Click on Universal Access followed by Mouse or Mouse & Trackpad.
            3. Look for the slider bar labeled Cursor Size.
            • 3. Re: Photoshop CC Brush Size indicator not correct
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I guess the OP might also be using a tablet with pen pressure controlling brush size.

• 4. Re: Photoshop CC Brush Size indicator not correct
                seemsfamiliar Level 1

R_Kelly wrote:

Another cause can be having your system cursor size set to something other than Normal.

1. Open System Preferences by clicking on the Apple icon in the top right of the screen and selecting System Preferences.
                2. Click on Universal Access followed by Mouse or Mouse & Trackpad.
                3. Look for the slider bar labeled Cursor Size.

THIS!!  THANK YOU THANK YOU!! OMG I was banging my head on my desk frustrated beyond belief when I found your post. I had reset the preferences for Photoshop and checked every variation of brush tips, turned off as many tablet options as I could find (I love my tablet but am not bringing my own to work thanks).  I was just about to give up working on this project before I got an aneurism when I found this.  It's System Preferences/Accessibility/Display that has the Cursor Size option in OS X 10.9.3 fyi.  It did not occur to me to check that in the least especially since it was only enlarged one mark.  How very wonderful that my brush and eraser tools now work again!

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Photoshop CC Brush Size indicator not correct
                  jeffrey.adik

SYSTEM CURSOR SIZE???!!!?!

Yes... this is, in fact the root cause of the problem... A problem I've been looking for a solution for, for a long, long time.  The reason this has become an issue, is the ultra-high resolution Retina display on my MacBook Pro Retina...

ADOBE: Please figure out how to manage the BRUSH TIP SIZE separately from the MOUSE CURSOR SIZE!!! There is no excuse for this hidden issue to have lurked latently for so long.

R_Kelly... thank you for your answer & assistance!

• 6. Re: Photoshop CC Brush Size indicator not correct
                    pedrobingham82

Yes!!! This needs to be shouted from the rooftops!!!

• 7. Re: Photoshop CC Brush Size indicator not correct
                      imythyou

This was driving me crazy for weeks! Thanks for that "System Preferences/Accessibility/Display" lead...

• 8. Re: Photoshop CC Brush Size indicator not correct
                        gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not having this problem, but I'll make note of it. I noticed the cursor size slider was moved to Display in Yosemite.

Gene

• 9. Re: Photoshop CC Brush Size indicator not correct
                          TLCdesign

Thank you so much for this response!  Long ago I had increased my cursor size in an attempt to see the bar cursor more easily in Word, never suspecting that it would effect my brush size in PhotoShop. It also occurred about the same time I upgraded to CS6, so I never put two and two together.  I had gone through the same process you described, trouble shooting with no success. I have been looking for a solution for a long, long time.  What a production nightmare it has been.   Thank you to R_Kelly and to you, again for the clarification and your post.

• 10. Re: Photoshop CC Brush Size indicator not correct
                            Teresa Weber-Freeman

Thank you so much!! This solved my problem -- The cursor issue was driving me crazy. When I Googled it there were so many professionals who just gave up and went back to CS6. How sad that we are paying for something that Adobe could not answer and apparently, is not willing to address...

Also, there is no reason that we should not be able to have an enlarged cursor size and still have the brushes work correctly. A little programming at ADOBE and this thing could be fixed. I wasted over a day trying to figure it out. VERY SAD, very poor change.

*Adobe, please note that many people here in the U.S. use Macs for professional artwork. Is it possible that ADOBE India uses PC's for programming and could not replicate this problem?? Please ADOBE, please fix this weird quirk so I can once again use a cursor that I can actually SEE.

smh.

• 11. Re: Photoshop CC Brush Size indicator not correct
                              macba00 Level 1

and what about if i have the same problem in photoshop c6 on windows 8. can be fixed also on window 8? i have a cintiq companion 2 running window 8 and i have the same problem. can anybody help me please??? i'm going crazy

• 12. Re: Photoshop CC Brush Size indicator not correct
                                macba00 Level 1

and what about if i have the same problem in photoshop c6 on windows 8. can be fixed also on window 8? i have a cintiq companion 2 running window 8 and i have the same problem. can anybody help me please??? i'm going crazy

• 13. Re: Photoshop CC Brush Size indicator not correct
                                  BrendaTharp

I am so thrilled that I found this thread after a search on Google about this issue. I'm not kidding it's been bugging me for about 2 years, and I have 'dealt' with it by redoing the brush until it was right. I had created a signature brush for watermarking my pictures, and while I got pretty good at guestimating how big the brush needed to be for the image, it was still trial and redo. And guess what?! My cursor was set larger than 'normal'. who knew? I think I may have changed that, but so long ago I don't recall now.  Yet I would agree that it should not be linked to the system cursor size, somehow I would think they could separate the two.

In any case I am one happy camper today! Whooppeee!