6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2013 6:42 AM by wavestats88

After Effects rendering issue

wavestats88

Lately anytime I am rendering a clip in After Effects for a project and then jump into premeire to do some edits the render in AE just stops right where it is. Anybody else have this issue and is there a fix?

• 1. Re: After Effects rendering issue
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What kind of project? What kind of machine? What version of AE?

Make sure everything is up to date, try it again, and if you still have problems answer the first three questions before you ask your why. Otherwise we're just guessing. If I were to guess I'd say you did not allocate enough memory to other applications and you may have MP rendering turned on.

• 2. Re: After Effects rendering issue
            wavestats88 Level 1

I do have MP rendering turned on. I have 10gb of ram with 3gb of Ram setup for other aplications and 1 gb of ram used per CPU which is 5 and an I7 quad core. I am running CS6 on Windows 7 sp1 64 bit. I was not doing any sort of dynamic linking either. I did have updates that need to be installed and will do that when I leave for the day and try again tomorrow.

• 3. Re: After Effects rendering issue

Turn off MP. If you are not staying with AE or Rendering from the Render Cue to a codec that supports MP rendering you are slowing down the entire process. Don't starve your other apps for processors. AE can only use so much when the frame size is HD. The amount of power required depends on the frame size. You can't force an HD project to use more memory or processor power than it takes to process HD frames one at a time.

• 4. Re: After Effects rendering issue
                wavestats88 Level 1

How do you find out what codec's support MP?

• 5. Re: After Effects rendering issue

Image sequences do usually support MP rendering, but any codec that must process frames in a linear fashion may not. That includes most of them. What we are calling MP rendering is really rendering multiple frames simultaneously. If one renders faster than the next one in the sequence due to a longer path through the system buss and you are using a process that is linear then the whole process breaks down very quickly and things have to process the errors, stop the process until everything gets re-set, verify that everything is in order, figure out which frame from which processor is next, start again, then check the sequence again. That's an over simplification of why rendering to a linear codec or trying to render a plug-in that uses linear processing like a particle system can break down with MP or rather more accurately RMFS rendering turned on.

• 6. Re: After Effects rendering issue
                    wavestats88 Level 1

I think I understand that. I am rendering out about a 1:10 project and exporting as an AVI took almost an 1 1/2 hours. I switched to Quicktime and the animation and codec with MP off and see if it will speed up the process at all.