7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2013 6:06 AM by Salah Fadlabi

How do I create a table of contents with a nested style paragraph?

apricotanna Level 1

I'm having difficulty figuring out how to generate my Table of Contents with a nested style. In this screen shot, "SPECIAL EVENTS" is considered level one and the pink circled "Fittest Firm Challenge" is level 2. Because it is a nested style, it is picking up the entire paragraph. I don't want to put in a paragraph break because that would add too much space in the magazine since there are a lot of other listings like this. I've tried reading through other people's discussions but I'm totally lost with the explanations. Is there a simple workaround or solution to this?
      screen-shot-nested-paragraph.jpg

• 2. Re: How do I create a table of contents with a nested style paragraph?
          apricotanna Level 1

Using cross references seems promising but the table of contents needs to be updated when a class has been added or removed. Here's another screen shot to show the table of contents..on the left where there is an XX is where the page numbers should go.

screen shot toc.jpg

• 3. Re: How do I create a table of contents with a nested style paragraph?
            peter minneapolis Level 4

apricotanna wrote:

I'm having difficulty figuring out how to generate my Table of Contents with a nested style. In this screen shot, "SPECIAL EVENTS" is considered level one and the pink circled "Fittest Firm Challenge" is level 2. Because it is a nested style, it is picking up the entire paragraph. I don't want to put in a paragraph break because that would add too much space in the magazine since there are a lot of other listings like this. I've tried reading through other people's discussions but I'm totally lost with the explanations. Is there a simple workaround or solution to this?
            screen-shot-nested-paragraph.jpg

You're asking InDesign to do something it's not designed to do, namely, to treat a nested-style section of a paragraph as an independent paragraph. That's called a "run-in paragraph" in Adobe FrameMaker, and it's been a beloved feature there since FrameMaker was introduced in '89, about ten years before InDesign.

You can make a formal feature enhancement request here: Wishform Many InDesign features have come into being from user requests, so lend your voice, and be patient. Explain why you think a run-in paragraph feature would be useful.

Others have asked about this, and there are a number of workarounds that may or may not be suitable for you. Let's hope that some of the more-intense forum folks can help you with a useful search term for this forum, so that you can review what's been suggested and tried in the past, and what results you can expect.

In the meantime, you might consider inserting the second-level heading in an inline anchored text frame in the paragraph. It will be an independent paragraph but you can adjust appear on the same line as following paragraph. Then you can extract it for the TOC.

Here's an example:

run-in inline anchored frame.png

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 4. Re: How do I create a table of contents with a nested style paragraph?
              apricotanna Level 1

Hi Peter, thanks for your input. The inline anchored text frame sounds like a great workaround that I tried. The only thing is that when I generated the TOC, it goes out of order. I'm not sure what is confusing the order (everything is on one layer). Here's a screen shot. I was sooo excited with your workaround solution...so close to the finish line, yet...

Wondering if I should give it up - if I'm asking too much of InDesign

inline text.jpg

• 5. Re: How do I create a table of contents with a nested style paragraph?
                peter minneapolis Level 4

apricotanna wrote:

Hi Peter, thanks for your input. The inline anchored text frame sounds like a great workaround that I tried. The only thing is that when I generated the TOC, it goes out of order. I'm not sure what is confusing the order (everything is on one layer). Here's a screen shot. I was sooo excited with your workaround solution...so close to the finish line, yet...

Wondering if I should give it up - if I'm asking too much of InDesign

inline text.jpg

Glad you got off to a good start.

As to the TOC order, SUPPOSEDLY, it follows a sequence on a given page from "top-left to bottom-right." I'm not sure if there's a clear definition of what this means in different layout scenarios. If all the content on the source page is in a single text frame, then I'd expect the TOC to respect that order. It's not clear from your screen shot if you have a single text frame defined with two columns, or if it's two or more separate text frames, either threaded together, or unthreaded (IOW, completely independent.) I recall reading that in some cases one pixel left or right can throw off the TOC sequence. If the "Fitness Advantage" colored area is an anchored frame or a background frame, it may have an effect on how the TOC behaves. You'll need to experiment. Try with a copy of the material, with the simplest possible layout to get the look you want, generate a TOC; if that works correctly, then introduce layout tricks one by one until you find what causes the disorder.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 6. Re: How do I create a table of contents with a nested style paragraph?
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I am not sure but as far as I can see in your screenshoot, that the frame for the title "Breakfeast Club" is NOT anchored. I think the order would be correct if you anchor it in the correct line.

BTW. I use a similar method to create tocs. E.g. with poems and song texts I have often the problem that the title is not seen as printed representation on the page but as the name of that poem or song and should be found in the toc with that name. So I create an Object Style with a Paragraph Style. The title is written in that OSt/PSt and anchored to the first verse of this poem or song. During working on the title I change these style to any easy reading colors. Later when it is ready, I change the color of to NONE. So it is possible to create TOC based on texts different to their linked paragraph.

• 7. Re: How do I create a table of contents with a nested style paragraph?
                    Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Another workaround:

1- Create a pragraph style for “SPECIAL EVENTS” level 1

2- Create a paragraph style included with nested style up to a colon (:) for “Fittest Firm Challenge” level 2

3- Create a TOC “the table it look like the image below (Before).

4- Click on TOC frame with type tool and select all text.

5- Use GREP find and change and paste this grep on Find whate:

\:(?<=) [\w+\s:,_\?].+$

on Change to: keep it empty

on Search: choose Selection

The result it look like the image below (After)

nested style.jpg

Hope this will work for you.