8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2014 2:25 PM by LeonardoAgosti

Italian Months in text variables output dates

ssALOIAS Level 1

So, I have an interesting question, I hope:

I am writing an Italian letter that has a text variable. This text variable automatically updates the month in Italian. This is awesome and a great feature however...

the months are capitalized, while the Italian custom is the months aren't to be capitalized in this date format.

Any idea as to how I can update this easily?

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Italian Months in text variables output dates
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Type>Text Variables>Define

Select the variable you insert and edit it.

There should be an option to change the Case in there.

• 2. Re: Italian Months in text variables output dates
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Depends how you have defined the variable.

You can define date and time as modification (when the document was last time modified) or as output (when you print or export as any other file type).

When you choose modification the date is changed upon priniting or exporting. The print or file output has the new date automaticaly.

• 3. Re: Italian Months in text variables output dates
              Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Eugene,

The "should" be an option to set the case, but the only options for months (and days of the week) are long and short.

The setting for month (long) is MMMM, but mmmm does not give the lowercase version. And I've played with almost every key and can't find any that provide a lowercase version.

Also, spell check for Italian doesn't change the variable or regular text. And Find/Change won't change the variable.

The only way I can see to change the case is to convert the variable to text and then use Find/Change to fix it.

I wish I knew where InDesign stores the information that it uses to obtain the Italian (and French, and German, etc) months and days of the week.

[Edit] I was skeptical of this grammar rule, so I checked it out: http://italian.about.com/od/grammar/a/italian-capitalization.htm

It's true. I'm surprised that the Italian language dictionary that InDesign uses isn't lowercase.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Italian Months in text variables output dates
                ssALOIAS Level 1

Dear Sandee,

Thank you for your advice.

I am certain there "must" be a way to resolve this.

I did try "everything" and "for days" to get this to work so the perfunctory initial two replies definitely don't suffice.

Unfortunately find/change will not work do to the fact that I am doing this monthly and exporting directly to PDF.

I am wondering if there anyone/anywhere else I can go to that may be able to resolve this...

Thanks again for your assistance and actually taking the time to help me resolve this exasperating issue.

Best,

Simon

• 5. Re: Italian Months in text variables output dates
                  peter minneapolis Level 4

ssALOIAS wrote:

So, I have an interesting question, I hope:

I am writing an Italian letter that has a text variable. This text variable automatically updates the month in Italian. This is awesome and a great feature however...

the months are capitalized, while the Italian custom is the months aren't to be capitalized in this date format.

Any idea as to how I can update this easily?

Thanks for your help.

If you have many letters to send, it might be worthwhile to look into ID's Data Merge feature. It reads information from a data source file, and inserts it where you specify in an InDesign document. So, you could create a spreadsheet with the correct date information, and any variable information such as each recipient's name, address, etc., then export the spreadsheet as a comma-separated text file, and use that file for the source of an InDesign data-merge operation to create many personalized documents, which can then be exported from ID to PDF.

In the spreadsheet, you'd create data columns ("fields") for first-name, middle-initial, last-name, etc, and month, day, year. The spreadsheet application may be able to capture the correct date information including the correct case for Italian, but if not, it's easy in a spreadsheet to copy information from one or more cells in a row to many cells below that row, or even to create a formula that computes the correct information from whatever information the application is able to capture.

If you're not familiar with Data Merge, search Google for "InDesign data merge tutorial," without quotes.  Although it's not an InDesign feature, if you need information on computing values in a spreadsheet, search Google  for "computing spreadsheet formulas," and "exporting comma separated text from spreadsheets," without quotes.

The inability to specify the correct grammatical capitalization (or non-capitalization) is probably an InDesign bug. You can file a formal request that this be fixed in some future release here: Wishform Many features and bug fixes have come from users' requests. The problem may also arise from the dictionary provider, in not recognizing the month names, with the Italian language property, in initial capitals as a spelling error. You could suggest in your bug report that this be pursued with the dictionary provider.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 6. Re: Italian Months in text variables output dates
                    Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

OK, here's the best I can think of.

Do everything you've been doing and get the month in the variable. Save your work.

Now, before you export to PDF, do a Save As, and call it "[name of file]_converted].

Now, go to Text Variables> Define and choose your text variable. Now click the Convert to Text button. Your variables are now actual text.

Do a Find/Change to change the capital month to lowercase. i.e. Find Luglio and change to luglio. (Make sure the case sensitive button is checked.)

Now export to PDF.

Toss the _converted file if you want. And next time open/work on the one with the variables still active.

• 7. Re: Italian Months in text variables output dates
                      David Crowe Level 2

Funny. I have InDesign CS6 in French, and the Italian months are lower-case. Like the French ones.

Which is what drew me to this thread in the first place. I have the opposite problem, in that I want the months (in French) to start with a capital for use in a running header (Août 2013). GREP looked like being a good solution, but it seems that the variable is treated as a single character, so if I apply a character style to capitalise the first letter, it applies to the whole word.

I’d like a solution that doesn’t rely on post-editing search-and-replace, since I am not the only person editing these files, and it’s easy to forget. Any suggestions welcome.

• 8. Re: Italian Months in text variables output dates
                        LeonardoAgosti Level 1

Italian variables never been capitalized, for what I remember, in any version of InDesign.probably had

You probably had a Style applied, or pressed the button "all capital", it happened to me as well once, as I think happened to anybody...

You can't change how variables looks, with nested styles and so on, but you can change capitalization, and seen the month is the only words you got, you don't see any changes on numbers.