5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2013 3:43 PM by Peter Spier

Printing an interactive PDF

PabloFuentes Level 1

Hi!

With this new interacty that Indesign CS6  allows us to use; What would it happen I decide to print an interactive PDF with dynamic content (slideshows, drop-downs, pop-up windows) ? 

For example on a digital interactive PDF:

Let’s say I've got a list of bullet points I'd like to hide/display by clicking a button. So the bullet points list expands and contracts according to the user's interaction.

What would it happen if I print this document? Would the printing layout be compromised as the box should be hidden content?  or would the bullet points be shown?

A good example of expanding boxes and hidden content can be found here

I hope this makes sense

cheers,

Pablo

• 1. Re: Printing an interactive PDF
          Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

Printing a page with interactive elements and especially elements that are hidden will present a print challenge for the user. In the example you provided, there are buttons to download more print friendly PDFs containing the relevant information. This would be my suggestion, creating the interactive document for on screen viewing, but also provide a button or link to a printable file or page.

• 2. Re: Printing an interactive PDF
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

On the first place you should not create a pdf via printing but via export.

In the export you can choose PDF print and PDF interactive.

Forms and Interactive elements can be chosen by option as exported in the printed pdf as ther printed elements without activity.

When you export as interactive pdf the printing property depends how you have specified the interactive elements. For films you can specify a poster image which is printed, with form fields you can specify if such a field is printed only or it is seen on screen only or it is never shown or it is both, shown on screen and printed. Depends on how you specify those fields.

• 3. Re: Printing an interactive PDF
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Willi, I think you misunderstood. Pablo is asking what happens if you export an Interactive PDF with these features, then decide to print it out.

@ Pablo,

I'd suggest you try printing the PDF to see what you get, and if possible do it from both Reader and Mac Preview, which is likely to really mess things up.

• 4. Re: Printing an interactive PDF
                Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

Mac Preview does not support most interactive functions in a PDF... not only will you be unable to print these interactive elements... you won't even be able to view them in the application.

• 5. Re: Printing an interactive PDF
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Yeah, that's why is suggested it. I think it's important foe users to know waht their audience might be in for and to make arrangements in advance, either by alteringthe design or providing a warning not to use anything but Reader.