23 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2013 12:36 PM by rooflyer7

How do you export m2ts from Premiere Pro CC & AME CC?

rooflyer7 Level 1

First some info:

I use a high end PC with all the speed and ram etc running win 7 ultimate 64. Everything works great and in Sony Vegas Pro I have NO PROBLEMS to export AVCHD m2ts files as a final to then "take back to the HD Sony camera".

I wish to do the same from either Final Effects or Prem Pro or AME.

So before people start telling me all sorts of garbage that is not relavent let me explain that I have read almost every darn thread on this that I could find. No suitable answer.

What I expect from a high end program like Adobe PREMPRO AFX and AME is that there is a "EXPORT PRESET" that allows me to export to the m2ts file format. WHY IS IT NOT AVAILABLE? WHy is the SONY camera section in AME NOT THERE?

WHAT are you people at Adobe doing about this simple and yet very annoying aspect?

I mean seriously people what century are you living in?

If indeed this is not possible or you just do not wannt to implement this for us SONY users then that is fine but then state it clearly for all to see and do not hide your guilt.

Also: If there is a pipeline or workflow for exporting a suitably high quality file which then can be turned into a m2ts file then tell us what it is and exactly. What format, what resolution etc etc and what bitrates etc etc. Try to be professional about it and not half baked.

Finally, this is not aimed at users but at YOU - the Adobe people. If however a user out there has a PROPER answer that they have actually used and proved then please post it. The last thing I need is "you could try this or that" or some such lame answer.

If my tone is somewhat agressive then with good reason. It is just amazing how pathetic Adobe has become over the years witth its products support and implementation. If it was not for the fact that there is no real alternative to After FX for some of the extra stuff I do I would dump Adobe Products permanently. Vegas Pro is so much more useful and rounded than PremPro but it can not do the same stuff as AFX especially with some of the latest plugins etc.  I also use other editing sofware but they do not have a role in this discussion. SO ADOBE - what is the answer and do not lecture me on my attitude either. Get professional and answer the QUESTION and ONLY THE QUESTION!!!!

• 1. Re: How to export m2ts from PremPro and AME in CC latest versions?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

WHy is the SONY camera section in AME NOT THERE?

My guess would be because people generally don't export back to a camera.  Most deliverables are disk, web or 'computer' oriented, with tape becoming a diminishing format and camera playback being fairly non-existent in professional circles.

You've got a very unusual work flow.

• 2. Re: How to export m2ts from PremPro and AME in CC latest versions?
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is a way to get m2ts files.

Make an BD folder in Encore and rip the file from the Stream directory.

File a feature request, but I do not think this will ever get implemented.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Why on earth do you want to write a file back to the camera.

I can understand tape camera's for backup but a solid state camera?

• 3. Re: How to export m2ts from PremPro and AME in CC latest versions?
              rooflyer7 Level 1

Thanx Jim and Ann,

@Jim    -----     Your comment is correct. I use the solid state camera to display finished stuff to clients (HDMI on their large TV screens. Very impressive way to show stuff to people who hate to see stuff on computers and other small format stuff) on a quick turn around in as close to original as I can get using Vegas Pro 12. I can get very nice quality from any animations for example too.

This is a very quick and easy transportable system for me without going thru DVD burns etc etc. I also do DVD etc stuff of course for other work. Also I have a remote for the camera which makes a presentation ever so easy.

I get your point about camera support but it is still strange because adobe does support other camera natives.

@Ann -----   I hope the above explains my reasons for you and thanx both for your input.

At least I have a totally positive workflow with SOny native products. The small amount of noise and degradation I get from trabsferring stuff to the end game Vegas edit suite is acceptable under most circumstances for this particular purpose but I would have though that Adobe would have taken the initiative not to lag behind one of their competitors. If Sony can do it then surely the great Adobe megalith can too. It is all about getting what is need to the enduser and sometimes I reqlly get the impression that Adobe is just too big for its boots. Lets see if anybody else has even better input. Have a good one ppl.

• 4. Re: How to export m2ts from PremPro and AME in CC latest versions?
                digitlman Level 1

wow, what a crazy wierd long elaborate post for something so simple? simply click export, choose h264bluray and click the multiplexer tab and check TS. it defaults to ".m2t" extension, but simply add the "s" to the end and you have your m2ts file.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How to export m2ts from PremPro and AME in CC latest versions?
                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi rooflyer7,

rooflyer7 wrote:

WHAT are you people at Adobe doing...

Finally, this is not aimed at users but at YOU - the Adobe people...

If my tone is somewhat agressive then with good reason...

It is just amazing how pathetic Adobe has become over the years...

SO ADOBE - what is the answer and do not lecture me on my attitude either...

Get professional and answer the QUESTION and ONLY THE QUESTION...

This is a user to user forum. Only a few Adobe employees are posting here trying to help out. You may want to review the policies and etiquette section of our community guidelines here.

It appears that digitlman has a good solution for you. If it works, would you mind marking his post as correct? Other users looking for a solution might be helped by this post.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 6. Re: How to export m2ts from PremPro and AME in CC latest versions?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

adobe does support other camera natives.

Only P2, and that's still more for continued post work than a deliverable.

I'd recommend picking up a tablet with an HDMI output.  Then you can play out most any file to the HDTV, and it's even more portable and convenient than carrying around the camera.

• 7. Re: How to export m2ts from PremPro and AME in CC latest versions?
                      Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

Just to add to digitlman's fine counsel, once you've configured your export settings just right, you can save a custom preset. It will show up at the top of the Presets pulldown in the Export Settings dialog and in the User Presets & Groups section at the top of AME's wonderful Preset Browser. You can even export your presets on the system where you create it and import it elsewhere--or even post it here for the benefit of others who happen upon the little ray of sunshine that is this thread.

As for why AME does not have a ready-made preset that fills your bill, all I can say is that in the two years I worked on AME, I did not hear a single request for this.

Have a wonderful day and keep smiling!

• 8. Re: How do you export m2ts from Premiere Pro CC & AME CC?
                        rooflyer7 Level 1

Well, that is all really great response stuff.

Let me be more individually respectful:

@Digitman

Now there you go. Some seriously straight forward answer that will be thoroughly tested later today and if it works which I think it will then you SIR are the answer to my question. Obviously I will let you know and obviously there is a big THANK YOU attached.

In regards to my weird long elaborate post. After having searched dozens of other threads on many different sites I decided to use this forum and treid very hard to be specific so that we would not get a long list of maybe answers which so many questions ellicit.

Information and requirements need to be clearly transmitted so that a gentleman like you can respons as well as you have. Have a great day. I will get back at you soon.

@ Kevin Monahan

Thanx for your input. Educating me on etiquette is really not my need nor wish thank you all the same. I have been nothing but polite to the forum members but it was you people at Adobe who seem to like hiding information and can not write help systems thoroughly that make me get irritated. If Digitman's explanation is correct then why is this little piece of info not to be EASILY found in your extensive but almost enduser unfriendly format? In regards to why I used this forum to vent my frustrations it is because when ever I try to get info from the Adobe site nothing happens or the info is buried in meaningless etraneous stuff that requires an eternity to read thru.

The solution to this problem is an addition to the help system that describes clearly and concisely a workflow pipeline for the creation of every end product that people would want to achieve. You go to the section type in the file format like m2ts for example and hey presto up pops the info. Pretty easy I would say for a behemoth like Adobe. So you too have a nice day and by the way I will thank people in my time and not on your smug suggestion thank you very much.

@ Jim

Again thanx for the reply and have a nice day

@ Mark Mapes

OK Granted that this is a not main stream request and I take yuour point. In regards to the preset stuff. I am fully aware of presets and how to save and use them I have several other self made presets that I use regularly. The problem was to get this particular solution and obviously if I manage to get a preset made that actually does the trick according to Digitman then I will only be too happy to share it both here and in many other sites where this may be required. The fact that you have not heard of this workflow before astonishes me as it is often used in Vegas Pro circles.

In conclusion I thank all and sundry and wish every body a great day. Further info is always welcome.

• 9. Re: How do you export m2ts from Premiere Pro CC & AME CC?
                          digitlman Level 1

Good luck, I hope it works for you. I by no means am happy with adobe at all times and have plenty of my own gripes over the years. My typical support workflow is to search online and the forums for a short time, If i don't find my answer then i ask the simple question in the forums. If i do not get a solution THEN i would go on a long tirade rant to rag on adobe for not supporting a feature that i need. Your workflow was to assume the worst and wine and complain about a feature not existing in your "question" instead of simply posting "I dont see the option to export AVCHD m2ts files, anyone know how to do it?" which would have garnered the same helpfull responses from the users here.

Just mean this as a little helpfull constructive criticism in that this appears to be your first post and you will quickly discover that politeness will get you far on these forums.

I also agree that i have never heard of anyone taking their camera to clients to use as a media player, obviously it works for you but there are several other cheap media players out there that would probably work better for this function. Even my cell phone can play 1080p video out HDMI to your clients tv 

I personally would get a $99 sigma based mediaplayer to take to clients for review and not risk my valuable camera for that task.

Cheers

• 10. Re: How do you export m2ts from Premiere Pro CC & AME CC?
                            rooflyer7 Level 1

All points taken on board.

Hopefully I did not annoy you personally. My mistake was to thnk that this waas an ADOBE forum where Adobe people are the mods etc and that is why I went for the throat because I had absolutely no response from any other Adobe source. I did not realize that this forum is mainly a user forum so I apologize but I did get what I was after. I will let you know what happens in the tests. BTW I always have my camera with me with a tripod in the boot of the car. never know when you see some great resource when you are under way.

• 11. Re: How do you export m2ts from Premiere Pro CC & AME CC?
                              rooflyer7 Level 1

To all the people who tried to be helpful in this matter and as I promised here is a final statement (maybe final) about this situation. Thanx again to you all.

OK --- I tried to implement the suggestions and I seriously tried in many different ways thru after fx, prempro and encoder and using all sorts of combinations and tricks and even Rovi code codec etc. NOTHING and I mean nothing worked. That is a very interesting reality. This does not mean it is impossible but it certainly looks like it. Using Adobe products does not allow me to create an AVCHD M2TS file that is acceptable to the SONY HD CAMERA SR12. Therefore I can not supply a preset which would have surely helped some people out there.

The export options do not fit the Sony native file format and yet in SONY Vegas there is absolutely no problem. This indicates that this particular workflow is not supported by ADOBE at present according to my tests. Please understand that somewhere out there in digital video heaven there may still be an answer but as of now I have not found it either by searching and or by testings.

SAD but TRUE.   You may wonder why if I have a suitable method with Vegas that I would want this anyway. Mainly because of the one step less process and the fact that this SHOULD be possible. It is just so annoying that there is no pathway for this. WHY is the big question but that is mainly rhetorical and I do not expect people to waste their precious time on this any further but than again thanx for your help. I will now get into SONY forums and start a quest there although I am almost certain that it will be futile. Strange world we live in. Have a great day people.

• 12. Re: How do you export m2ts from Premiere Pro CC & AME CC?
                                digitlman Level 1

Well it is no surprise to me that a sony product properly supports another sony product. That would be a true travesty if it did not.

That being said I would like you to upload to any sharing site a 5 second sample clip from your camera. I can look at what Sony is expecting and probably have a solution for you.

• 13. Re: How do you export m2ts from Premiere Pro CC & AME CC?
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

the fact that this SHOULD be possible.

I disagree.  Cameras are overall an origination point, not a delivery point.

I still think your best option is to just pick up a tablet with HDMI output.

• 14. Re: How do you export m2ts from Premiere Pro CC & AME CC?
                                    Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                                    I would like you to upload to any sharing site a 5 second sample clip from your camera.

You can find the sample from Sony HDR-SR12 here. It's even a bit longer than 5 seconds. One hour and one second, to be precise.

• 15. Re: How do you export m2ts from Premiere Pro CC & AME CC?
                                      digitlman Level 1

thanks, but that is a 7GB file, was looking for something a little quicker to download.

• 16. Re: How do you export m2ts from Premiere Pro CC & AME CC?
                                        Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Are you sure that without knowing the full structure you will be able to elaborate the solution? The camcorder records spanned AVCHD clips with maximum bitrate around 17 Mbps and 2 GB file size limit, as well as clips' audio must be Dolby 5.1 so as to be compatible for recording back.

• 17. Re: How do you export m2ts from Premiere Pro CC & AME CC?
                                          digitlman Level 1

That is exactly the issue, without a sample file i don't know the full structure. If it spans files then that would be an issue if he needs long ones. Sony software would be the proper solution for that. Unfortunately for the OP it would most likely not be a viable feature for Adobe to create export profiles for every single camera on the planet with each of their own proprietary custom file structures.

Also, the camera records 5.1 audio? never heard of a camera that does that.

• 18. Re: How do you export m2ts from Premiere Pro CC & AME CC?
                                            Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                                            That is exactly the issue, without a sample file i don't know the full structure.

That's not an issue since I provided the link in my comment above.

the camera records 5.1 audio? never heard of a camera that does that.

That's a consumer camcorder.

Sony software would be the proper solution for that.

Exactly.

• 19. Re: How do you export m2ts from Premiere Pro CC & AME CC?
                                              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

rooflyer7 wrote:

@ Kevin Monahan

Thanx for your input. Educating me on etiquette...

Hi rooflyer7,

I'm only pointing our the rules of the road that all people must follow. If you break the rules, your post can get removed. When you start "yelling" in red and capital letters, your meaning can sound hostile, which breaks our guidelines.

Again, this is a user to user forum. Adobe participation can happen, but should not be expected.

I was only trying to be helpful, although, I do understand your frustration in getting your issue solved. I share in your desire to get that problem solved.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 20. Re: How do you export m2ts from Premiere Pro CC & AME CC?
                                                rooflyer7 Level 1

OK - take your point but the use of red is to draw attention to the important points and is not meant as a yell at all.

To return to the matter at hand - you can see that this issue is NOT resolved and that there is NO clear answer as of yet. The funny thing is that I just read that the programm by adobe called PREMIERE ELEMENTS has an export for AVCHD. Have not tested it yet but that would indicate that there is a solution that ADOBE has actually made and implemented. This makes any statement as to the company not being able to cover most cameras with a simple preset obsolete.

I will return to this forum if and when I have a solution. Thanx again people.

• 21. Re: How do you export m2ts from Premiere Pro CC & AME CC?
                                                  digitlman Level 1

Ok i got a sample file from your camera, it is not actually "M2TS" as your topic states but the files are ".MTS"  However they are still simple standard AVCHD files.

Premiere can easily make a file like your camera creates, the settings are all there to match the output. However SONY is using a very customized variation of a Bluray DIsc structure with multiple files and folders with clip info files, metadata, and playlists, etc...  There is no way adobe would ever make this work the way you want. You should certainly stick with the Sony product you have that is designed to do this already.

I know this is not what you want to hear but as an Adobe customer for the past 20 years i would actually be rather upset if they devoted time to add this feature instead of other features that most every other user could use.  I would also venture to say that only Sony would have the detailed information to duplicate this metadata and file information and as a product competitor I would imagine Sony would not even give Adobe the Information needed to add this feature.

• 22. Re: How do you export m2ts from Premiere Pro CC & AME CC?
                                                    Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                                                    Ok i got a sample file from your camera, it is not actually "M2TS" as your topic states but the files are ".MTS"

Just for the record: the camcorder record files with 'MTS' file extension, Sony transfer utility (which is currently 'PlayMemories Home' for consumer camcorders) automatically rewraps them into 'M2TS', which is basically the same container, and stitches spanned MTS clips into a single M2TS file. On exporting from disk to camcorder PMH performs the opposite operation, i.e. spans long M2TS file into several MTS clips.

• 23. Re: How do you export m2ts from Premiere Pro CC & AME CC?
                                                      rooflyer7 Level 1

Hi all.

Very short and sweet. DOES NOT WORK.

I installed the Premiere Elements proggy and did extensive tests and the end result is the same as all the others. SONY and APPLE do NOT MIX on this aspect.

As was suggested I will just simply stick to the Vegas Pro method and be happy.

Appreciate all your comments and if someone ever cracks this ***** please send me a beep.

Have a great day everybody.