10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2013 8:13 AM by A.T. Romano

Blu-Ray burn error

JAndrewWalton

I have created a project in PRE 8 - NTSC HDV-HDV 1030i 30.  (I also attempted to burn a BLU-RAY disc in a project defined as NTSC HDV-HDV 720p 30; same result.) 

On the PRE 8 Share tab, I specify Blu-Ray > Preset = H.264 1920x1080i NTSC Dolby.  The Blu-Ray burn goes thru all the steps.  At the end of the disc burning step (96% completed), it ends with the message “device error”).  The BD-R disc ejects, but it is still blank.

I am running on Windows Vista.  The blu-ray burner is an internal PLDS BD-RE DH-481S drive in a Dell XPS 420.  Drivers & firmware is up-to-date.

Any suggestions/help will be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Blu-Ray burn error
          A.T. Romano Level 7

JAndrewWalton

When you are in the burn to Blu-ray dialog, what does the Quality Area show for Space Required and Bitrate?

Do you have a check mark next to the option "Fit Content Into Available Space"?

Please check out my blog post on error associated with the "Fit Content into Available Space" choice in this regard.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-blu-ray-burn-dialog-fit-content-to.html

Please let us know if any of that applies to your present situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Blu-Ray burn error
            JAndrewWalton Level 1

Fit Contents ... is checked

Space Required 2.02 GB; Bitrate 24.00 Mbps.

There is no Adobe Media Error indicator.

I read the blog you linked.  Is is significant that I am using PRE 8?

• 3. Re: Blu-Ray burn error
              A.T. Romano Level 7

JAndrewWalton

I am heading to Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Windows 7 64 bit to set up a burn to Blu-ray with Quality Area Space Required 2.02 GB, Bitrate 24.00 Mbps and check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space.

Results as soon as possible.

ATR

• 4. Re: Blu-Ray burn error
                A.T. Romano Level 7

JAndrewWalton

I just did a run through

Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Windows 7 64 bit

7 .m2t files

so that the burned to Blu-ray burn dialog showed

Space Required = 2.14 GB with Bitrate 24.00 Mbps (Fit Content to Available Space with check mark)

Space Required = 1.80 GB with Bitrate 20.19 Mbps (Fit Content to Available Space without check mark)

As reported in my blog post, use of the Fit Content to Available Space with check resulted in the error triangle at the bottom left of the interface (Adobe Media Encoder - Project Data Invalid)

I am not sure why you are not seeing the error triangle icon in your workflow under the circumstances. I would encourage you to run the burn to Blu-ray with that option unchecked to see if the burn to Blu-ray then goes to completion successfully.

More later.

ATR

• 5. Re: Blu-Ray burn error
                  JAndrewWalton Level 1

I did attempt another burn.  Prior to the burn, I checked ON the Quality: Fit Contents ....   The space requirement displayed was "Space Required 2.02 GB; Bitrate 24.00 Mbps."  I am using a BD-R, 25GB blank disc.

I then ran the burn:

All the clips in the project are .m2t

Blu-Ray > Preset = H.264 1920x1080i NTSC Dolby

Quality: Fit Contents ... is checked OFF

This time the error triangle icon was displayed. "Adobe Media Error Property Data Invalid".  Nothing was burned to the disc.

• 6. Re: Blu-Ray burn error
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

JAndrewWalton

Thanks for the follow up and additional testing.

Let us go through the usual drill to see if we can get to the core of the issue:

a. Is this a "it worked before and does not now" type issue or a "it never worked before" type?

b. Are you running 8.0 as the 8.0.1 Update?

c. Do you have the automatic features of Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer shut off?

d. Can you burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc using the burn software that came with the Blu-ray burner?

e. Do you have accessed to an external Blu-ray burner?

Have you read my write up of a few years ago regarding the use of the Phantom Burner in conjunction with Premiere Elements to get a "burn to folder" for Blu-ray which does not exist in Premiere Elements? In that instance, a disc image is created. And, this disc image can be put on Blu-ray disc with 3rd party software.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55009

I no longer visit nor answer questions at that forum, so, if you have any questions on my writeup, please ask me here in your thread.

What next will depend on what type of issue this is as asked above and the factors.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Blu-Ray burn error
                      JAndrewWalton Level 1

a. Is this a "it worked before and does not now" type issue or a "it never worked before" type?

No.  I recently purchased an HD camcorder and this is my first attempt at burning a blu-ray disc from a Premiere Elements project.

b. Are you running 8.0 as the 8.0.1 Update?

Yes

c. Do you have the automatic features of Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer shut off?

Yes

d. Can you burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc using the burn software that came with the Blu-ray burner?

The blu-ray burner is an internal PLDS BD-RE DH-481S drive in a Dell XPS 420 (original equipment).  The burn software is old Roxio that does not import AVCHD files.  I have tried Microsoft Movie Maker (Vista Home Premium version) unsuccessfully.

e. Do you have accessed to an external Blu-ray burner?

No

I am in the process of experimenting with the Phantom Burner and Imgburn to see if that combination is useable.

• 8. Re: Blu-Ray burn error
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

JAndrewWalton

I revisited the Phantom Burner/ImgBurn in conjunction with Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 to get the disc image from the burn to Blu-ray process. It is still working. I am still working with the tryout which limits the file size, but it works.

Another thought for you to try with the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 burn to Blu-ray. disc....That version offers burn to Blu-ray presets of

H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby

and

MPEG2 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby

Have you tried both and have you gotten the same failure at 96% mark with each?

It just may be that burner at the core of the matter, but let us see.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Blu-Ray burn error
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Going back a few years, Dell had some issues with their internal BD burners. They replaced a lot of those internal BD burners. I would also check that possibility out, and Dell should be able to tell you, if you BD burner is in that group.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Blu-Ray burn error
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

JAndrewWalton

Just some recapping....

You have Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 on Windows Vista. Is that Windows Vista 32 or 64 bit?

Also, when you did your updates for the BD-RE burner, was this the Dell web page that you worked from?

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/driverdetails?driverid=R218748

ATR