1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 23, 2013 10:58 AM by A.T. Romano

Can Premier handle the SONY camcorder MTS format files?

FSG-NY

I have a 1 year old Sony camcorder (model HDR-CX260V) and was trying to determine if Adobe Premier Elements can import the videos that that camcorder takes (seems to be MTS file format), import those videoes, edit them, and then output to a more universally recognized file type (that can be played on a TV/DVD and/or PC?

I have done a # of web searches and don't seem to find a definitive answer on this.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Fred

• 1. Re: Can Premier handle the SONY camcorder MTS format files?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Fred

For now assuming a NTSC workflow.

I have looked at the video specifications for the Sony HDR-CX260V and on paper it looks you should be able to import/edit/export it output, namely,

a. 1080p60 (1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 60 progressive frames per second)

b. 1080i30 (1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 30 interlaced frames per second)

c. 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 @ 30 interlaced frames per second.

You say that you have a .mts file extension.

Premiere Elements 11 has project presets for each of the above.

For TV/DVD viewing via the DVD player, you are going to need DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc. In this case, NTSC DVD-VIDEO Widescreen format on DVD disc.

Keep in mind:

a. you will be going from 1920 x 1080 to the standard of the DVD-VIDEO format (720 x 480 frame size whether standard or widescreen)

b. your interlaced source media will gave a Field Order (Scan Order) = Upper Field First; whereas, DVD-VIDEO has Lower Field First....that may need switching by selecting one of the Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorder choices or using a regular project preset and using Field Options Reverse Field Dominance on the file on the Timeline.

All this can be done in many versions of Premere Elements (with or without new Premiere Elements project preset 1080p60). More details on that later.

But, if you do not now have any version of Premiere Elements, then please, before any purchase, download and install and try the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 11 from Adobe. You need to verify that Premiere Elements 11 is compatible with your computer environment as well as your video importing/editing/exporting.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR