1 2 Previous Next 47 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2014 9:55 PM by PierreLouisBeranek

New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?

PierreLouisBeranek Level 1

After installing Premiere Pro CC on a new laptop and using it for the last couple of days, I'm glad to say that so far so good.  Not a single crash or hickup.

The new transitions in Premiere CC are rather disappointing though.  I'm sure some people were asking for taller transition bars, but did Adobe really have to make them as huge as 95% of a clip's height?  This is distracting and can be a real PITA in certain situations, such as when trying to move a clip that's mostly or 100% covered by a cross dissolve for example.  In that situation, you're now left with very little clickable space to select the clip vs the transition.

Do other have a similar experience?

What would be the ideal height for transitions to have in the GUI?  I would think 50% of the clip's height, anytime the track it's on is expanded.  This would be much more visually clean and user-friendly than the current nonsense, IMO.

• 1. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi PierreLouis,

If you drag near the bottom or the top of the transition, you can adjust it. I find it will grab the clip about 1/3 of the way near the top or bottom, though visually it appears you can't. If you can't grab the clip, just zoom in a little closer.

If you don't like the appearance of the transitions, feel free to make that request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Thanks,

Kevin

• 2. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?

Thanks for the reply Kevin, but you're talking about something else.

Clicking anywhere on a transition selects the transition itself, and not the underlying clip.  This means users now need to exercise a ridiculous amount of caution to click on the tiny strip over or under the transition, when the intent is to select the clip and not the transition.

See this picture for example.

Transitions now cover 95% of a clip's height.png

Good luck quickly click-selecting this clip to move it on the Timeline!  To be forced to click with such precision when it's entirely unnecessary is a royal PITA.  This needs to be fixed!  And it would probably be an easy fix too!

A transition that spans up to 50% of the clip's height makes sense, both aesthetically (greater ease of seeing what's under the transition, such as an audio waveform) and functionality-wise (much easier to click-select the underlying clip).  These idiotic transitions that Adobe implemented in Premiere CC make zero sense in either case.  I know that FCP has always had these disgustingly tall transitions, but I've always hated that about FCP since it decreases productivity instead of increasing it.

[start rant]

I know it sounds harsh to say this, but whoever is responsible for this should have their work position reviewed for committing such an obviously stupid blunder.  How did something so dumb ever get past the rest of the team and QC?

Adobe's PP team have committed so many blunders in the past, such as forcing hard subclip in/out points on us years ago and deeming it a 'feature', that sometimes I wonder if the people responsible for these blunders know the first thing about video editing.  It took 7 years for Adobe to fix that colossal blunder.  Hopefully it doesn't take them 7 years to fix this screw up with transitions!

Yes, I will be submitting a feature request for Adobe to fix this screw up.  Just like hard subclip in/out points, this isn't a new 'feature'.  To call it anything close to that is an insult to my, and everyone else's, intelligence as an editor. 

[end rant]

• 3. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
              shooternz Level 6

Dont understand why you didnt leave a reasonable post  before rocking into a personal rant!

Kind of dilutes your reasonable  issue and takes away from it IMHO

Never found insulting people to be best path to getting results.

• 4. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                JaysonM-Y Level 3

shooternz's right. usually you don't bite the helping hand at the beginning or in the middle of being helped. Then again, one shouldn't be biting the hand really...

• 5. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?

You're right guys,

That's why I made it clear I was going on a rant with [start rant] and [end rant].

Fact remains that there are some brilliant people at Adobe, doing brilliant things, and there are others who mess things up so baddly that they shouldn't be there.  I'm just venting frustration, not trying to insult anyone.  If anything, Adobe insults us, its loyal users, when they mess things up in such an obvious way that even a non-editor could look at the screen grab I posted and figure out what's wrong with the picture.

I'm tired of posting 'Feature Requests' asking Adobe to fix things they shouldn't have broken in the first place.  That's all.

• 6. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why not remove the transition first then move the clip.

You are going to lose the transition anyway.

It is not a big deal to do that. I cannot imaging a timeline full of transitions covering each and every clip...

• 7. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I think that it's a very, very rare ocurrance where the transition lasts the entire duration of a clip.  In a normal situation, with the transition only a fraction of the whole clip, the new system works out better than the old.  You're just in an unusual situation.

• 8. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                        Geronimosan Level 1

Very unhelpful responses here from the MVPs.

I agree with the OP, and have run into this frustrating issue many times already in my editing sessions.

1) Having to zoom into a clip doesn't work - it doesn't change that tiny sliver of grabbable real estate on the clip that can be used to drag it.

2) If the editor simply wants to slide a clip along the timeline, then removing the transition is non-senssical because then it would have to be re-applied.

3) I don't care if this issue is a rare occurrance for you, it is not a rare occurrance for others - don't speak for others, and don't assume your individual experience is the same experience as everyone else. And you making some ambiguous claim that this is somehow better is utter BS, but feel free to actually explain, with facts, how this new "system" is better.

The solutions are either: a) shorten the height of the transition as it used to be, b) align the transition to either the top or the bottom to consolidate all of the "grabbable" real estate in one place to make it easier to click, or c) include a shortcut, such as ctrl+click that clicks through the transition and grabs the clip itself.

Easy, real solutions, that I don't foresee Adobe ever doing.

• 9. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                          tclark513 Level 3

Geronimosan wrote:

Very unhelpful responses here from the MVPs.

I agree with the OP, and have run into this frustrating issue many times already in my editing sessions.

1) Having to zoom into a clip doesn't work - it doesn't change that tiny sliver of grabbable real estate on the clip that can be used to drag it.

2) If the editor simply wants to slide a clip along the timeline, then removing the transition is non-senssical because then it would have to be re-applied.

3) I don't care if this issue is a rare occurrance for you, it is not a rare occurrance for others - don't speak for others, and don't assume your individual experience is the same experience as everyone else. And you making some ambiguous claim that this is somehow better is utter BS, but feel free to actually explain, with facts, how this new "system" is better.

The solutions are either: a) shorten the height of the transition as it used to be, b) align the transition to either the top or the bottom to consolidate all of the "grabbable" real estate in one place to make it easier to click, or c) include a shortcut, such as ctrl+click that clicks through the transition and grabs the clip itself.

Easy, real solutions, that I don't foresee Adobe ever doing.

Totally agree with this!

• 10. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just venting an opinion.

Because one does not agree, one suddenly is an unhelpfull MVP.

If i were not a mvp, you still got the same opinion.

• 11. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?

FINALLY someone responds with some truly intelligent thoughts!

Thanks for your suggestions Geronimosan.  You make some excellent points!  Yes, given Adobe's track record, I'm not too optimistic about them fixing this screw up before 2020.  But hopefully they prove me wrong.

The suggestion of "Why not remove the transition first then move the clip.  You are going to lose the transition anyway." simply goes to show just how little some people think before responding.  Sorry Ann, but how exactly is moving a clip with a single sidded transition, as per the picture, going to make an editor 'lose the transition anyway'?  Premiere, nor any other NLE that I know of, works that way.

Let's all send Adobe official FR so that they fix this and set the height of transitions to something REASONABLE such as 50% of the clip's height.  95% of the height as it is now is UNreasonable, any which way you measure it.

Kevin, if you could pitch in with this request on our behalf, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks

• 12. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                Let's all send Adobe official FR so that they fix this and set the height of transitions

I like the new design.  Grabbing the transition itself, performing trims and ripple trims are now much easier than they were in CS6.

• 13. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                                  shooternz Level 6

I was thinking about this "issue" while working today. 

I do get the point but never ran into any situation that affected me.

(I actually set up some clips "covered" with transition and they did not affect anything for me the way I edit)

So I wondered..

This is distracting and can be a real PITA in certain situations, such as when trying to move a clip that's mostly or 100% covered by a cross dissolve for example.

...what other "certain situations" are a PITA for others...and why is it a distraction?

Whatever...I cant see it to be  a very difficult fix as requested by others although wont be doing a FR for it ...and maybe the engineers might just nudge it a little.  Wouldnt expect any complaints.

• 14. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                                    Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

We already have a bug entered regarding fact that the target for selecting an edit point w/ a transition is small and, as Kevin pointed out, that the feedback from the mouse pointer is inaccurate--the target is actually much larger than red slash would lead you to believe.

When I was investigating that issue, the problem raised in this thread did not occur to me, in part because the transition didn't cover the whole clip--or, when zoomed in, the visible extent of the clip. 

For what it's worth, I think the height of the transition should be reduced to provide a taller target, especially when the track height is greater than its minimum. Geronimosan's other suggestions also bear consideration.

But in the best case scenario, you cannot expect a change in this design right away, so I offer a few workaround by way of keyboard shortcuts, some of which are new to CC.

• Select Clip at Playhead [D]. (which I often set up with the Move Playhead to Cursor shortcut to save mousing up to the timebar)
                                    • Select Next Clip [CMD+Down or CTRL+Down] / Select Previous Clip [CMD+Up or CTRL+Up]. If no clip is selected, then these commands work relative to the playhead, selecting the nearest clip regardless of track or track targeting; if a clip is selected, then these shortcuts work along the same track.
                                    • and, to select an edit point, you have several shortcuts to work with. Just type "Edit Point" in the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog to check them out.

These shortcuts may not be an ideal solution in some scenarios, and they won't be appealing to those with a mouse-centric style. But hopefully they'll help at least some of you at least some of the time.

• 15. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                                      shooternz Level 6

Funny you suggested:

Select Clip at Playhead [D].

I have that set as Shift -V and I was going to suggest that.

I do think its a bit of an issue cos there is no real reason to have it so big but I also cant imagine how anyone runs into it too much.  Generally there is a heap of clip outside the transition space for drag edit styles and its also so easy to nail the edit point and set edit modes with mouse or shortcuts.(which of course ...everyone wanted and screamed for)

• 16. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?

Thanks for chiming in Mark and for offering some useful work-arounds for the time being.

I can't imagine that fixing this should take much time since the program code value that determines the height of a transition relative to the height of the clip it's on when extended could very well be, in the best case scenario, nothing more than a single variable that needs to be changed.  That value should be changed from the current value of around 95% to something reasonable and intelligent between 30-50%.  That would make all users happy: in instances where they want bigger transitions for easier click-selecting, and also in instances when they want easy click-selecting of the clip underneath.  

During the Scully beta program, I made a repeated case for Adobe to fix the default shadow settings in the Titler, so that they may be set to the MOST commonly used settings rather than the LEAST desirable settings they were set at.  One programmer was kind enough to listen an he fixed the problem, by setting the Angle and spread values to their current default settings.  All it took to fix this code-wise was the changing of two numbers!  Hopefully a fix for transitions is also simple and can therefore be done sooner than later. 

A more complex yet most ideal fix would be to allow users to determine transition height through a new setting in the Preferences pane.  Therefore users who prefer the pre-CC transitions, such as myself, could set them back to a small value, and FCP users used to huge transitions could set it to what they're used to.

shooternz,

If you do any movie trailer or movie trailer-style editing, short clips/titles that are completely covered with a single-sided, fade-to-black cross dissolve are actually quite common.  As you mention, and I fully agree with you, there truly isn't any reason for transitions to be so big. 

Adobe wanted to solve one problem (small transitions), but in solving that problem, they created a new problem (microscopically small clickable areas to select the clip underneath).  Can't we just have some balance so that everyone's happy?

• 17. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

We already have a bug entered regarding fact that the target for selecting an edit point w/ a transition is small and

Ohhhhh, that's not good.  The way it works now is perfect.  You guys expand that damn edit point selection range and I'm back to frustration city when trying to Ripple Trim.

• 18. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?

Official FR sent.  Please feel free to copy/paste or base your own FR on this one.

Here it is:

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

Brief title for your desired feature:  Shorter transitions

How would you like the feature to work?

Shorter transition (i.e. that occupy between 30-50% of an expanded clip's height) so that users have more clickable real-estate under the transition to click-select the clip the transition is on.

Why is this feature important to you?

By solving one problem (small transitions), Adobe went way too far and created a new problem (far too little clickable real-estate above and under a transition to click-select the clip underneath).  This is especially problematic when dealing with clips that have a transition over their entire duration, such as a cross-fade to black.  Fixing one problem while creating another is unacceptable.  Please fix this so that users can have the best of both worlds: a reasonable amount of clickable real-estate for both transitions AND clips!

• 19. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?

Jim: There's one incontrovertible bug here: When the Rolling Edit or Ripple Edit tool is selected, the mouse pointer does not match the actual behavior. In the screenshot below, if you mouse over either green block, the mouse point shows the red slash, meaning of course that you cannot select the edit point, but if you click: edit point gets selected.

screenshot.jpg

What we should change to fix that discrepancy is open to debate. We could preserve the current clicking behavior and change the mouse feedback to match that reality, or we could change the target to match what the mouse pointer indicates. I favor the former on the grounds that the latter would leave you only a 3-4 pixel target for selecting the edit point.

I'm not clear on what you mean by "You guys expand that damn edit point selection range and I'm back to frustration city when trying to Ripple Trim." To my way of thinking, expanding the edit point selection range would make ripple trimming easier. Can you clarify?

Somewhat independent of that decision is whether the height of the transition should be changed--and the implications of that for clip selection, which is the issue at the heart of this thread. Such a change is not as straightforward as Pierre supposes because we have to account for the minimum track height case--if we made the transition shorter in that case, too, then selecting and trimming transitions would become more challenging. I'm not saying that it can't be done or even that it would take a monumental effort, but just that it's not simply a matter of changing a single param.

• 20. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8

We could preserve the current clicking behavior and change the mouse feedback to match that reality

Phew!I thought you meant expanding the selection range horizontally back to what it was in CS6.

To my way of thinking, expanding the edit point selection range would make ripple trimming easier. Can you clarify?

I don't ever select the edit point.  I Ripple Trim with the mouse (cause it's quicker ).

selecting and trimming transitions would become more challenging

That's why I like the new height.  It makes selecting the transition much easier than it used to be.

• 21. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                                                  shooternz Level 6

shooternz,

If you do any movie trailer or movie trailer-style editing, short clips/titles that are completely covered with a single-sided, fade-to-black cross dissolve are actually quite common. 

Short clips are my life.  I shoot and edit TVCs

• 22. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?

Hi Mark

Mark Mapes wrote:

Such a change is not as straightforward as Pierre supposes because we have to account for the minimum track height case

That's why I wrote that the value to be changed is the one determining the height of a transition relative to a clip when the clip is expanded beyond it's minimum size.  When a clip is at its minimum height, transitions should have the same height they currently have, which is pretty much the same height they had in CS6.  So no need to mess around or worry about that.  In essence, the only value that needs to be changed is the one I just stated.

The time all of us have discussed this back and forth is quite possible more than the time it would take a kind soul at Adobe to fix this.  The kind Adobe programmer who fixed the Titler's shadow defaults told me it took him 1 hour to fix it.  I'm guessing that was 5 minutes to actually change two numbers in the code, and 55 minutes to recompile the code.  I don't see how fixing this problem would take much longer than that.  After all, it's just variables, numbers, parameters.  To simply change the value of 'x' in the program code where 'x' determines 'transition height' isn't exactly rocket science.  Hell, if I had access to the source code and knew where to find the line of code in question, I'd change it myself on my system!

• 23. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?

Sorry, the words "when extended" didn't register when I first read your earlier post.

Regardless of how difficult such a change would be, the outstanding question is whether reducing the height of the transition is a good idea. I'm already on record as favoring this change, and Pierre has made his opinion official by submitting a feature request. Numbers can be decisive in such decisions, so I urge anybody else who feels strongly about this to also enter a request through the  form linked to above.

• 24. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?

Thanks Mark.

Here's another reason transitions need to be set to a more reasonable height of 30-50% of a clip's height:

Situation 2.png

In this situation I encountered this morning, I'm trying to match the beginning of the waveforms of these two audio tracks.  As can be clearly seen in this picture, the audio transition is in the way, partially hiding the waveform underneath it.  While not impossible to match, the visual pollution created by the super tall transition does make it harder to see the underlying waveform.

I don't think the outstanding question is whether it's a good idea or not to make transitions a reasonable height (IMHO, the two pictures I posted, and the points I and Geronimosan stated prove beyond reasonable doubt that it is).  The real question is whether users are going to care enough to speak up about this completely unnecessary inconvenience, and whether Adobe will care enough to fix it.  Fact is that for every person that speaks up, there are hundreds or thousands that feel the same but never care to or don't know how to speak up.  So numbers alone can't/shouldn't necessarily determine what's done.

While numbers do hold power, I also believe that a single person advocating something strongly enough can be just as powerful.  Since you work at Adobe Mark, I'm sure your voice bears more weight than any single person's voice here on the forums.  That's why I'm so hopeful you can continue to speak up about this issue on our behalf to the rest of the Premiere Pro team, and share with them the reasons we provided for reasonably sized transitions!

One more thing: once transitions get reduced in height, they should remain pinned to the top of the clip, thereby occupying the upper 30-50% of an extended clip's height, rather than the center portion of the clip.  The reason for this is that whenever audio clips are stereo, it would be much preferable to have the transition hide just the left channel of the waveform rather than partially obstructing both channels.   Since stereo channels usually have nearly identical waveforms, users would benefit more from having a completely unobstructed view of one of the two channels.

• 25. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                                                          tclark513 Level 3

Write up a feature request and post it here. I find more people will submit one if they have something to copy and paste.  The easier you make it, the more people will join in. 

• 26. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?

Another new feature in Premiere CC with regards to transitions is that Premiere now applies transitions to both sides of any selected clip(s).  While I do see the benefit of this, Adobe's implementation unfortunately was not very well thought out.  In my experience, much more often than not, this results in unwanted transitions being created whenever I forget to deselect clips before using the keyboard shortcut to apply a transitions at the CTI (as I've come to expect from years of experience with pre-CC versions of Premiere). 

To give users the best of both worlds, the new CC convenience of applying several transitions at once when so desired + the CS6 confidence that transitions will only be applied where and when desired, I would do the following tweaks:

1. 1 or more clips selected and CTI over selection = current CC behaviour: default transition set to every selected clip's in/out points
                                                            2. 1 or more clips selected and CTI outside of selection = CS6 behaviour: only apply default transitions to any clip in/out point(s) directly under the CTI

By implementing these little tweaks, editors wouldn't have to worry about mistakenly adding transitions to selected clips that are, in the worse case scenario, not even in the viewable portion of the Timeline, whereby the changes go unnoticed!

Premiere Pro genius BartW talks about this problem in his blog post: http://www.creativeimpatience.com/d-is-for-deselect-before-applying-a-default-transition/.  His suggested solution is to always press 'D' to deselect any potentially selected clips before using the apply transition shortcut.

My proposed solution is for Adobe to respect the 'transition-only-under-CTI' muscle-memory developed over years of pre-CC editing by its faithful users and fix this problem as suggested above!

Unfortunately this stands as yet another example of Adobe attempting to fix something, but not thinking it through properly and thus creating a new problem as a result.   When will the madness stop?

I will be submitting an official FR for this and suggest others do as well.  I'll post it here after submitting.

• 27. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?

tclark513 wrote:

Write up a feature request and post it here. I find more people will submit one if they have something to copy and paste.  The easier you make it, the more people will join in. 

Excellent suggestion tclark, which is why I did just that!   If you look a few posts back, you'll see I posted my official FR for others to see.  Perhaps you could mark that post as 'Correct' so that it appears at the top of this thread to make it easier for others to find?

Cheers!

• 28. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                                                                joshweiland Level 2

I like the larger transition height in some circumstances...but not when using super-short clips.  So I think this should be customizable.  Thanks for the FR Pierre, I'll be submitting it.

PierreLouisBeranek wrote:

The time all of us have discussed this back and forth is quite possible more than the time it would take a kind soul at Adobe to fix this.  The kind Adobe programmer who fixed the Titler's shadow defaults told me it took him 1 hour to fix it.  I'm guessing that was 5 minutes to actually change two numbers in the code, and 55 minutes to recompile the code.  I don't see how fixing this problem would take much longer than that.  After all, it's just variables, numbers, parameters.  To simply change the value of 'x' in the program code where 'x' determines 'transition height' isn't exactly rocket science.  Hell, if I had access to the source code and knew where to find the line of code in question, I'd change it myself on my system!

But I think you underestimate the difficulty of the fix.  For the titler's shadow, it likely was a quick variable edit.  The titler is fairly self-contained and such a change would not have repurcussions elsewhere.

I doubt the transition height can be fixed with a simple variable edit.  And since the change will affect the timeline, I assume it will have to be tested extensively before going live.

• 29. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I just have to throw my voice in and say I hope none of the proposed changes ever get implemented.  The way things are now is the best PP has ever been.  I don't want to go backwards.

• 30. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                                                                    joshweiland Level 2

My proposal is for the changes to be customizable by the user. So everyone is happy!

• 31. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?

How would reasonably sized transitions be going 'backwards' Jim?

Larger transitions do make it easier to grab transition handles, as you've stated in an earlier post, and I agree.  So larger transitions do have their merit.  But do they really have to be as tall as 95% of a clip's height?  Didn't you notice that I'm asking that they be sized at 30-50% height, much larger than the little sliver they used to be in CS6?

It's kind of sad that for every positive change one person champions, there always seems to have to be a self-interested detractor that only cares about what's best for themselves, rather than acknowledge and support what would be best for everyone.

Contrary to those that want the current huge transitions, I want transitions that favor easy click-selecting in every situation: when the editor wants to select the transition, when the editor wants to easily see the waveform underneath, and when the editor wants to select the clip instead of the transition.  My approach would meet the needs of all editors, all of the time, rather than the current CC approach that does not and cannot.

joshweiland,

Adobe just recently made the change to tall transitions, so changing the variable(s) in the code that determine their specific height shouldn't be that hard, since the programmers wouldn't have to write much new code, but rather simply modify the recently written code, which is a lot easier.  Dealing with this problem from a code-perspective is probably very simple.  What isn't so simple is when egos get into play, since fixing this would be to admit to having made a mistake.   And egos would sometimes rather protect themselves even at the expense of others, in this case us, the editors.  After all, it's bullheaded egos that allowed the hard in/out point subclips nonsense to appear and go on for 7 years.  Hopefully this situation can be approached with sensible logic rather than ego.  In either case, I don't think it's for us to worry too much about how hard something may be for Adobe to do.  Each new feature should make a program better than it was before.  If it doesn't, and/or creates new problems, Adobe should fix it immediately regardless of how hard it is.  If fixing it does prove to be hard and take up a lot of resources, perhaps they'll be more careful before committing new blunders in the future.

I know I'm being somewhat harsh, but this isn't the first time Adobe has gone backwards with new 'features'.  This has to stop, both for our sake, and for the sake of the sensible programmers at Adobe whose time would be much better spend creating brilliant new features rather than fixing the poor descisions of insensible staff members.

• 32. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?

joshweiland wrote:

My proposal is for the changes to be customizable by the user. So everyone is happy!

Agreed!

That's my favored approach too, although it would certainly be harder to program.  So ideally, I would love to see a quick fix sooner than later (i.e. height set to a fixed percentage of something between 30-50%), and then as soon as Adobe can get around to it, the much more comprehensive approach of letting us decide...  Perhaps a slider in the Preferences window that allows us to change transition size from the minimum fixed scale seen in CS6, all the way up to 100% for those who so desire.

Individual editors will always know best what works for them.  So let them decide!

• 33. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                                                                          tclark513 Level 3

height set to a fixed percentage of something between 30-50%

Sounds like the best route!

• 34. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?

I said I'd post my official FR here for my proposed solution to the problem of unwanted transitions, but felt it deserves it's own thread.  Here it is:

Help Improve Premiere!  FR: Only apply transitions to selection UNDER the CTI

• 35. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                                                                              mde.tv Level 1

Just started using CC today and I can't believe how badly the transitions are screwed up. I will be using CS6 as long as possible.

Side-note: every time I check the Adobe forums for an answer it seems like you guys hit a new low. Specifically the "MVP" and +++ members chiming in with "if you don't like it you can take a hike," and "some people prefer the broken transition controls." What a bunch of whiners man. Face it: this is a big design flaw.

• 36. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                                                                                shooternz Level 6

I was the only +++ in this thread.  So are you aiming this comment at anything I said?

Nothing I said  reflected your

"if you don't like it you can take a hike,"

Meantime...I unsuccessfully  tried to track which of your 3 other posts identified   any relevant additional information regarding this "issue" or added to it.

So ..whats the issue?

• 37. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                                                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Face it: this is a big design flaw.

I've had no problems with selecting edit points under transitions.  And since selecting transitions in CC is even easier than in CS6, I see it as an improvement.

• 39. Re: New super wide transitions in Premiere CC over the top?
                                                                                    shooternz Level 6

I've had no problems with selecting edit points under transitions.

I dont either ...but then...I generally make the edit before I add the transition.

I am old fashioned...."if it doesnt work as a cut...it wont work as a transition"

1 2 Previous Next