5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2013 9:16 AM by A.T. Romano

splitting video into clips

juliej 44

video downloaded from DVD will not split into clips for editing how can I split into clips. The DVD is from an old camerea not compatable with windows 7 so have to download from DVD . jules

• 1. Re: splitting video into clips
          A.T. Romano Level 7

juliej44

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What do you have on the DVD disc...

a. A full size DVD disc with its content in DVD-VIDEO format? If so, DVD-VIDEO, NTSC or PAL and Standard or Widescreen?

b. One of those mini DVD disc with its content in DVD-VIDEO format? Is o, DVD-VIDEO, NTSC or PAL and Standard or Widescreen?

Is the DVD disc one of those DVD RAM types?

If you want Premiere Elements to rip the VOB video files from the DVD-VIDEO format on a DVD disc (non DVD RAM), there is a special import category for that which includes (example with specifics for Premiere Elements 11)

a. DVD disc in burner tray

b. Premiere Elements 11, Add Media/"DVD Camera or Computer Drive"/Video Importer

Please review the above and then we can decide what next based on your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: splitting video into clips
            juliej 44 Level 1

I have premiere elemnts 11. a 64 bit system and windows 7. I had the small tapes that we used before everything went digital and the camera is not compatable with windows 7 so I took the tapes to the local camera shop to have them put on DVD. Unfortunatly the shopkeeper does not know what type they are .I am definatly using PAL and they may be DVD VIDEO or DVD RAM The details on the box just  say DVD-R Intenso. I have no idea if they are standard or widescreen. I have tried add media/ DVD Camera or Computer Drive/Video importer and the hour long DVD goes on as 2 separate parts but not separated into clips Hope you can help with th info that I have Thank You

• 3. Re: splitting video into clips
              A.T. Romano Level 7

juliej44

It sounds like whatever was put on disc was put on a DVD-R Intenso brand disc.

Probably the tape content was put on that DVD-R disc in DVD-VIDEO format. It gets more complicated if it gets put on the DVD-RAM type disc (which does not seem to be the case).

To verify the format of the material on your DVD disc, put the disc in the burn tray, go to computer, and Open the drive. You should see at least two folders, OpenDVD, VIDEO_TS, and maybe AUDIO_TS. Those folders are indicative of a DVD-VIDEO format.

http://www.fileinfo.com/help/video_ts_folder

Now back to Premiere Elements and the Video Importer. The video editor is not going to rip off clips from the DVD-VIDEO format. It is going to rip off VOB video files which contain a fixed number of files before it generates additional of its kind for additional video content.

Once you have the video VOB files (typically starting with VTS_01_1.VOB...spot the larger file size ones), in the Video Importer, you bring them into the project where you split them into clips that you want. You can do that in the Preview Window with the Set In Set Out point.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSA27F29AF-97BB-4bdc-AF98-65113182EDF6. html

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organization-for.html

Please review the above and then let us know if any of it helped for the task that you want to perform with Premiere Elements.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: splitting video into clips
                juliej 44 Level 1

Problem solved many thanks

• 5. Re: splitting video into clips
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

juliej44

Thanks for the follow up with the important information on what worked for you. Very pleased with your success.

Such follow up is important to all with similar workflow considerations.

Continuing success.

ATR