2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2013 10:39 AM by Laura Shoe

Photoshop CC Smart Sharpen vs. LR/ACR Sharpening

Laura Shoe Adobe Community Professional

Could someone articulate for me how Photoshop CC's Smart Sharpening differs from Lightroom (and ACR's) sharpening in the Detail panel? Do they approach sharpening differently? Is one more powerful than the other, and if so, in what way? Are there particular circumstances under which you find it worthwhile to use SS rather than stay with LR/ACR?  (I do see that SS allows one to control the effect in highlights and shadows.)

I have generally been sticking with LR sharpening, but want to be able to answer these questions intelligently (and be aware of circumstances where I should take the time to open PS and use SS).

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC Smart Sharpen vs. LR/ACR Sharpening
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Laura Shoe wrote:

Could someone articulate for me how Photoshop CC's Smart Sharpening differs from Lightroom (and ACR's) sharpening in the Detail panel?

The approach is potentially similar if you have SS set to fix lens blur and you have LR's Detail slider moved way over to the right (+50 and above). When set up like that, both tools can do deconvolution type sharpening...

Booth tools can set the sharpening radius and both have an amount (although I doubt the numbers relate–prolly a different scale).

With SS the sharpening is applied on the color data while in LR the sharpening is only on the luminance data. With SS on a layer, you can set the layer blend to luminance. With SS you can roll off and control the sharpening contours of the highlights and shadows. In LR the sharpening is preset to roll off the highlights and shadows so there's no user control.

In SS you can (in CC) can adjust noise reduction while sharpening. In LR you can as well. The only thing that SS can do that LR can't is to resharpen for motion blur. However, SS is pretty weak in that department compared to the new anti-shake filter.

Which one is better? 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. I would not leave LR simply to run SS on an image and be forced to work on a rendered image. I would do all the capture sharpening in LR and would only use SS if I was going to go into Photoshop anyway and even then, more likely to use SS for effect sharpening not capture sharpening.

• 2. Re: Photoshop CC Smart Sharpen vs. LR/ACR Sharpening
            Laura Shoe Adobe Community Professional

Thanks very much, Jeff -- this is very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to answer.  Among other things, I didn't realize that LR is preset to roll off the highlights and shadows.

Is there anything you can say that gives me a sense of what deconvolution sharpening is without getting into math? Otherwise I'll just leave this to you experts. :-)